General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sunbeds
21 Posts
I am just like you! I can't stand sunbed reserving.

Anyway, we went to the Beatriz Palace & Spa in Fuengirola at the end of April, so while it was a quieter time of the year, there was a still a vast poolside area with loads of sunbeds. So I would imagine even if the hotel was full, there would still be sunbeds available in both sunny or shady spots. (No doubt a few still reserved too :roll: )

Lovely very good quality 4* hotel, on built last year and about 15 mins walk to the centre of Fuengirola, or about an 8 euro taxi ride.

LisaMJ
I would say the Holiday Village
Beach Club part dosnt open untill 1000 so no-one can put their towels down before that.

Carol
If I go down to the pool and there are no sunloungers left and it's obvious people have "booked" sunbeds and cleared off, I just remove them.
If I go down to the pool and there are no sunloungers left and it's obvious people have "booked" sunbeds and cleared off, I just remove them.

You have to be careful of this and make sure the sunbeds have not been paid for to officially reserve as some hotels operate this however saying this I often remove towels when its obvious the above doesn't apply - they don't own them.
I know, I'm just talking about the saddo's who get up at 7am to reserve several!
Slightly off topic, but have just returned ( today) from Minorca, and our hotel had sun beds to spare, Wander down around 11am and find sun beds empty . ( and these are right next to the pool/pools) helped that the beach was close and great.

Never, repeat never had a problem . Check out San Falco , Calb'n'Bosh
in the paper recently it stated that it was actually illegal to reserve sunbeds, people are in their right to remove towels from sunbeds that are only occupied by a towel and that the owners are no-where around. most hotels have a sign up sying they shouldn't be reserved anyway so always refer to that if anyone gets uppity!!!
I don't mind people who lay on a sunbed for a little while in a morning, then leave the towel there while they go for lunch. It's the saddo's that I mentioned above, who then don't return until the afternoon.
What about renting a villa instead?
That may be an idea to save you faffing about.
I don't know about Spain but we go to Protaris in Cyprus and the Capo Bay hotel have a system where you get allocated a sunbed for the duration of your holiday and it's yours and yours only! If you wish to move positions you see the pool attendant who will re allocate you another bed when one becomes available ( which they often do due to the turn over of guest )
Now that sounds like a great idea, your own sun bed for the duration of your stay. I think every hotel/appartment should have at least 1 sun bed for every adult staying at the hotel. :roll:
:wave Like Planky we too have stayed at the Capo Bay, Protaras. Your beds ( complete with umbrella ) are there whenever you want them! Don't know why more hotels don't adopt this system..... :roll: Very civilized. Linda x
:x Hi all the worst Hotel i have stayed in for hogging the sun beds is the Monika holidays in Benidorm, we would look out of the balcony around 8 in the morning and all you could see was a mass of towels on beds and not one person around, i think they went back to bed after doing their morning ritual! We would end up sitting on a chair all day that's if you were lucky! In the end i got so fed up watching people putting towels on sun beds and then going out the back door to the beach for the day, i threw the towels on my chair and took the sun beds, they never came back untill 5 oclock that day and then started moaning about their beds, what a cheek!
If all sunbeds are reserved with no one about I go to reception and ask if it is OK for me to remove the towels.They always agree,so if the offender turns stroppy(usually at midday!) I tell them to go to reception to complain as they told me to remove the towels!.
Good tip! Jay, it bugs me as well, I think, 80% of problems I have encountered on holidays were due to the selfishness of other travelers! One year in Cuba, people were putting their towels down the night before, during the evening entertainment. The staff would go round once a night at about 11pm and remove the towels, and put them in a heap, but the people would sit in the bar, or watch the entertainment, waiting for the staff to go, then they'd put their towels back on! My mum and I take whats left, we are early risers anyway, about 6-7am to watch the sunrise, then I have a shower, and spend 30 minutes putting on my sunblock Then I have to wait another 1/2 hour for it to soak in, so I pack the bags and get dressed while my mum has her shower and gets ready, so it's 8.30 ish when we go to breakfast, but we go without towels or anything, then after breakfast, we return to the rooms, pick our bags up, and off we go, we often find a semi decent spot. If not, we settle and move our loungers to just before the sea!
What can be really annoying too, is when the towel is on the sunbed for much longer than the person!
Half of those whom put them on are 75% of the time away from the sunbed anyway! :evil:
When we went to Lagotel in Majorca, each morning at breakfast they would announce that if anyone had put a towel on a sunbed to reserve it, if it was not occupied within 15mins, it would be removed.
Sure enough each day they kept to their word and you would see a huge pile of towels taken off beds, and placed on the outdoor stage.
It is always the same ones too. We would watch a man each day do an olympic run to his sunbed as soon as the pool gate was open-Saddo!!
The sunbed sinario comes up again,I totally disagree that sunbeds should be allocated this leads to the pool attendant being bribed for the best spot.Futher if someone has a poor position ie only 4hours when the bed is in the sun why should they not be allowed to move if the people who have the best spot are on trips and never use them,first come is the best way,BUT just leaving towels on all day should not be allowed.
Hi All

Why don't hotels allocate sunbeds to rooms. If you have four people in a room then they should have that room number on four sunbeds, if there are six people in a room have six sunbeds with that room number on and so on and so on. Would save a lot of early mornings for the people who get up at the crack of dawn to put their towels on them and would also benefit those people who say wanted to go to the beach in the morning and the pool area in the afternoon - they would know that they always had a sunbed.

Jackie
It really annoys me too. But I tend to be an early riser and usually go B&B in Greece.

This means yo can get up for brekkie, dump your stuff and towels on a sunbed on the way (usually a couple reserved at this time but not many) have breakfast and reach the pool at a reasonable time.

I see this as a ligetimate reservation, because it only been 40 mins or so, and then I use it most of the day.

I sit there in the early morning sunshine while its still quite cool and very peacefull watching people come out and reserve 6 beds at a time. Invariably they don't turn up to use them until after lunch, then only use half of them, then disapear again after a couple of hours.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.