Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I think I would definately buy there next time, everything cheap and a good range in the elephant shop in Candolim, mosquito repellant good over there as well, don't think I would chance the suncream there though.
Soap , toothpaste etc plenty of so no problem.
I agree with shirley.
Unless you use hard to find expensive brands at home, you will find all you need in Goa. There are also lots of really good Indian products to try at great prices.
We had our first trip to Goa in March this year, we took alot of toiletries with us that we could have easily bought out there. We used the suncream out there and had no problems, and my friend who came along had very fair skin and she had no problems.

Also we bought our beach towels there too, saved alot of space in our suit case!!
Hi, having been to Goa a few times now - the only toiletries we take with us are miniture stuff from Superdrug. to tied you over for a day or so, deodrant & sun cream (as you can only buy Nivea and Goan brands) the rest like people say you can buy from The Elephant shop or the supermarket in Calangute. You will need a plug for the bathroom sink (depending where you stay) and adaptors (electrical) you can also buy from Elephant shop for £1.
Goanne
You can buy all the cosmetics etc you need over in Candolim, and this year the new supermarket will be open. Also the chemists have everything at a fraction of our prices. Toothbrushes (our makes) approx 25p. The things you cannot buy are Steredent, gas for hair tongs and blonde hair colourants. If you have dark hair, colourants like Garnier etc. are about £1.20 - what a saving.
Revlon etc are really cheap, and nail varnish a fraction of what we pay for the same brands.
As someone pointed out earlier the cost out there is very inexspensive,we go for 3weeks and IMO the biggest saving of all is the weight and the extra room in your cases....KJF
Good point KJF !

Especially now that you can't pack them in your hand-baggage and carry on board, it's amazing just how heavy those shampoos and shower gels ,etc are.
I agree, you don't realise how precious luggage space is until you get to Goa and see all the wonderful things you can buy!!

Lassi, my luggage was soooo much heavier with all my shower gels and shampoos!! I won't be making that mistake next year!! First stop Elephant shop!!!
I have always taken toiletries, sun cream with us. It has never occured to me to buy them in Goa. When we first started going to Goa there was very little choice so its not something I have ever thought of doing, but of course things have changed since 1993.
I am one of those people who likes to have everything ready, ticked off on a list and packed ages before we go.
It does make sense though to wait until you get there, not only for the price but the weight which can be quite a lot.
Next time I am going to do the sensible thing and wait until we get there.
I know you can get lots of brands in Calangute, there are lots of shops, but does anyone know if the same applies to Cavelossim?. :hmmm
Yes we found all the same brands in Cavalossim as in the North,
can,t remember the name of the shop,but if you turn off the main
road and head towards Mike,s place there is a shop on the right that
sells everthing you will need,also there,s a Pharmacy on the road
past the Hatthi Mahal .There is also a small super market next to
the Pharmacy,have a great time we love the South.
Ann :lol: :lol:
Yep, buy your toiletries when you get there, much cheaper and no chance of spillages/leakages ruining clothes during travel. The weight of toiletries can add 2-3kg to baggage too. Any toiletries remaining on departure day we usually leave behind for the room boys, they used to always ask for shower gel. (thinking about it, they don't ask so much these days). Off topic, but we always took a big jar of Marmite as you couldn't get it easily, now you can so we buy that there too. Try shopping at Bardez Bazaar in Mapusa (next to market) brilliant place and has got anything and everything, shelves bending and creaking under the weight of it all - great place for general shopping :D
Thank you for the replies.
We have always left our toiletries for room boys or kids on the beach. We always buy beach towels when we get there and give them away also, but never thought of actually buying toiletries there. We will in future.
Thanks again. :D
Rob at Children Walking Tall is also very grateful for toiletries and unwanted beach towels. He said before that the beach towels are cut into squares and this serves as a face cloth for the children to wash with. Very handy and useful idea I think.
I gave loads of toiletries to CWT our past few holidays and they are greatly appreciated.
Just another idea ..... :D
We are happy to receive half used toiletries (shampoo, conditioner etc), also towels etc... It's all helpful....
:) buy everything there!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.