Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi lizziegp,

I know Bulgaria is sort of in the EU but are we allowed to take unlimited ciggies home?

Bulgaria isn't 'sort of' in the EU it is a full EU member state BUT, as with many of those which have joined since 2004, UK Customs only permit each eligible traveller to bring in 200 cigarettes from Bulgaria.

I don't know if Burgas Airport has improved since Fraport took over its management, it used to be pretty small & grotty when I last flew to/from it in 2004.

Baldur

<Edit> See this thread re: airport taxis.
Hi - they have improved the airport but there are only a couple of small shops. Don't expect to be able to buy antything more than a limited range of perfume, booze and ciggies (assuming you can buy cigerettes at the airport - might just be for non EU flights like at Gatwick. I'm not sure because I haven't tried. Sure someone else will be able to tell you).
Hi, thanks for the replies, will there be plenty of taxi's outside the airport, bearing in mind we do not arrive until 10.30pm. I have been trying to get hold of a number for a taxi company so I can book before I go, but so far no luck
Lizziegp
I have been there later than that and have seen taxis outside, although for all I know they might have been waiting for pre-booked fares, though I would imagine that taxi drivers will try to get fares all the time that flights are landing. Though of course you do have the hassle of negotiating the fare.

Some people have pre-booked on the thread that Baldur posted. Perhaps do a post on there are ask them to PM the internet company they have used? I don't think that you can PM them yet.

I googled taxi bourgas airport and lots of results came up.

Can you maybe arrange a transfer through whoever you booked your flight with?
Hi, thanks for the info, I think you are right about the pm not being available. I will try the google route and failing that I will just get one outside the airport.
Lizziegp
I'm sure there were people outside looking for fares - I just don't want to stake my life on it because I wasn't really looking. But i would be so surprised if there wasn't. 10.30pm isn't late in airport terms and I'm sure there would be someone at the airport who could show where to get a taxi from -
there are 11 more flights coming in between 10.30 and 4am that night according the the Bourgas Airport web site
Wow, you know your stuff, I'm impressed. thanx a lot.
I have just had a reply from one of the estate agents we are meeting, so I have got back to him and asked for the name of a taxi firm. Fingers crossed.
Lets hope that next time I come on here I may be the proud owner of a Bulgarian property or I will be looking elsewhere next year!
:(
Ahh - if I was going to meet an estate agent out there I would have asked him to send a car to pick me up from the airport ;)

Good luck on your property search. Don't know if you have been to SB before, and know this anyway, but don't believe the agent if he tells you it is a year round resort. It isn't. Everything shuts down between October and April. Just saying this because I had a conversation with someone else once who was buying a property there and they didn't believe me because of what they had been told by their agent. They thought it was year round party party :cheers
I would have asked them to pick us up but we dont meet up with them until Tuesday am.
I too was told the season was longer than it actually is, I only found that out from someone on this site who was honest enough to tell me. I was hoping for a bit of a return, but I will reserve judgement until I have seen what is on offer. This will be a first for us, buying abroad. Quite exciting but also a bit daunting. Both agents we have arranged to meet have offices in London and Surrey, I wouldn't entertain anything less.
SB does look good from pictures we have seen but I watched a holiday programme on TV the other week and I was slightly put off by the amount of people on the beach. Every bit of sand was covered by rows and rows of occupied sun beds, a bit like Benedorm!! hope I'm wrong :que
Lizzie Click Here for our resort reports for Sunny Beach as it might give you an idea of what holidaymakers think of the resort. Also there maybe some there that are from out of season visitors.
well, I've been to Benidorm and I hated it. But I love SB. But I can see maybe why people draw comparisons. SB is purely a holiday resort. It isn't picturesque and it IS just a load of hotels and bars. Though the hotels aren't of the tower block type in Benidorm. There are other quieter resorts nearby. Maybe there are quieter areas of the beach in SB. I don't go on the beach so wouldn't have searched out a better spot. But yes - it is a busy, noisy holiday resort.

I know nothing about holiday property, though I do wonder if at some point there are going to be so many available rooms in the resort that supply is going to outstrip demand because they are building and building more and more.
I too went to Benidorm many years ago, I drove there with a friend, we did actually enjoy the holiday especially driving from the north to the south of France and then down the coast road to Benidorm, the Pyrenees were spectacular if not a bit scary if you get behind a lorry. I only meant the amount of tourists not the actual place were similar. Being busy does not bother me at all, in fact I quite like lots going on but I do see what you mean about properties exceeding demand in the future. We will be sure to get enough legal advise before we make any decisions. The properties look so inviting on the internet, especially the furnished ones and the price to have the unfurnished ones furnished is so reasonable. It is something we will have to think long and hard about when we get back home.
What attracted me to Benidorm was that I heard that there was lots of entertainment in the bars. I like to be entertained rather than just sit around boozing and looking at each other. But that entertainment seemed to always include a racist comic and a Jane McDonlad like singer and it just wasn't my thing. In Sunny Beach there is lots of entertainment but it is more like small bands who you would get up to dance to or sing along with (though some of them are dire! But that is fun in itself). I think because it is so diversely international, they want to cater for all tastes so although it is a purpose built resort, I don't feel that I am just in a hotter version of England. And I think for that very same reason, a lot of people don't like it because you can't get all your home comforts.
OK I have now checked out a few taxi co's on the net and the prices vary from £39.00 return with HHB Travel to 64 Euros (dont know the exchange rate) each way with Moto Roads. I am finishing work now so will have to continue on the net at home. Maybe I will have something good to report on my return to work on 24th June, thanks for all your assistance. Have a good weekend
lizziegp. stick with HHB Travel. Their price works at about 49 Euro return a lot cheaper than 64 each way. Tonyt
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.