Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Sydney hotels
10 Posts
Hi Ina

When in Sydney we have stayed at the Menzies hotel you can get a train from the airport and get off at Wynyard station just across the street is the hotel door it is an accor hotel and mid price range
http://www.accorhotels.com.au

At the moment they have $50.00 deals an night going on on some of there hotels for January you will not beat this deal any where they have dearer hotels also we use them most of the time out here
The Menzies is in the heart of the city the rooms are ok to our standard of thinking it is a older hotel than some of the others but the location is good most of the dearer hotels in this group are very good the cheaper ones you get what your money buys the deal was on most of the hotels for Dec and Jan. but they have been snaped up so it will have to be lucky if your date is still there if you want a harbour veiw look at some of the others what hotels have you looked at
Thanks Chubby
All booked, 6 nts at the menzies.
Hi Ina

You should like The Menzies when in Sydney go on a ferry at Circular Quay one train station back or you can walk 5 blocks down George street to it and take ride on one and have look at the bay and go up George street to the Queen Victoria buildings and have look inside very good arcade and while you are in that area go to Market street and go up the Centre Point Tower best lookout of the city
welcome to HT balletgirl :D
We've just got back from Sydney and had a great time. We stayed in the Darling Harbour area and found the easiest way to get around was to use the Water Taxis. Just like the Monorail you can get a day pass and go right up to Manley Beach, plenty of stop off points along the way and if you come back at the right time, you get a cracking photo shoot chance of the Bridge, Opera House and sunset.
For a budget hotel, have a look at the web site of "The Glasgow Arms Hotel", which works out at about £50-£60 a night for a double room. We didn't stay there, but it looked O.K.
Hi,
not a great expert on Os but one of my clients has a number of properties in Sydney. Not sure if he can help with info but you can try contacting him through the website. A bit of local knowledge can be useful and sorry I could'nt help..
  • Edited by MarkJ 2007-12-21 16:58:50
    Advertising link removed (again) - hmmm ban coming up me thinks
I stayed at the Travelodge Wynyard on York Street. It was well located for the Rocks, the Bridge, the Opera House, Darling Harbour and the monorail.

Although it was reasonable priced, I felt it was very basic. This suited us at the time, as were were spending two days in the Blue Mountains and I didn't want tp pay to retain a room in an expensive hotel for two night I wasn't using. This was part of a larger trip, so the basic room didn't borther us as we were only there for a week in total.

However, on departure, I was handed a bill for use of the internet in my room, via a laptop I don't possess, and for white wine from the mini-bar which my wife and I never drink. They cut these from the bill when I complained and pointed out I wasn't carrying a laptop, but they didn't seem to happy about it.

I would have taken it further if my transport to the airport hadn't been waiting for me, as I suspected the internet may have been used by someone else whil we were away at the Blue Mountains.

So, if it's a reasonbably priced, well located hotel you want, it's worth considering. Just be sure to keep tabs on everything you use and check your bill when leaving.
Jay Jay
I've asked for that hotel to be added to our reviews. If you could, it would be great to get even a star rating. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.