Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
The main reason i travel to spain is to keep up with using the language, with this in mind i spent some time in Asturias, not a well known part of spain for brits but is traditional olde worlde spain. Very beautiful country especally travelling through the picos de europa. We stayed in Llanis and Ribadasella whilst exploring, Ribadasella has a nice beach. I took the car over via the ferry from Plymouth to Santander where its about 1 1/2 hours drive, theres plenty of traditional towns such as canga de onis, covadonga, potes, and the cable car at fuente de. Not suitable for most who just visit the costas as English isnt spoken widely and the weather can be more like home, but for a taste of real spain its an experiance.
Hi again Colinandrew,
What a coincidence I was just reading a post you made in another thread about Los Boliches and was going to pm you when I found you'd just posted here.

We're hoping to stick to our plan of train/bus from the airport to somewhere :think and was wondering how Los Boliches compared to La Carihuela. I think you could be just the man to tell me once you get back from La Carihuela :tup It sounds very similar so hopefully you can give me a good comparison on your return if you wouldn't mind.

I've asked about Nerja too but no response to that yet.

thanks
Hi Shirley, we stayed in Los Boliches at the Yaramar Hotel, right opposite the beach and really enjoyed our stay there.It wasn't over busy and not quiet either, I'd say just right to be able to stroll round without being packed.
A lovely walk along the front and plenty of places to visit by public transport.
The next time we went to Fuengirola we stayed further along near the Solhail Castle in a beach front apartment, and we absoloutley loved this area, in fact we went back again 6 months later. It was really laid back, and just a very short walk away from the sea front is the more Spanish orientated shops/bars/restaurants. Again there were plenty of places of interest to visit and the walk along the front took you to Fish Alley and all the amenities that area has to offer. The apartments we stayed in are called The Dona Sofia, if you Google them you will get lots of information about the area. If there's anything else you need to know, just ask...... :)
Thanks for the suggestion WWAS. I'll do a search on those apartments and have a little read. The area sounds good- As I said I don't want your typical British tourist traps and we're looking for somewhere we'll see a lot of Spaniards and Spanish eateries :tup
I prefer the los boliches area to central fuengirola, its quieter but theres still plenty of decent restauraunts and bars, away from the front theres some nice more traditional spanish establishments. Last time i stayed i noticed a rise in the african traders that seemed forever cruising the tables selling their wares also prostitution seemed on the increase though thats mostly in central fuengirola where i was propositioned umpteen times. I always go the first week of october to coincide with the feria which is a great time to visit, the huge fair on the market ground with all the music and rides etc coupled with the locals all in traditional dress gives a good atmosphere, if you get up early morning you can also catch the bull run through the streets. Ive only spent limited time in la carihuela but i would say its more laid back than further up the coast. I stayed at Ronda1V which is right on the front about a 5-10 min walk from the train station, its an aparthotel that i have always found value for money and clean, it has its own bar and shop just left out of the hotel the cheers bar do a great menu and their spare ribs were superb if its still the same people, most brits tend to use the only fools and horses thats close by too. The ronda has its own beach opposite and theres some nice seafood restauraunts along the promenade.
Nerja is a lovely little place small winding streets with lots of little touristy shops, bars and plenty of places to get a meal. The balcon de europa is a well known beauty spot offering lovely panaramic views of the med, sitting at a bar here with a cool beer enjoying the views and sun is a nice way to relax, last time i was there a brass band were playing strauss waltzes in the background, just seemed to add to the atmosphere. The most spectacular place to visit is the caves which is worth a look, you have your picture taken on entering with the option to buy at the end if you wish. Just a little distance away is the white village of frigliana which featured once on an episode of wish you were here, a typical andalusian village and a nice diversion. Nerja is only a small place so is easy to do for a day, you can get a train into malaga then a service bus.
Thanks again,

I've had a look at the area of Los Boliches and it does look good :tup My hubby's thrown me into a dilema now by suggesting I might like to go to Egypt instead :duh He was the one that said a couple of years ago, he preferred our Easter not to be about sunbathing and baking hot temperatures as we'd experienced and enjoyed a different type of break in Spain. He's said that as it's a special birthday of mine close to Easter next year that he'll let me decide :rofl I always decide anyway. What he means is that he won't interfere and tell me what he'd prefer. Decisions, decisions!
If it has to be Spain then Los Boliches is nice but more of the same. Nerja is a good place for a change, the Costa de la Luz is a good choice too.

You could do a Nile cruise...you won't regret it. :gluck
Decision's been made- I booked for Sharm el Sheik before lunch :)

Thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it will come in handy for future reference because we will def be back to Spain soon.
Hi whitewineandsoda. We have booked a week at the Don Sofia in August :cheers. Understand they don't have a pool :( . Is there one nearby we could use?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.