Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I had a two week break at the Sun'N Sand just before Xmas and had a thoroughly good time. The place was spotlessly clean which is unusual for me to notice. Staff were friendly and the animation team do a superb job trying to prise you off the sun loungers but don't pressure you too much. Service can be slow during busy times but getting a drink from the bar before you go into the main buffet restaurant can solve this. Nightime entertainment was basic but most people are in bed by midnight to enjoy the early sunrise. or safaris.
You will be harassed by the Kenyan beach boys who will not take no for an answer, they want to walk you to the reef, to their village, selling you keyrings and necklaces. I did find this an annoyance and it put me off using the beach. There is a market type village outside the entrance to the complex and again, they will have the hat off your head before you return. Save your shower gel and shampoo from your room to give to the villagers or the local orphanage - they also desperately need kids clothes. The animation team organise a visit to a local school so pens, books and especially sweets are all welcome!
Hi Infoangel
You wouldn't like to be the first HT member to do a review for this hotel would you? Review page is hereI'm sure it would be a great help to many members!
we are also looking at this hotel and would like to know about snorkling from beach, and boat prices. thank you :lol:
Everest
I am going here on the 28th Feb had some photos sent me, the hotel looks fab, and I have been told the staff are fantastic, but I have also been told that the beach is a no no due to the beach boys, which is a shame as I like to snorkel, but I will still take my gear with me just in case. Everest are you the guy that goes to the coral hilton in Nuweiba, cos thats our best holiday so far,(been 5 times). Anyone who has more information please post. By the way do we really need to take malaria tabs being the end of the dry season.
Cheers
Pete & Ann
:glynis :sun
Pete, that's us. Mrs E posted the original enquiry - you can tell that as she doesn't know how to get the capital letters. :lol:
For all you snorkelling fans going to Sun N Sand, go see Chad in the watersports hut on the complex. We booked a snorkelling trip where you are collected by a mad rastafarion who drives you down the coast to another hotel where a tiny glass bottomed boat complete with two guides will take you out to the reef. They provide snorkels, masks and fins if required but I had my own. They also have a cool box with water and soft drinks (included in the price of the trip).

The snorkelling site was busy with other boats but follow the guide who will make sure you dont miss out on the fascinating array of underwater life - much more varied than the Carribean! It seemed like we were down there for ages, all the other boats had gone when we came back up.

After the snorkelling, the boat took us to a kind of reef type island which appears at low tide. This is fairly slippy so consider your footwear beforehand - something that you can wear in the water that wont fall off you feet is good. Here we looked in all the rock pools and found a stranded eel who proceeded to regurgitate what looked like half an octupus. The guides will show you all the starfish and let you hold them if you want (but they feel icky!).

We left the hotel at 1030 and were back by 1430ish. Think it was 2000 kenyan shillings each but it was worth it and we even considered doing the trip again in our second week. Dont forget you suncream as he ended up with a scorched back from this outing.
What about the jet skiing fans? Can we do this at Sun N Sand? I'm going there March 17th-24th.

What's a good amount of Kenya Shillings to have for a week's stay?

Outside of the safari i'd like to Snorkel, jet ski, visit TAKAUNGU village, Ngomongo cultural experience, etc.
From memory it can't be done at the hotel but the boys down in the watersports hut do offer Jet-ski rides which I think happen in another part of resort. It was something we were going to try as the price was quite reasonable (dont recall that either!) but didnt get round to it.

It is difficult to say how many Kenyan schillings you will need as it all depends on how much time you will be spending in the hotel (not spending!) and what you would like to do. Most of the tour operator excursions can be booked through your rep on a credit/debit card but if booking locally you would need cash. There is a cashiers desk at the Sun'n Sand to exchange money but probably not at the best comission rate. However I do recall seeing a Barclays Bank building on the road from Mombasa which may help if you get caught short. Always best to take a bit more money than necessary but do remember to barter all the time! And be careful if buying excess duty free as our bags were searched upon entering the departure gate prior to boarding the plane. Not that you would do that of course!
Flying out 14th April for 2 weeks, is anyone else on here going around that time? :D
Hi
Just back from there, you will have a great time, rooms/staff/food all very good, the beachboys can be a bit of a pain but they didn't hassle me, I just said that Henry or Martin were looking after me(they are the most popular) and we were left alone. If you want any info let me know.
Cheers
Pete
Hi Pete

Thanks I do have a few questions, Did you get much rain? Can you recommend a safari for this time of year and do you use Kenyan Shillings for tipping?

