Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
I think you'd definately like Stalis. Theres a nice beach, plenty of bars and restaurants but its not too over the top. I stayed there with my girlfriend last September and we really enjoyed it. The restaurants were good quality and bars catered for all ages - quieter bars with pub quizzes etc, coffee bars, karaoke bars, Irish bars usually with a live singer/band, music bars and discos etc. We spent a night over in Malia when we fancied a mad one. Wouldn't have liked to stay in this resort - too hectic and full of 18-30s - but good for one night. Would definately recommend eating in Malia Old Town. Hersonnissos is also close by and good for a change of scenery aswell. Can't comment on Kalamaki as I've never been.

Steve
I've been to both Kalamaki and Stalis and whilst I enjoyed both I did prefer Stalis.

The beach at Stalis is much nicer, plenty of sunbeds, nice clean sand but not great for swimming because of the strong current. Kalamaki beach is protected because of the nesting turtles so there is no facilities/watersports and very few loungers although the sea is very calm.

Stalis is a bigger resort than Kalamaki with a lot more choice of bars, restaurants and shops but because of this is a lot busier. Kalamaki does have some nice bars and restaurants but we found it to be more family orientated and quieter. Both have the advantage of being a 5 min taxi ride to the 18-30 type nightlife in Malia/Lagana.

In my opinion there's more sightseeing and trips in Crete and it has a more traditional feel than Zante. Stalis has more to keep you entertained for a fortnight, I think Kalamaki is ok for a week.

Only thing is that Crete is further south than Zante and can get unbearably hot, esp around the time of year you're planning on going.

Claire
We went to Stalis couple of years ago with our teenage daughter and her friend.
We loved it. Lots of really nice restaurants and bars stretch alongside the beaches - so in the evening
when its hot eyou get a lovely breeze ( and you will need it in August)
The beaches were also great lovely soft white sand and clear water.
It is quite lively and they do have some open air bars that show the latest films on huge cinema screens.
And of course football. We thought the choice of restaurants were good and lots of them.
Malia the town next door is much more 18-30 so best to not stay there but visit.
Agree that there is much more to do in Crete than Zante more trips - and there is a good waterpark not far away. Oh yes and you must go on the Greek Night - an organised trip takes you into mountains to a village and large venue with lots of different dancers and entertainment - 3 course greek meal and unlimited wine!!! is inlcuded - above the stage the ceiling opens up to reveal the stars - very good night well worth the cost.
Wherever you go - have a brilliant time.
We first went to Kalamaki a couple of years ago and have since been back four times, due to go again this year, We love Kalamaki because it's full of couples. We are both 23, and enjoy a nice meal, a few drinks and games of pool in the evenings, and we get that in Kalamaki. There are no loud, young people there, but if you want something livelier, Laganas is about 10mins drive away.

Quite a coincidence, but we've always fancied going to Stalis. Tingaki in Kos is also supposed to very similar.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.