Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hi,
We were in cayo coco in april/may of this year, stayed at Melia cayo coco. We found the snorkelling difficult due to the waves as the sea was often very rough. We also did a catamaran snorkelling trip and found that the snorkelling over the 'reefs' that they took us to was even worse, i am a strong swimmer and also scuba dive and i hardly did any snorkelling at all as it just was not enjoyable. The only way we found to do it was just to wear your mask and hold your breath for as long as possible. There are some nice fish to be seen just meters from the shore line but nothing in the way of reefs and if you have ever been anywhere like egypt or the maldives then you will be disappointed. However Cuba is a fantastic holiday destination and we are really looking forward to a return trip in a few years, get out and see as much as you can, try as many main land excursions as possible and if you are able take the trip up to Havana, its a lovely city and well worth the flight there.
Also just a thought, try the james bond style speed boat excursion, you have about half an hour to snorkel in the saltwater mangroves and they are flat calm.
Any other questions just ask!
Katie.
HI KATIELIND
thanks for that, maybe i'll leave the snorkling gear at home this time!!!
we've been to cuba tree times befor, but we gone to gaurdalavaca. theres a coral reef just about 100 metres offshore, and its fabulous. shallow till you get there but gets deep on the other side. sometimes to rough to get to it, but when you can really worth it.
and yes we love cuba too!!!
best wishes BOB :glynis
take a trip out in the glass bottom boat it leaves from the beach in cayo guillermo it leaves via the iberostar daquiri, we were at the playa coco for a few days but never saw the boat there but it was at the daquiri every day. it really is worth a trip out as they take you out to the coral reef and you snorkel till your hearts content for a couple of hours.
A lot depends on the conditions can recommend the cat trip the main reef area was a bit too choppy when we were there but they anchor up just off shore for lunch the water there was shallow and clear. The speedboats and snorkel ling is also a good trip and you get a free snorkel (was always a bit wary as to the borrowed snorkelsonthe cat and at the resort :( )
There are some photos of the area via my website below
thanks for that
BOB
I think it depends on the time of year you go.

A friend of mine who went in December said the sea was rough and full of jellyfish.
We have just come back and for the first 4 days the sea was like a millpond, no jellyfish, and I saw plenty of interesting fish off the Melia beach. Read my hotel report on the appropriate page. As Katie said it's nowt like the Red Sea!

Joe.
we stayed at the tryp in cayo coco last june (2006).

didnt do much snorkeling off the beach as theres not too much to see. however, you do get plenty of fish come right up to you when you are in the sea. they seem really inquisitive (sp) and fearless.

we did an afternoon excursion which took us into the mangroves in our very own little speedboat, following a guide. then went snorkeling just off a purpose built jetty miles away from anywhere.

it was fantastic! the amount of different fish and colours to be seen was incredible. going to cozumel (mexico) in a few weeks and will be looking to do more diving and snorkeling.
we went in August last year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.