Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
solitaire ring
15 Posts
I bought 18kt gold ring with princess cut diamond and 5 small princess cut diamonds either side, we paid about £300 for it and it was valued back here at £2000. We got it from the jewellers attached to the Highland Beach hotel.
Going back in March and buying another ring but don't know which stone to have yet...
thanks for your reply, we are there march 23 victor exotica
foofoo
If you're not already familiar with the 4 'C's of diamonds (cut, carat, carity,colour), I'd do some research before you go.
You can have 2 diamonds of 1 carat each and they can vary wildly in quality and price.

mrstella gave a link in an earlier thread to a website with information on diamonds, I guess there are loads of other sites too if you google it.

http://www.diamondhelpers.com/ask/askindex.shtml

I have a jeweller friend in Sri Lanka who has, over the last 10 years, given us lots of 'lessons' in identifying good and bad stones.
When we went to Goa in February 2003, we were shown, in two separate jewellers, 1 carat diamonds that were roughly the same price but one was of much better quality.
exellent advice will be careful
I bought a special ring for my 25th wedding anniversary from Chandras in Candolim, cost £1500 valued £10879

Not a bad return!!
Seems like a very odd number for a valuation? Neverthless congratulations. An excellent profit, wish I could afford the insurance!
Guru Jewellers just down the road from VE
Yep Guru's is excellent
:D :D I can believe the story of the ring valued at 10,000pounds my husband bought me a ring for our anniversary in nov my ring cost £400 and it was valued at £3000 you do get an odd valuation figure for some reason ours was £2974 apparently it has to be exact ,we went to a jewelers near the nizmar hotel calangute ,not the one in the hotel but in the lane up to the hotel :lol: :lol:
Also remember the valuations are for insurance purposes only, you would never get that figure if you tried to sell it.

A friend spent 4k at gurus on a 4 or 6 carat diamond ring, with one stone was valued back here at over 27k.

I have also spent around 1k over there on gold and diamonds and have had the lot valued at well in excess of 5k

However to sell them for that you wouldnt stand a hope in hell.
Just out of curiosity, what percentage of discount would it be reasonable to expect to negotiate on the first quoted price for a good quality piece of jewellery in a shop on the main street?
if you go into Gur he will give you the best price for th equality expected, no point haggling if you want quality.
yeah agree with vegasone, if u haggle all they do is put cheaper diamonds in.
Hi mrstella & vegasone
thanks for this information.

Over a period of time I've bought lots of jewellery from a chap we've known in Sri Lanka for 10 years and he always gives me a fair price for very good quality stuff.

I've bought some jewellery from Perry at Living Jewels and have been more than pleased with the quality and price, as well as the valuations when I return to the UK.

I guess I just wondered if I should be haggling over the price, but as you point out, in the case of jewellery 'you get what you pay for' and I'd rather have a good quality stone and lots of gold, than shave a little off the price and get something less valuable.

Cheers, both.

Polly
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.