Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Sky Viewing Card
18 Posts
it may well do but you will get messages appearing like.. the viewing card is nor regesterd to this decoder

also if you read your tems and conditions from sky they definatly frown upon this

wizard
it will only work in the sky box the card is paired with so either take both sky box and card with you or none at all. Also you say the villa has sky which must have a card inside the box for it work though musn't it? Although it might not give you full package.

Sky will defo frown upon it though so best keep it quiet :D
Just a thought, but for the receiver to be pre set for Sky implies they only intend to rent the villa to UK or Irish customers as it would be no use to other nationals (would you be interested in a receiver that was preset to a German pay package??). Who are you renting off - is it possible that they mean they have a cable package that includes a few Sky channels along with a few German etc.???
It is a common misconception that your card needs to be "married"to the box in order to get any Sky channels. This is only partly true. The card will work in any box except for the Premium channels which are Sky Sports and Sky Movies. You will also not be able to get any PPV channels. The rest of the Sky channels that you have subscribed to you will get.
Sorry, for a minute I assumed you were going on holiday.
Taff Near Tavira wrote:
Sorry, for a minute I assumed you were going on holiday.

??
A holiday mean different things to different people so why should someone should care if people want to watch tv when they are away. We had a similar discussion a few years ago when some posters were quite patronising in their views on watching TV on holiday. It turned out that a family had asked about TV because they had an autistic child who needed hours of personal attention and watching TV gave the parents a well earned rest.
As long as the behaviour of fellow holidays doesn't affect me I wouldn't make negative comments about the way they spend their time.. I can't see what is wrong with an evening relaxing watching TV even if it wouldn't suit me. But we are going off topic. OP asked if he could use his own Sky Card he had a few answers which were probably useful, which should have been the end of the discussion but unfortunately too many posters like to criticise people doing something different to their own interests.
I have yet to receive the card, am I alone in this?
Do you mean the new card? if so I believe it will take a few months before all of them have been sent out.
I haven't got my new card yet either despite them advertising heavily that they would be sent out in April.
I believe that if you have got a new sky card it will be chipped & married to the original box, but apparently you will still be able to get freesat channels, so no point taking it if the place your staying in has freesat .
Jayjan, Thanks again for your advice. I should explain to some people on this forum that when you're on holiday in a villa with 3 small children under the age of 6, a little TV early in the evening before bed time can be a welcome breather!
Just found this weblink on new sky cards, could maybe some info there.
http://www.skyviewinghelp.com/
I'm still thinking you're only going to get a couple of Sky channels in either a cable package or through the Astra 1 satellite. Unless the villa is specifically intended for only UK/ Irish visitors I don't see it having a dish aligned with Astra 2 (which is the main Sky package and UK Freesat).
Took a sky card with us in April as there were 18 of us in a villa and it was still footy season.
Sad to report that it didn't work!.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.