General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Do you mean will he be able to take it on the plane or whether it will work in Lanzarote?

No problem with taking it on the plane but not sure whether he'd have the correct cables to connect it to the tv out there.
Does he have a PSP which may be better to use as small and portable and does not need to be connected to mains, just supply of batteries
Hi Shirley he means will it work over there, thanks.

Miss pink - yes he does have lots of other things, e.g. iPad, nintendo dsi etc, so I'm not sure why he wants to take his playstation. To be honest I think he's hooked on a particular game that isn't available to play on small games consoles.

I just don't understand why he can't live without it for 2 weeks, because if he thinks he will be spending a lot of time in the apartment playing the playstation then he has another thing coming.

Luckily I dont have these problems with my son :tup
I just don't understand why he can't live without it for 2 weeks, because if he thinks he will be spending a lot of time in the apartment playing the playstation then he has another thing coming.

Would suggest that it was a case of "oops... forgot to pack the lead" but then you might spend the holiday trailing round the shops trying to find one. Still he would get out and about doing so.

Just had a bright idea. Post the question again and we say that it would be illegal :( t hen show him our answer. You can always rely on the members of HT to help you out, :rofl

fwh
I did actually think about saying it wouldn't fit in the suitcase, but then he'd say he would take it as his hand luggage.

Thanks fwh, what a great idea. What could we say it is illegal for? :rofl
Hi yummymummy

We took one to mainland Spain, recently, apartment was fairly swish and had 2 40" HD TV's and PS3 worked fine on one, didn't bother with the other as it was in mine and DH's bedroom. You just need to make sure you take the right cable with as well.

It was carried as hand luggage, wouldn't put something so expensive in the hold. It went in the tray at security seperately, I saw a few so expect it is common for those with teenage boys to take them with.

Goodness knows if it would have been insured if it had been nicked from the apartment. It was a risk we were prepared to take. Complex had security gates that you aim a remote at and they open slowly for you drive through, but I doubt an Insurance Company would take that into account. :duh
the only problem i can see is that the TV's in Europe work on a slightly different standard to the uk [if you want to use the aerial input] but this shouldn't affect a SCART connection, and here come the rub... most hotels/apartments have cheap portable televisions which don't have a SCART input :que
Perhaps yummymummy would be best off sending an email to the hotel/apartment ?
It would be a pain in the butt (as well as the chance of it going AWOL :( ) to lug it all the way there if he can't use it. DS was made to carry it and deal with it himself. The Tv we used had a SCART.
You could always get him to buy a new one from the "Lucky Lucky Man" down on the beach!

;) ;)
Only problem I can see that's not been mentioned is if you pack it in hand luggage and security ask for your electronics to be switched on so you can prove they're genuine. Not sure what they'd do with a Playstation 3 that only runs off mains, depending on the member of staff, I could see it being confiscated due to him not being able to turn it on..
?????

So what about all the hair dryers and battery chargers etc that only run off the mains?

The main issue is the SCART lead, followed by will the hotel let you mess with the connections.
followed by will the hotel let you mess with the connections.

Spot On! I can see our complaints section being flooded with tales of being charged to put things right. The normal items we take on holiday simply plug into the mains socket. Once people start on retuning the TV we really are moving into uncharted territory. But I thought the idea of going on holiday was to have a change from our everyday lives?

fwh
fwh wrote:

But I thought the idea of going on holiday was to have a change from our everyday lives?

fwh

Maybe if you are 65, but I don't think many 14,15,16 year olds are actually fed up with or need a change from their current lives.

Loads of electricals go through security that can't be switched on so I really wouldn't take any notice of that. It's just a matter of if the hotel has decent enough kit to to have a scart socket.

Plugging something into a scart socket is hardly messing about with electrics, it's not like you have to take a screwdriver out to something, you're just plugging something in to a socket that is there, like you do with anything else.
My son took his PS2 to Majorca last year, plugged into the tv in the apartment ok. Just had to use to plug adaptor that was all.

