Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Singapore Airlines
124 Posts
debbi,

What dates are you flying on? The Tuesday and Thursday flights (SQ346/5) are opperated by a Boeing 747-400 and opperate via Zurich. This has been the case for quite some time. Flights on Mon/Weds/Fri/Sat/Sun (SQ328/7) are opperated with a Boeing 777-200ER and are direct.

Darren
Ahhhh, Darren, that explains it then.
I am flying out of Manchester on Friday 9th March. So I can expect it to be direct. Phewww, Thank God for that, the flight is wayyyyyyy long enough as it is.
What's a 777 like for seat pitch? always been on 747's before. Please don't tell me the 777 is smaller :cry:
Thanks very much, you've at least set my mind at rest over the stop off, now I'm worrying about the seat pitch on a singapore Airlines 777 :cry:
Sorry MariaH,
Thanks for your reply too :D
debbi,

What's a 777 like for seat pitch?

The aircraft won't be much different inside than the 747-400 in terms of passenger comfort. They have 32" seat pitch in ecomony configured 3-3-3 which is just the same as the 744, apart from that is slightly wider with a 3-4-3 configuration.

Have a safe flight,

Darren
If it's the 777-200ER, the seat pitch is probably 34"

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/Singapore_Air_Boeing_777-200_3.php

I used this site to pick my exact seats, which were then booked on line - 2nd row from back where there are only 2 seats next to the window, so no climbing over a stranger to go to the loo! They were quite reasonable for space - it's just a looong way!
MariaH

If it's the 777-200ER, the seat pitch is probably 34"

Well spotted, I looked at the standard version, not the lower density Extended Range version. Thanks for the correction,

Darren
Hi, I am flying out to Perth next Friday with Singapore Airlines. Is there anyone here flown recently with Singapore that can advise me on the hand luggage situation. I have been told that I can take 2 bags to the total weight of 7 kilo's, and I was just wondering if this is actually the case. ( pardon the pun )
:thanks
Hi debbi ... departing from any UK or EU airport, you are only allowed one piece of hand luggage through airport security checks. (More here).

With Singapore Airlines, First and Business class passengers are allowed two pieces when flying from airports outside the UK or EU which have no hand luggage restrictions. (More here).
Thanks for that David, I was hoping it was 2 bags, never mind.
thanks again.
Debbi.

ps. Darren & mariaH, thanks for yor replies from November, have only just noticed them :oops: :oops:
I've just booked flights with Singapore Airlines to Australia for 5 of us in October :D . I believe they are very good, but has anyone flown with them who can verfiy that?

Gill

EDIT: Merged with existing 2 page thread, which may provide some useful info
David HT Mod
They aren't as good as they used to be. I have flown with them a few times over the last 20years and their standards have slipped somewhat. If you are travelling on a 747 the seating is extremely cramped but I believe there is more room on the 777's. Entertainment system is excellent, service usually good, though a bit robotic and food is like all aircraft food sometimes good sometimes bad, rarely excellent. They are usually rated highly by holiday travellers and they are certainly a step above a lot of other airlines. Not my favourites though. I would want a stopover in Singapore as it's a long way to OZ and úsually by the time I get to Singapore I am ready for an overnight rest no matter which airline I fly with.
My Auntie If Flying From MAN-SIN

She Has A Baby 5 Months Of Age.

She is Wondering If Her And The Baby Can Have A Piece Of Hand Luggage So 1 For Her And 1 For The Baby.

Is This Allowed?

Any Answers Appriciated =D

Jamz1107
jamz,

You'll find your answer on SIA's website

Darren
Gillbabe, I have just returned from Perth last week, flying with Singapore Airlines. I have flown with a few other airlines to Oz over the years, including Singapore on a few occasions. The last time I flew with Singapore was 5 years ago, and I have to say that we noticed at that time that they gone down the pan rather. However, I decided to give them another go this year, and I was very, very impressed.
They have upped the anti again, and now offer once again, a really good service.
I travelled on a 777, and the seatpitch was great for me. The service was second to none. During the 8 hour light out period, they constantley came round about every hour, with food and snacks, sandwiches rolls, massive bags of crisps, kit kats, toblerone, apples and more besides. Also, they offered water on the hour also. Obviously, if you wanted the odd Singapore sling :pele etc, that was no trouble either.
I found that because of the food breaks, the journey passed much quicker than before they started offering the snacks.
I would reccommend Singapore airlines to anyone, and I intend flying with them to Oz again in February.
Debi.
First A380 service confirmed

Singapore Airlines has confirmed October 28 as the date for the inaugural scheduled flight by the mega Airbus A380.

The aircraft will fly from Singapore to Sydney, replacing one of three Boeing 747s on the route.

The 471-seat aircraft is configured in three classes: 12 Singapore Airlines Suites (on the main deck), 60 Business Class (on the upper deck) and 399 Economy Class seats (on both decks).

With permission from Travelmole
Im flying on Singapore Airlines' A380 from Changi to Sydeny in June and was wandering if anyone could reccommend a decent economy seat?

I've looked on seatguru.com but no one seat appears to be any better. Unlike the B747 that has some much better seats than others.

Thanks
James
Looks as if Singapore Airlines will operate the A380 from Singapore to London Heathrow on the overnight flights (flight numbers-SQ322 AND SQ317). March expected at the latest to be start dates.

Nivsy
SIA confirms A380 London debut

The first Airbus A380 mega jumbo to land at Heathrow is due to touch down on March 18.

The Singapore Airlines aircraft is due to arrive from Singapore at 15.05 following the airline taking delivery of a third of the 471-passenger aircraft.

The inaugural flight is also the first A380 commercial service to Europe.

The aircraft will return to Singapore on the same day, operating as SQ 319, departing Heathrow at 18.55, arriving into Singapore at 15.35 on March 19.

The A380 will commence regular scheduled services, operating SQ322 daily on the Singapore-London route.

London is the Airline's second A380 destination after the launch to Sydney in October.

Passengers holding tickets on flights from March 18 to Singapore from London will be automatically accommodated on the new aircraft without any change required. SIA said.

But those holding bookings, but not yet ticketed, may need to check if there have been changes to their fares as a result of the aircraft change.

Passengers flying on the service on March 18 will receive personalised certificates recognising their participation in the 'milestone' event, as well as limited edition SIA A380 souvenirs and exclusive premium giveaways.

Executive vice president marketing and regions Huang Cheng Eng said: "The A380 will provide a capacity expansion on the popular Singapore-London route.

"For the first time, an aircraft larger than the B747-400 will fly this route, thereby meaning more seats without the need for more frequencies to what is already one of the world's busiest airports."

With permission from Travelmole
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.