General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I daren't mention not having had to replace any items recently as I know damn fine what will happen :yikes

I've a G-Ram sweeper which doesn't have a flex and use a mop and bucket to clean my floors ..... Not much use to you am I Sanji? :rofl
Aha...thought of a short lead.....the one for my IPad !!!
My tablet, the computer type not an electrified Asprin came with a very short charging lead which was a pain, so I bought a much longer one, problem solved I thought. No it took twice as long to charge :que
shrimper wrote:
My tablet, the computer type not an electrified Asprin came with a very short charging lead which was a pain, so I bought a much longer one, problem solved I thought. No it took twice as long to charge :que

I had the same problem with my Asus tablet, as I like to have in plugged in at the back of the settee with the lead draped over the arm and whilst I'm sat using it, I could plug it in and charge up the battery.

My son bought me a cheap extension lead and I found it took twice as long to charge up....I moaned at him about it (as mother's sometimes do :lol: ) and he bought a more expensive one, which has no detrimental effect on the charge time.

I've since changed my Asus tablet to a Sony Xperia for several reasons..... the Sony is lighter and thinner, the screen isn't a fingerprint magnet and it was impossible to see things outside in bright light on the Asus....now instead of guess work, if I use the camera on the Sony in the same conditions, I can see the subject.

I'm using the same extension lead and it works fine with the Sony.(charging up at the same rate as it would without it attached)

Shrimper, I have no idea about cables :oops: but I seem to remember that the cheapo extension cable was the same thickness as the original lead supplied with the tablet .... obviously with the correct end connections.
The second extension lead is slightly thicker and made by Belkin.

HTH's

Sanji x
I think the official excuse for short flexes for small kitchen appliances is safety.
Fiona wrote:
I think the official excuse for short flexes for small kitchen appliances is safety.

Well if it is, it's failed. Our kettle ( short lead) and toaster ( short lead) both stand in front of wall cupboards located approx 12 inches above the appliances. To prevent the kettle steaming off the veneer from the bottom edge of the cupboard above, we have to pull it out away towards the front edge of the worktop and there's just enough flex. The toaster is worse, the hot air would not only melt the veneer above, but burnt toast might set the cupboard on fire. To avoid this we need to pull the toaster as far forward as possible, but the lead is pulled taut trying to stop us from doing this. :que
Frank wrote:
Fiona wrote:

Well if it is, it's failed. Our kettle ( short lead) and toaster ( short lead) both stand in front of wall cupboards located approx 12 inches above the appliances. To prevent the kettle steaming off the veneer from the bottom edge of the cupboard above, we have to pull it out away towards the front edge of the worktop and there's just enough flex. The toaster is worse, the hot air would not only melt the veneer above, but burnt toast might set the cupboard on fire. To avoid this we need to pull the toaster as far forward as possible, but the lead is pulled taut trying to stop us from doing this. :que

That's the same problem I have and the leads on the new appliances are definitely a lot shorter.
Is it for safety? well one way of looking at it is........if you shorten the flex enough so that it can't reach the edge of a standard work surface, then it can't be reached by small children.

On the other hand, the price of copper has gone through the roof in the last few years, so if manufacturers shorten the length of the flex and you times that by the millions upon millions of appliances made..... the savings could be considerable.

And on the other hand.....it kindda defeats the safety aspect by shortening the flex, because it causes people to use extension cables, and If you don't use the correct type of extension lead to withstand the current (amps) of electricity from a particular appliance, they can become overheated and a fire hazard...... anyway, a microwave pulls a lot of amps and is not designed to work with an extension cord, so the idea of shortening the flex on a microwave, I would lay a bet that it's a cost saving exercise.

Whatever the reason, it's peed me off not being able to put my new microwave in the same place as my old one. :cry:

Sanji x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.