He took it in his hand luggage along with his PSP and all the leads etc, security did open the case and swab it for explosive material though. :)
It is very frustrating when you turn the TV on in a hotel bedroom to find that it has been re-tuned! It happened to me in Riga, when I was desperate to catch up on Eastenders .... back in 2004 I should mention, especially when I couldn't get it on my 'home' tv in France!!

I think hotels will get very unhapppy if their guests were to do this on a regular basis!
You don't need to 'retune' a TV to plug in a PS3, but surely anyway if you have paid for the hire of that TV for the week in your room rental you are entitled to use it on whatever channel you wish to ?

When is Switzerland recently we had a digital TV with at least 20 channels I feel we are entitled to view any one of them ? It's not our fault if the next person in the room isn't intelligent enough to work out how to put it on the channel they want to view :que

This particular TV had a way of switching from French to English to German depending on what language you wanted to view in.

No doubt we left it on English, but it wasn't rocket science to put it back on to French or German, it was a sophisticated piece of kit and designed to be used as such, by people who appreciate such things.
When is Switzerland recently we had a digital TV with at least 20 channels I feel we are entitled to view any one of them ? It's not our fault if the next person in the room isn't intelligent enough to work out how to put it on the channel they want to view

it was a sophisticated piece of kit and designed to be used as such, by people who appreciate such things.

I don't think there's any need to insinuate that Alacienne is too thick to know how to change channels on a TV. As far as I can tell she clearly isn't talking about simply changing channels - but re-tuning or re-setting the inputs to the TV.

You can't just a plug another device into my TV at home and expect it to work without re-tuning or re-setting it and unpluggin it doesn't just take you back into being able to view TV channels. I have cable at home - and most hotel TVs will be cabled too, even if only on an internal network - and every time the Virgin box is re-booted or you switch between using the built-in DVD the TV has to be re-tuned in the sense that you need to change which input source you are wanting to use because it will have reverted to the 'factory settings'. It has not 1 but 2 SCART sockets and you even have to select between them - it's not just a case of plugging something into one of the SCART sockets and immediately seeing the output from that source on the screen. You won't if the TV isn't set to the correct SCART socket.

I certainly had a frustrating time - including being on the phone to Virgin's call centre staff - when shortly after the cable service was installed and I replaced the old TV, it appeared that I'd completely lost the TV service. Turned out that my niece and her Grandad had got 'button happy' when trying to view a CD of photos and once I knew this, it was easy to sort out but only once they told me that this is what they'd been up to! I now know better - and whenever I switch the TV on and get the floating 'no signal' message, I first of all check which input source it is set to. Not something I ahve to bother with except when the button and gadget happy relatives are staying!

I'm not a great TV watcher when on holiday but if away on a work trip I'll often watch it in the hotel room if the alternative is sitting in a hotel bar on my own and I have experienced problems a number of times because people have changed the settings and not just channels. So I would encourage anybody doing so, that before they do change the settings or re-tune the TV (I'm not talking about just changing TV channels) that they make sure that they know exactly how to put it back to the settings it was on before they leave. I do know that one hotel I stayed in was exceedingly grumpy about it when I phoned reception about the TV being 'off' - the staff member who came up to sort it out for me didn't go into details but I got the impression that this happened frequently when some guests wanted to view things that were other than what what was on offer on the hotel's TV intranet. ;)

I do consider myself to be pretty 'savvy' when it comes to technology and IT and, yes, I do know how to change between channels on a hotel TV but that's not much good if a previous guest has done something which means that they aren't being received by the TV set in the first place. Such as umplugging the cable delivering it to the set - it wasn't obvious that they'd done this in the above instance because they'd allowed the cable to drop down behind the heavy chest of drawers the TV was sat on!

SM
i am 52 :yikes and i took my nintendo ds on holiday was a great time passer on plane and in airport but at poolside i could not see the screen for the sunlight, i wasn't complaining though. :D xphx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.