General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Oh no!!! Not again!! Haven't heard anything but was only thinking that this time last year I was spending nearly all day in front of my computer screen looking for news!! :cry
This is the only thing I can find after having a quick scan.

It says that any strike action for later this month has been cancelled due to an outcry from the Spanish tourist industry. Phew!! :really

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1302108/Spanish-air-strike-called-Britons-holiday-normal-August.html
That article appears to refer to last year's proposed strikes. But with August Bank Holiday Weekend coming up soon, we should really expect the media to be predicting doom, gloom, strikes, holiday chaos, etc any day now.

David :wave
:whoops Sorry!!! Must have been the wave of panic that set in!!

Here is a recent article that states that the strikes were cancelled in March. There were also dates set for the summer that was called off. Cannot find anything else regarding strikes - as yet!

http://gospain.about.com/b/2011/03/09/spanish-air-traffic-control-strike-dates.htm
That's right, later posts in this topic in Airlines & Airports refer to those strikes which had been planned for various dates in 2011:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=147295

David :wave
It wouldn't matter now if they did give notice to call a strike, I'm afraid it would be fruitless because apart from being able to declare a state of emergency by the Government, they (government) have now (claimed) to have trained sections of the military to use the tools the ATC's use, as well as learning English, and are confident that they can keep Spanish airspace open.
Franco will be turning in his grave.

Sanji
you sure it was the Spanish? The Germans are in dispute and were going to have a strike last Thursday but called it off at short notice for further talks - but it's still possible. Most flights from UK to Greece and Turkey are routed via German airspace.
The Germans are in dispute and were going to have a strike last Thursday but called it off at short notice for further talks - but it's still possible

They had a court injunction served which deemed the strike illegal, so they had no choice but to call it off, however the German ATC's are calling for another strike tomorrow (Tuesday)

In Spain it's the ground staff, they have just released the dates they intend to strike in August, but as the pope is coming to Spain, I think everyone will pull out all the stops to prevent this, and it may be either called off or put on the back burner until he has been and gone.

http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_31592.shtml
Tuesday's German strike has just been given go ahead by courts. But it's only for 6 hours in the morning.
Typical of the DM and their slap -happy journalists.
The strike was called off yesterday because of AENA's decision to reinstate four workers at Barcelona airport.

Why do they always show Benidorm.? is that the only place the DM journalists know in Spain.? :think
Anyway, Good news for those travelling on those dates.
typical DailyMail quote "Thousands of British tourists arriving in the Balearic islands today ......." - do we assume from this that the Germans, Scandinavians etc arriving there weren't affected? Or have they simply written the story badly - and if so what else might not be accurate?
I think you have to read the important line (the strike has been called off) and just ignore the rest when reading the DM.
I get a little annoyed with their lazy journalists because just a quick simple search on Google would have told them that the intended strike was over 4 baggage handlers based at Barcelona Airport, and it was about the unions wanting Aena to meet the conditions of the collective bargaining agreements, which were not being adhered to by some companies using the airport, the 4 workers being made redundant was the final straw, but most people only want the message IE the strike is off"¦.. and the rest of the story, (to make a story), is nothing more than lazy journalism because what they should be doing is reading the Spanish national paper (El Pais) and you can subscribe to an edition in English, so there really is no excuse for this level of journalism.

I have a quick browse through the DM on-line most days, but if anybody caught me buying the Daily Mail, you have my permission to shoot me. :wink:

Sanji
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.