Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
thanks
118 Posts
Hi Shyam17,

Our room was a standard one and it has a hair dryer.

If I am not mistaken, I believe breakfast was served until 11am.

For evening meals, the pizza served every night is vegetarian. There is also salads and various vegetable dishes. The rice is good too although I am not sure whether they were steamed in stocks or not because I thought they were very tasty.

I saw a kid's club and pool. And yes, at night, there will be a mini disco for the kids.

We were brought to the Hotel by Longwood in a coach and that was air conditioned. The ride was about 45 minutes.

Hope that helps a bit. Have fun!!
Thanks for the info i'll keep all you tips in mind:) thank you
shyam
Can anybody tell me the cost of hiring snorkel, mask and fins (staying at the Hyatt from 21st Nov for 7 days). I heard it was quite pricey ?
Just wondering if it's worth buying my own to take over.
Thanks.
Chris
we hired them on our first day in Nuweiba - it was about £2 per day for the mask and snorkel or £4 if you wanted fins as well. We dedided after the first day that it would definitely be worth buying our own and picked up some from the shop on site - as Briar says, they were quite expensive for what they were, and we wish we'd bought some decent ones over here before we went. Still, we'll know for next time now!
Personally I always prefer to use my own snorkel and mask. Its like a toothbrush.

As many years ago one of my bosses said to me...
There are three things in life that one never shares with anyone else... the wife, the car and the toothbrush - I guess we should add the snorkel and mask :lol:
edited by Biff to remove coloured font
Have to agree with Swisssinai. A mask needs to fit properly, don't want it leaking. Cheap fins and tube are Ok but get a good mask from a dive shop (they'll be able to show how to make sure it's a good fit without needing to dunk your head in a bucket of water). Shouldn't cost more than £30 - and trust me, once out there you will get your moneys worth.
hi
going to taba heights staying in the hyatt regency

it will be my first time to the red sea

any one been to this hotel?

is there any places worth a look?

thanks kevin
Hi there, We stayed at this hotel last year it is beautiful, and very new it is however egyptian owned, that may sound daft but most other hotels are owned by the big companies, anyway one tip when you get your drinks you will be charged a local tax, pay for it then, dont run up a bill at the bar because you will be taxed every time you get a drink, it soon mounts up, the other alternative is to put it on your hotel room, somehow this isn't taxed every time, they do have their ways. having said all that the hotel is really good the food you wont complain and the coral is at the beaches edge, I have heard that they are also doing special offers there at the moment.You will love it
Regards
Pete.
Sorry I get carried away, You are almost on the border with Isreal so you can go to Eliat or even to the dead sea stopping off at Massada on the way also if you are adventurous you can go to petra in Jordan which is I have to say one of the wonders of the world. You can fly from taba airport to cairo in 45 mins to see the pyramids or you can go to moses mountain down the cost past Nuweiba at st catherines monestry. after all that you will need a holiday. We have done them all egypt just grabs you and you cant stop going back. Have a lovely time
Pete.

:lol: :lol:
Just some clarification...

Most hotels ( and I would say 95 % plus ) in Egypt are actually owned by Egyptian or Arab investors - and not by the big companies ( which I presume is meaning the large hotel managment companies such as Starwood ( Sheraton brand and others ), Bass ( IHC, Holiday Inn etc ), Ladbrokes ( Hilton ), Marriott ( Marriott, Ritz Carlton etc ) and so on.

These large brand names are operating the various large resorts under management contracts or franchising their name out.

The tax sitution is confusing. On all hotel services a 12 % service charge ( and in the case of 1 - 3 star hotels 10 % ) is applied. On top of that and the cost of the service a 10 % sales tax is then applied. However, some establishments ( restaurants and hotels ) display the prices inclusive of these charges and some exclusive of these charges. ( So keep your eyes open ). However, by law the breakdown of the service and tax should be shown on the guest checks.

However, on all guest accounts a further 2 % municipal tax is also applied - so if you do not pay cash for a meal or drink and you sign for it, the hotel is obliged to add 2 % on all the extras ( and accommodation if you are an individual traveller without a prepaid holiday package plan ) which then goes to the regional government. ( Some hotels do not implement this but prefer to underwrite the 2 % in order to avoid inconvenience and aggrevation at check out ! ).

There is also an entertainment tax which off hand I can not remember off hand but I think its about 15 % which is applied on all meals and drinks where there is live music played or shows, ( DJs are counted as live music ). This entertainment tax also causes quite a bit of friction between guests and hotel staff, especially when there are special shows in hotels where food and drink are served.

I know I have digressed completely off the original topic ( I have nt stayed at the Hyatt but have looked it over and I do like it and prefer it to the Marriott - just personal opinion ). But I think the info might enlighten some poor confused souls !
Sorry I stand corrected by the previous enlightened message, I can only explain what happened to me when I stayed there, I was not complaining but trying to explain what costs I had to pay. I did also comment that the Hotel is very good.
Pete.
that is very interesting and i also stand corrected as i assumed the names we recognise,like the hilton and marriot are the forign money taking a grasp. we always assume as the big hotel boys of the world move in wherever and whenever to monopolise, the faceless investors who cream off the profits,
for me i prefer the smaller more personal guest houses and hotels where the owner is actually at the helm perhaps along side his manager.
for more the experiance is all a part of getting close to the local comunity
Yeah we went in Nov and are going again for New Year. Its great for the money and the best in Taba. There is nothing in the immediate area but Petra was the best day trip i've ever done. We organised it with Max tours by the front door rather than the rep. Also went to Mt Sinai which was Ok. Could do a day trip to the pyramids in Cairo although a long day but planning on going at New Year. We've also booked to go to the Dolphin reef in Elait just over the border which you can book direct to go swimming with dolphins. http://www.dolphinreef.co.il The snorkelling was fantastic right off the jetty by the hotel.

Food and service ok for Egypt but nothing compated to Dubai and you should love it for the cost.

Enjoy.
Hi Tom Tom, did you book the dolphin reef through their website? I am going to the Regency in June and would appreciate some more info on the subject of the dolphins!

Thanks
Jilly
We are going to Taba on 31/01/2005 can anyone advise on temperatures and what clothes we need to take. Will it be cold hot ??
We are going to RaddisonSas
Thanks fro the info who is swiss and how can I contact him
Hi John,

Welcome to the Egyptian forum!

Swiss posts here under the name Swisssinai, he lives in Nuweiba and is a mine of information.

If you look through some of the drawn out topics you'll come across a post from him and you can send him a message. However, i'm sure he will respond to your question when he comes online this evening.

Regards,

Roger
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.