Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Siberian Malta
7 Posts
Looks as though the ferry between Malta and Gozo may be cancelled. Where do people stay when this happens? :roll:
Hi M & N,

We were there this year in Feb and they had a hail storm. Could suggest that you keep off the road if the waether is too extreme otherwise it's no different to being back here in the UK - where you know we get such wonderful weather!!!!!

Trev
Hello Trev,

I remember the floods last February, because I arrived at midnight and foolishly decided to drive to Mellieha on the back roads rather than go through on the main route.
I did not know that the back roads were closed because they were being repaired! I was driving alone at around 2am and drove through a couple of small lakes that had replaced the roads :yikes

This year I shall stick to the main route.
Hi Trev and M & N, the weather was foul in February the same day that Trevor was driving through the blizzard in Mosta we were caught in an electrical storm in Floriana with very heavy rain, hail and thunder and lightning, but were any of you in Malta in September 2003 when there were huge flash floods, we were staying in The Imperial that holiday and as we were leaving to go out the Civil Protection Division were putting up notices on the hotel door suggesting that people only go out if really neccessary, being the brave chaps (or daft chaps) we are Mrs Sliema2 and I donned waterproofs and went out walking around Gzira, Ta Xbiex and Msida all the way round to Valletta and the rain was astounding, still had a fabulous day though but then we would we were in magical Malta.

Sliema2
Yes, it has been very wet over here today!
The TV news has just reported that the equivalent of the average rainfall for an entire month this time of year fell in just 4 hours today.
Luckily, today is Republic Day - a Public Holiday, so there was not much traffic on the roads.
The worst places hit were the central and southern parts of the island, naturally Valley Road has become a river as it always does whenever it rains.
http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=208731

I have never liked the idea of basement garages. Yes, it is the trend these days to save land and build a large garage under your house, but the ramp leading down to it can act as a funnel for the rain water. Even if you think your garage is flood-proof, it is always possible that something will be built close by to divert the water your down your ramp, or even through your basement walls. :bhead
Something to think about if any of you are considering buying a place here.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.