Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
If they have places the new etap is probably the best choice if you want southampton central.

Cheap, brand new, good location.

http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/fichehotel/gb/etp/6209/fiche_hotel.shtml

On our last trip we were going to drive(2hr) same day but needed something last minute in southampton, looked on laterooms,

We ended up at the Winston, 15min walk to the center.

It is a pub/hotel, lively place on a sat night cheap breakfast we skipped
We had a en suite room in the converted house at the back there are room in the pub building.

Very basic contractor type hotel but clean and functional for £40(normal £50).

Would use again for a 1 night pre-cruise if they have the £40 rate
http://www.thewinstonhotel.co.uk/

There were a lot of B&B's in the area so might be worth a search.

Another option is the travel lodges at winchester(£19 special in advance) 35 mins from the port.

My parents used the Holiday inn at basingstoke(£51) and this about an hour away so still plenty of time to board in the morning.

Also near Southampton and on 1 or 2 night special is a de-vere so could be a nice start to a cruise.

http://www.deverevenues.co.uk/find-venue/new-place.html.

I think anything within a 2hr drive is worth a look since you usualy cannot board till 11:00. depends which direction you are coming from and which day you need a room on what will be the best option.
Many thanks Windjammer.

I am coming from North West and it will be a Saturday night.

Kath x
I have stayed at the Jury's Inn in Southampton. Will cost more than the Travel Inn etc but is quite a nice hotel. I would stay there again. I got a taxi from the Airport asked for a quiet room with a view and I got an upgraded room overlooking the Park.
Next am I walked up to the main shopping area returned to the Hotel and got a taxi direct to the ship.
I would recommend this hotel.

Sue
That give you a couple of options on routes, M5 or M40 if you want to break up the trip down

Sat traffic is not so bad an early start Sat will get you south of Brmingham in 2-3 of hours and leave the rest of the day to explore an area, pick a nice place to stay/eat still be in striking distance of Southampton for an early boarding.

Anything South of Oxford on the M40 side will 1.5hours away some nice places away from the motorways off the A34 to look at or a bit outlet shopping at Bicester village if that appeals.

On the M5 side South of Cheltenham will be 2hrs or less.

http://maps.google.co.uk/ has a good drag and drop route finder
I have booked the Etap hotel both pre and post cruise in September. It only opened in January and is only £32 a night with breakfast at £2.95. It is near the Ibis and Novotel which are slightly better hotels. It only has double beds with a bunk above so might not be suitable.

Kath, I would see about booking sooner rather than later as it is the Boat Show in Southampton I think the first 2 weeks in September so most of the hotels will be booked up. I know when I was enquiring as far back as October that some were full booked.

I would suggest contacting the Southampton Tourist Board as they may be able to help.

Good luck with finding something and let us know how you get on. Will look for the other topic and merged it in case there is any information there.

** Edit - I could have sworn you asked this before, but I can't find any previous topics.

luci :wave
Yes I thought I had asked before lol.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have to have either two single rooms or one twin (as my brother wil be with me)

Kath x
can anyone recommend a good hotel next to southampton docks
If you don't mind Travelodge type hotel then you could try Etap which is just below West Quay shopping centre. It is less than £40 and quite clean, just bring your own soap as they don't provide any!!
I have spilt the above two posts from another topic.

You can't get much closer than the Novotel, Ibis or Etap which are all on the same complex.

The Etap is £32/night and £2.95pp for breakfast. Rooms sleep up to 3 people with a bunk over the double bed. I found the bed extremely hard and uncomfortable, but it was OK for one night.

luci :wave
Yes friends of mine stayed here and they vowed never again. They didnt sleep all night.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, it was very comfortable.

Kath x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.