Cheers

John
Hi BFB
Yes you tip in kenyan shillings, we only tipped the lad who carried our cases to the room, as for the waiters etc, they don't expect tips but you can if you wish, you will need to get some small notes, it was 117 to the pound last month, but normally you get 500 or 1000 notes, so for tipping you need to get 50 or 100 shilling notes, there is a bank at the hotel and I never got charged for changing cash.

We had five cloudy days which included two rainy ones, hopefully the weather has picked up for you although its still 35c daytime and about 28c at night.

As for the safari we went to the Masi Mara booked with Henry & Martin on the beach and saved £250 english, they work for Bamburi travel and it is registered and insured, we had a fantastic time, the rep in resort will tell you not to use them because he wants all the business, we did the 3 day tour to the masi cost £750, everything is included apart from drinks. You can also do Tsavo East/West which is much cheaper as you don't have to fly, people who did this trip also saw all the big six. so it depends on what you fancy.

If you do decide a trip try and take American dollars cash then you won't get ripped of by there exchange rates, one tried to take 6% of my card (didn't happen though).You will be bound to see Henry or Martin so don't be worried about booking with them they are sound, the only diffence is that you get picked up at the hotel gates instead of reception everthing else is the same, if you do use them say hello from me and tell them I recommended you they will be chuffed to bits, Henry has a yellow capp with his name on it and probably wearing my Blackburn Rovers Top, they love football tops so if you have any old ones you don't want they will love you.
Hope that helps
Pete
Thanks Pete, all packed now and looking forward to it. I will write up when i get back and post a few piccys!

Cheers
John
Pete
we are going out there in July is there much to do for the kids as we have 3 boys
Thanks
Hi Antonyn
Just read your message (sorry) depends on how old the boys are, plenty of pools to have fun in and the animation team are great, they can keep the boys busy all day, there is a games room as well.
Not a place where you can wander out as you will be hassled by the locals, but there are plenty of trips to go on, my recommendation would be to use the beach lads.
If you decide on any trips it's a quarter to half the price of the tour rep, so a family of five is a big saving, and yes they are insured, we went to the Masi Mara on safari and had exactly the same as the people who booked through the tour rep only I saved about £350 from the tour rep prices, if you decide on any trips ask for Henry or Martin you can't miss them their baseball caps have their names on you will definitely have a great time.
Happy holidays we are off to Taba Egypt in June can't wait
Pete & Ann
Hi, we are thinking of booking this hotel for our wedding next september. can anyone give us any info regarding the hotel. We have tried to find some photos of the beach but havent managed to as yet. Could anyone mail us any photos???

Thanks

Dawn n Adi :D
hi, really like this hotel but theone1 thing putting me off is that it says 3 out of the 4 pools are salt water, has anybody been there, just wondered how salty they actually are, is it like being in the sea? Its such a shame as i really like this hotel, i noticed that the pool goes all around the hotel? is this one of the salt water pools?
any feedback would be greatful
many thanks
Hi Love the sun
We stayed there in february this year and we used the pools and I didn't think they were salty at all, just like a normal pool, the one you are talking about has a swim up bar and loungers. The hotel is super we had a great time, I can send you some photo's if you want, just send me a PM so I can email them to you.
Cheers
Pete
:glynis :sun
Hi all

Can anyone help?

What is the dress code for men in the evening? Do they have to wear long trousers to dinner?

Also, was there a big problem with mozzies at night - would it be better to wear long trousers anyway?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Lee
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.