Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Summer 2007
8 Posts
travellers chqs or uk sterling is fine

i love olu deniz for the lovely lagoon, its around 38 miles from dalaman and if you take a private taxi you can get there in an hour, as the roads are fairly windy and steep. olu deniz has lovely scenery if you want a bit more nightlife and restaurants then hisaronu is only 5 mins away by taxi or dolmus, hotels are slightly cheaper here, just depends if you want to be within walking distance to the beach or not
Claire

Totally agree with Ellie Meg, Olu Deniz is beautiful, nice lagoon, beach, not too many bars, restaurants and Babadag mountain. In addition, as echoed by Ellie Hisanorau is only up the mountain with more bars,shop and restaurants, but personally the air quality was not so good further up than Olu Deniz.

I wanted to cry when coming up the mountain back to the airport. Will defo return back. Possibly my favourite place of all time :wink:

good luck

kazee
Agree with Ellie & Kazee, thought we went away with another couple last year. Thay stayed in Olue Deniz and we stayed in Hiaronu in August time. Our friends love Olue but would not go back as it was very hot,even though it is by the cost, and on the occastions we went down for a meal we found it to be conciderably hotter than Hisaronu. We were getting the dolmus down quite regulary and it only takes about 5 mins.
Transfer times should be greatly reduced next year as the new tunnel will be open by then & its going to cut the transfer time in half, about 45 mins.
not MY favourite resort but the beaches in Side cannot be faulted.
Nightlife is as much or as little as you want.
There is one (I think only one) night club and the usual assortment of bars and restaurants.
One tip, if you do go to Side, try and book on of the hotels that the germans use, they are far superior to the ones used only by Brits.

Personal choice I know, but I didn't think that Olu Deniz was as good as it's supposed to be.

del949
Depends what you're looking for. I've been to both Side & just returned from Olu Deniz. I found the beaches better in Side i.e soft sand but it was not very attractive & the nightlife not as good. Olu is very picturesque & you have a choice of beaches - the main beach is stony & steep as you go into the water, but the beaches at the back of the lagoon are soft sand, shallow & calm. The owners of the beaches run free buses which pick you up from your hotel & take you back when you want to go. The nightlife whilst not brash was fairly lively with several music bars. I don't know if there were discos/nightclubs as we were not interested. The bars entertained us enough & our hotel bar stayed open as late as anyone wanted to drink. There were loads of good value trips available, a nice 'chillout' area by the main beach, and in 14 nights we did not have one bad meal.
i agree with you sandie having also been to side and olu, i found olu much more scenic and i didnt like side and wouldnt return there but thats my opinion, but it does depend on the individual what suits 1 doesnt suit another
Oh but ellie Side has much more to offer its visitors than sand and sea.
They have collonaded sreets, that are all lit up at night
An Ampitheatre
The Columns of Apollos Temple
A musuem of Turkish Antiquities.
And ruins of the ancient city scattered all round the resort.

But your right, it doesnt do for us all to like the same things.

Gene
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.