Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Flying from Manchester via Singapore to Auckland
Had a real shock to find that the hold baggage allowance is only 20K and that the cost of excess is £25 per Kilo to Singapore and £29 per Kilo to Auckland. As I am doing a stopover I will have to pay twice. Really worrying as I am away for 8 weeks and am doing a cruise as part of that 8 weeks.

Aircraft I am not sure but it will certainly not be the new aircraft perhaps 747?

Sue
keela1eva2,

SIA operate a Boeing 777-214/ER out of MAN. They used to operate a 747-400 on the tuesday and thursday flight, but that was dropped in favour of a 772. Your onward flight is also a 777. It might be cheaper to send other baggage as cargo.

Darren
Many thanks Darren

Is this the aircraft with the 34" seat pitch in economy? How would I find out about sending things via Cargo?
I will be in a hotel for 2 night Singapore then 2 nights in Auckland and then cruising for 14 nights before flying with Qantas to Perth on the 7th Dec. Staying with my brother from this date until the 12th January when I fly back to the UK.
How reliable is Cargo? Sorry to ask so many questions.

Sue
keela1eva2,

That's the one! For a seat map, click here. I've never used cargo to be honest, it'll be cheaper than the excess baggage charges they've quoted though! I looked in to in when I wanted to take diving equipment and cameras to Mauritius and had the same luggage allowance as you have and it would have worked out cheaper. I didn't take them in the end though. Try DHL. Looking at your itinery, I think it would be difficult to plan doing it that way with having the stopover, cruise and then Perth.

Darren
You are fantastic!! I have looked at the plan and yes 34" makes a big difference rather than the average 31-32"
Not sure what I will be flying on from Sydney to Perth flt QF 577 no!

As you say it would in all probibility too difficult other that to send the baggage to Perth for the 2nd leg of my holiday.
I will make enquiries and decide what to do. Do you find that most Airlines will now implement the excess baggage charges and do you have any info, on Singapore Airlines particularly?

Once more thanks a million.

Sue
keela1eva2,

Given it's over 13 hours (done similar flights myself), having that much legroom certainly makes a difference. I'd gladly pay that litle bit more than the likes of BA for that reason. I can only go off SIA's MAN operation, but you can set your watch by them normally. I was at MAN yesterday and 9V-SVM departed bang on time as it normally does. Given the increase in fuel prices, health and safety regulations and lower margins these day, baggage allowances and excess charges are more strict than they used to be. 10% over and you'll generally get away with it but anything more than that, expect to pay. Any bag over 23kg will be refused travel.

Darren

PS QF577 is operated by a Boeing 747-300!
Thanks again. I will have to keep the baggage allowance under the 23K as I would not want to be refused travel with it.
I will also have to careful with the hand baggage. Many thanks also for the info on the Sydney - Perth flight. I assume that the flight back from Perth to Manchester via Singapore will be the same aircraft as on the way out.

Many thanks for all your very interesting information. You are a mind full of data and I feel sure that everyone who uses this board is grateful to you. Well done Darren

Sue
I have booked the Singapore Airlines Stopover package in Singapore.
Includes airport transfers
Admission to many of the tourist attractions
50% discount off food in hotel
SIA free bus pass for the hop on off bus
10% in many stores with the pass
Hotels range from A to E E being the most expensive. I have booked the 5* Ritz Carlton Hotel for 2 nights and have paid £240 this includes a 10% discount for booking on line.

Hotels A category could be as little as around £40-50 per night. The transfers alone are well worth doing the package for.

Sue
Another query Darren

Do you think it would be worth my while asking if I can have a bulk head seat on the flight Manchester to Singapore and then Singapore to Auckland.
When I booked my ticket it was through Trailfinders and the only request I could make was for an aisle seat. I need to check in manually at the Airport as I require assistance with baggage etc etc. This is booked and confirmed but am I right in my thinking that I am not able to check in online??
I reckon that the flight will be pretty if not full and so I am anxious to be as comfortable as possible. I can sleep a bit these days whilst travelling I think as I get older! I am so looking forward to my travels and staying at home is never an option for me. I travel all over the world Solo and it is both exciting and very liberating!
You are wonderful in giving so many of us the benefit of your knowledge. Many thanks as ever.

