Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Shoes On Gullet
9 Posts
No shoes are allowed on board a gulet, you have to put them in a box when you get on.
Definitely not allowed on their beautiful teak decks. As Kedi says, there is usually an old milk crate tied to the taffrail and you automatically drop the shoes in as you come aboard. I rarely go anywhere barefoot but the habit comes naturally after about 5 minutes. It is not just limited to gulets; whenever I have been sailing in the Aegean we seem to stay barefoot on board.
I have found that some do some don't. Worth asking before booking. I hate going barefoot even at home so I know where she is coming from.
I've sort of fancied one of those holidays. But definitely couldn't do the barefooted thing. I caught a fungus infection in my toe nails some years ago from going barefooted and it took a long time to clear up, in fact it's still dormant and comes back occasionally, so I could pass it on if I was to go without footwear.
I like to go barefooted around my own home, but not anywhere else.
Are trainer socks allowed on deck?
I would have thought so. Mind you she will have brown legs and white feet. If you are thinking of going to Pamukkale beware you cannot wear anything on your feet and walking on the limestone or whatever it is, is not good. I ventured about three feet and gave up. Nice to look at but not to walk on.
One gulet I went on allowed some of the guests to wear brand new flip flops on deck provided they did not wear them anywhere else. It's all about damage to the decking you see.
Hi, I've been on many gulet holidays. You would definately be able to wear socks of some description (maybe slipper socks?).
My husband wasn't keen on the idea of being barefoot when I booked our first gulet holiday. However, after 3 days aboard, we were going ashore and he had to put shoes on and complained that shoes were uncomfortable! Men!!!

I'm sure if you have a real problem that if you spoke to the captain he would allow some soft sole slipper type of footwear. They are just concerned with damaging the teak decks. The crew will always want to keep passengers happy so some solution would be found without a doubt.

If you go, have a great time. We rarely meet people who only do one gulet holiday. We are due to go on our 17th this year but we know people who have done 25.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.