Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
TBH I was worrying about that Luci, thanks for your advice.

:tup
Hi

We are thinking of going here October half term. We have been before in 1999 and loved it. One of our best ever holidays and we have been to many "5 star" resorts all over the world. yes the accomodation is very basic but we still loved it. We went as a young couple and had a blast, and as we had such a good time we would like to take our kids aged 8 and 4 there.

Could you please let me know when you come back what its like for your kids.
What we liked was that the entertainment was outdoors along with the disco. My daughter does dancing and so everywhere we have been I can't dance with her as its for over 18s only and indoors so if the outdoor disco still happens she would love it. When we were there we taught a couple of kids to do the cha cha and it was great to have fun with well behaved kids.

Is anyone going half term?
Mrs Big-Si has asked to to try and find out if you can go topless in the resort pool area or not? :sun2
Hi All,

My husband and I went into Thomas Cook this evening on our way home from work to book a holiday. Not sure of where we wanted to go, we advised the woman that we wanted an all inclusive beach holiday. We ended up booking a two week stay at the Sun n Sand Beach Resort in Kikambala, Kenya. She showed us some reviews on her screen and they all seemed good ones but since coming home and reading reviews online I'm really worrying as some mention that there is in fact no beach there :cry Is this correct? We made it clear to the woman that all we wanted to do is lay around on the beach for the two weeks so I can't see how these reviews are correct as she would have said so wouldn't she?! She offered us Egypt at first but said it was quite shingly there and we said we wanted a sandy beach which is why she then offered us Kenya.

Please can someone that's been there give me the truth? I'm getting quite upset at the moment :(

Thank you.
Is this post for real. I would think the name of the hotel would give the game away. :que

Maybe I'm being too cynical. Yes, there is a beach at the Sun n Sand Beach resort.
Yes, this post is for real. Why would I post it otherwise?? :que

One of the reveiws I read said there is about 10 foot of sand when the tide is low and I read it on this website.
Welcome to the forums debbyds. Have you seen the website for the Sun N Sand Beach Resort:
http://www.sunnsand.info/

You will be able to access several videos from the 'Resort Menu' on the right hand side of the page. The 'Water Sports' section includes video of the beach.

David :wave
The reviews on this site say..

'By the name of the hotel Sun n Sand you would think there was a nice white sandy beach which you are given to believe there is by the brochure well there not at low tide there there is a small stripe of sand'

'There is not a lot of beach at the hotel, probably about 10ft wide and there are no sunbeds on it'

This is what I want confirmation of as this isn't what we were led to believe by the travel agent.
Hi debbyds ... I have now merged your enquiry with this existing 3 page topic about the complex, which may provide you with some additional info, and perhaps also now attract further feedback from members who have stayed there and are subscribed to this topic.

Thank you David. I appreciate your help.

I think the video confirms my fears. There isn't much beach between the hotel wall and the sea and is this when the tide is out or when it is in?

Considering how much I made her aware that my main want was beach, I think I should have been told this by the agent. :( Is there anything I can do? Am I entitled to change my destination? Any advice would be gratefully received. I would also like to hear from anyone who has actually been to this resort.

Thank you.
Debby

I apologise for making a flippant reply to your post and hope I can redeem myself by giving you a bit of info. about Kenya beach holidays. As you said the beach is very narrow but it does exist therefore the Travel Agent wasn't incorrect. I did quite a lot of long walks on the beaches near to your hotel some years ago and there are some hotels with just small strips of beach. The beach hotels in Kenya usually have large sandy and grass landscaped areas and lovely pools where there will be lots of sunbeds but very few will have sunbeds set up on the beach probably due to the fact that most hotels don't own stretches of the beach and the constant hassle of beach traders. So for someone who likes to spend the holiday totally on the beach this obviously isn't suitable. Whether the travel agent should be aware of this I really don't know. Unless the travel agent has a personal knowlege of the hotel in question she will have to believe what is printed in the brochure but you could ask to change hotels. Your best bet for better beaches would probably be the ones south of Mombassa but most beaches will have their fair share of beach sellers who can at times be a nuisance.
Hope you get a result to your satisfaction.

Judith
Hi Judith,

No need for apologies :) and thank you for your reply. Just to let you know, I went back to Thomas Cook this morning and the ladies there were brilliant. They happily changed my holiday to one in Cuba with no charge and even gave us premium flights each way, free carparking at Gatwick and free health insurance. I cannot fault the service we received. The beach in Cuba looks absolutely stunning and I've started counting the days down already :sun2

Thank you to David for your help also!
Thanks for the update debbyds, I am pleaseed to hear that you have secured an alternative holiday which is more suited to your requirements, and which you can now start looking forward to. Well done to Thomas Cook too !!

Debby

Where in Cuba are you going ? The beaches are fantastic. Pale golden sands and turquoise seas, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Judith
We're going to Melia Cayo Guillermo Hotel, Cayo Guillermo and it looks like paradise! I can't wait!! :D
I haven't been to that part of Cuba but if it's anything like the other beaches in the country it will be lovely. I have read reviews in Trip Advisor and it sounds great.
I hope you have a have a fantastic holiday.

Judith
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.