Sue
keela1eva2,

Given you have booked through an agent, you'll have a paper ticket I would assume so may not be able to check-in online because of that. SIA flights out of MAN operate on very high load factors so as you say, it'll be a busy flight. Bulk head / extra legroom seating will be in very high demand. You can ask, but I doubt you'll get one. Frequent fliers and those who need them tend to get preference.

Darren
Thanks Darren and a very happy birthday to you!!
I am sure that I will manage and if could be that if there are children on board and a lot of them to be away from the bulkhead seats etc may be an advantage. Plenty of films books chocolate etc etc will all help to pass the time.

Many thanks again you are a star!!

Sue :)
keela1eva2 and Dazbo (For info),

I would strongly advise reserving your seat on line 48hrs before departure. Even with a paper ticket through an agent you can do this using the PNR Code shown on the ticket. If you have booked through Trailfinders, your booking reference will also be shown on your 'View Trail' itinerary.

https://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/CheckIn/nruCheckIn.jsp?JSESSIONID=LMTQvKBYTwmrpkJ52LPdvpVgK2YhkGLpnY5pSZy0ffMnhQX9YlnG!1215888520!NONE

It is also worth doing this for any onward or return flights.

If you have booked the SIA stopover package you MUST do the FOC bumboat trip.

Enjoy!

:tup Peter
Thanks for that. Yes I have booked the SIA stopover and will be staying at the Ritz. I will indeed do the boat ride and I am sure that it will be a lot of fun.
On my last visit to Singapore I did a tour and a few other things but time was short just 2 days. On this occassion I will have 2 full days plus my flight to Auckland is not until 21.00hrs which gives me most of the day.
Really looking forward to it and I will check in for my flight as I fear it will be pretty full etc.

Thanks again I am off to Dublin on Thursday just for 4 days but how I love that City.

Sue
One of my pet hates is that when flying economy, be in short or long haul, day or night flight, I can guarantee that the person in front of me will immediatley fully recline their seat and even at mealtimes will have to be asked to put their seat back and do so reluctantly. My son recently flew business class with Singapore Airlines and he was discussing this with the staff. They said that on Singapores new planes when one reclines the seat, it in fact does'nt come back on the passenger behind, but is designed to avoid this. Anyone have any news on this ? Alan
Hi, i believe that instead of the actual seat back reclining, the base of the seat actually slides forward,so doesn't invade your space.
gramps,

I haven't been fortunate enough to step aboard an A380 as yet since there's only 4 in commercial service and none of them grace the skies above the northwest. I've never been on one of their T7's either, but I'm working on that for sometime very soon :tup There's more informaion on SIA's website.

Darren
Darren, Having recently flown SIA T777 albeit high density config from Singapore to KL (hour flight) dont get to excited - cant say that it was anything special or different. Long haul maybe ofcourse better..and I like you am looking forward to stepping on board A380 although I understand one needed to be towed to stand after landing at LHR!

Nivsy
nivsy,

They are different configurations. The high density domestic aircraft have different cabins / seats to the ER long haul aircraft. Given it's a new aircraft, I think the A380 have a few teething problems. It's a bit like a new model of car, the first few off the line always bring up a few issues (I have experience of that, 4 manufacturer recalls and first name terms with the local garage!) but I'm sure they'll sort them.

Darren
I spoke to Singapore Airlines Customer Services today and told them that I have quite a bit of medical equipment I need to travel with me. Around about 1K in total weight. The customer services were terrific and she said that they don't really have a problem with up to 25K.
She however took my booking no and added a note to say I was allowed to carry 25K. She advised me to carry a letter saying that I was fit to travel long haul.
I do have a complicated medical history but nothing that prevents me travelling. I do carry a card with all the info as I can't be screened my Consultant and telephone no the date of my implant with the number etc etc. It shows a picture of how the situation is fitted.
I do have a letter already which I had before they gave me this special card but I will get an updated note from my GP. Also need to carry a lot of medicatiion and my holiday will be 8 weeks so a lot more. I always carry my script so that it is all noted on that.

I have had occassion to call SIA Customer Service or Reservations and the service has been second to none. This will be my first flight with them but I am impressed and hope to be suitably impressed with their flights and on board services.

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.