Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hubby and I have recently come back from Gumbet, we were there for a week. We spent £1000, we are drinkers, couple of drinks in the day, and a few at night. We ate out for lunch and evening meal. We went to the aqua park, and the 1 day gullet cruise, which I can highly recommend. We didn't scrimp at all either, what we wanted we had. I think you should be ok.x
I am sure you will have more than enough!

We usually spend about £1600. We don't drink during the day (unless on the mega diana boat trip lol) but do fill our boots on an evening. We are a family of 4, (children 5 & 1).

We spend quite a lot in the supermarkets tho, prob more like £200 out of our £1600 on kids drinks, soft drinks, fruit & snacks. I think their supermarket are a lot dearer than ours.

You will def have plenty tho! Have a lovely time! :D

Love Nikki xx
I'm sure you will have plenty. I know the exchange rate isn't brilliant and people say that prices have gone up but it's still cheaper than here. One of the main costs will probably be soft drinks - they're dearer than drinking alcohol (that's my excuses for my vodka and cocktails anyway!).

If one night you've spent more than usual, you can always cut back the next and maybe have a cheaper evening meal. As you're self-catering, have a trip to one of the supermarkets on the road out to Bodrum (past the statue at Gumbet Junction) - it's cheaper than actually buying stuff in Gumbet centre. We always go to one of them as we have a house in Gumbet so stock up when we're there - and also go to the Sunday market for fruit and vegetables.

We fly out on 8 September and can't wait.
what i dont get is if the wages are so low in turkey then how can the locals afford to buy anything there if even we think its so expensive

something very wrong somewhere i think
me and my partner are going end of september for 2 weeks and we are budgeting about £1200 for 2 weeks - we dont drink during the day but we like a good drink in the evening (effes and raki) - we will eat out most evenings and snacks maybe a breakfast during the day - we will do one boat trip and then dolmus the area - perhaps we should raise our budget a bit????
dont know much about sc nowadays because we have kids we have gone allinc for the last 4 years but even when hubby and i last went sc we spent £900 in 2 weeks and that was in alcudia ...... 14 years ago!!!
louietudor- I would take that amount, and take a credit card/visa e.t.c just in case.
If you take a look at one of the 'just got back' threads on here, you should be able to gage how much you will need. Most of them tell you how much they paid for things like drinks, meals, trips etc.. That's what we did. Theres two of us going (Olu 8th Sept) and we are taking £1000 for two weeks. We reckon that will be plenty.
i took £1200 for the 4 of us for 2 weeks and it was plenty even went to the market i took my debit card with me though just incase i needed it granted we didn't do any tours but will do next year,when we were there the exchange rate was 2.40 lira

suzie :)
Hi there,wow thanks for all the really helpful replies,you have all been most kind!!
I feel a little better now,and im pretty sure we should be ok :D
Many thanks,luv maz,xxx :sun2
Awww bless ya maz, you will have a fab time!

Love Nikki xx
she'll have a better time if she took all of us with her LOL

suzie :sun2
Yeah you will have loads! i wouldnt worry about it :)
Unless your this madd ass woman (my next door neighbour), who reckoned she payed £8 for her grandaughter a slush puppy in icmeler lmao !

yeah and I payed 50p for my HD Tv! :rofl
Hi nikki,thanks hun,cant wait now!!just got the packing to do,and i hate that,lol :)

Hi suzieg,lol,you can come if theres room in my suitcase,hehe!!

Lukkee0705,£8 for a slush puppy,lmao!!I no turkey is more expensive than it use to be,but i doubt if they would get away with that,lol :haha

Will post my review when i get back!!!

Thanks again to everyone,luv maz,xxxx :tup
I think you'll be fine with that amount of cash, we came back from Gumbet 6 weeks ago and spent about that much, we like a drink tho but have 1 less child than you so it should level out!! To give you an idea of prices, you can get a Steak Meal Deal (any steak off the menu with veg and chips) plus a large beer or a bottle if wine for 25 lira at Cafe Columbia, best steaks ever!! If you want to spend less try a restaurant called Seray Zetas, it's more traditional Turkish kinda food (although they do serve steak etc too), lovely surroundings (no loud blaring music while you're eating), a Turkish casserole from there is only 9 or 10 lira as are most of the traditional Turkish kebab type dishes, you also get complimentary melon plate and coffee afterwards, we ate there loads this year. It cost us £10 for a days boat trip. In most places a large beer costs 5 lira although some places do Happy Hour, one place was 1.5 lira! can I recommend my good friends bar, Bar20, right at the top of the Bar St hill, on the left corner, opposite the windmill, it's a fab bar, large outdoor seating area, breakdancer show every night, excellent service, our friend is called Ozay, say hello if you pop in! Also if you like a curry then the Bombay Cottage, next to the Windmill does the best Indian food I've ever tasted abroad, it's an al lyou can eat buffet with apkora's bhaji's etc for start, for I think it was 25 lira.... This was our 5th visit to Gumbet and we have booked already for 2009, we love it! Where are you staying? Anything else you'd like to know, please ask! :)
Hi Vix,thanks for all the great info,that has really helped!
Although we have been to gumbet before,it was over 2 years ago,and i know things have gone up since then,the cafe de columbia was one of our fav places,last time!!
The steak meal deal sounds very good my hubby is a big steak eater!!
We are staying at the dilek,never stayed here before,but no its opposite the columbia!
3 more sleeps and counting!!
Many thanks again,luv maz,xxxx :tup
You will love the Dilek!! We have stayed there the last 4 tiems we visisted Gumbet, it is fab. The staff are ace and will really look after you, really nice clean pool & bar area, good food, etc. The Turkish night they do there is really good as well.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.