Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Was just about to say that Val..it's a shame you and Jackie don't live in Scotland..not that it'll make you feel any better. :shock:
Val
Sorry to hear that Val, my sales don't get as far as having a signing date and that makes me feel :rage so I can imagine how you are feeling getting that far.
Lady opposite me had the same thing. They were due to sign contracts in the afternoon and her buyer pulled out that morning. Worst thing about it is they don't have to explain or give reason why. Have to admit though regarding the solicitor, if our sale (that's a laugh) does not reach completion then we don't get charged

Think there's only one thing for it. We should meet up and drown our sorrows over a few large voddy and cokes.

This house selling game is pants and could quite easily turn people to drink.

Rgds Jackie
The people buying ours are devastated. They rang up and it turns out that the buyers buying theirs have said they can only get a mortgage for £10 grand less than what they originally agreed... so i reckon he is trying to force the price down. I would have thought if you couldn't get a mortgage it would have been picked up before the final 3 days before completion :roll: The people buying mine are so desperate for the house they are at the bank today trying to arrange a bridging loan or something like that.... :?

Who would have thought this house lark would have been so complicated.

Jackie, when you get your little corner of Tenerife, next time we are there i will visit to drown my sorrows with Voddy and coke!!!

Anyway, i have decided that things were probably far less complicated in the stone age when people lived in caves... if you wanted to move caves i reckon they probably just clubbed the owners of the other cave into submission and parked the pet dinosaur up outside...
Val

What you said about mortgages is the crux of the problem.

Three out of the four potential buyers we have had get a certain distance into the legalities and then inform the agent that they can't get the full mortgage/monies they need. This is one of the arguements I have had with the agents selling my house (note I said one of the arguements). I told them from the beginning not to bother sending anyone to view my house unless they are prepared to pay the asking price or as near to it as possible and also not to send anyone who hasn't got the facilities to pay for it. At the start I was getting people viewing who were offering between 20 and 25K under the asking price :yikes , all because the agents where sending people round who could not afford to buy the properties that they were viewing. When we engaged these agents they all stated that they always check that the people they send have their mortgage or the offer of a mortgage in place. That is why I said in an earlier post that the agents are in for a suprise when they do eventually sell it because there is no way I am paying them the full amount they requested when they came to value the house because they simply have not done what was agreed.

Hope your buyer gets his loan and things go through ok.
Just a thought, perhaps you could do what they do in Tenerife, if he can't get his loan but desperately wants the property, could you not ask him to pay a percentage of the price as a holding fee for a certain period of time,
say 6 months max. while he re-sells his house.

If people had to pay 10% of the property value as soon as they said they wanted the house, with the view that if they have not completed in a certain time they lose their deposit it might weedle out the time wasters and cause us sellers less stress.

:gluck
Rgds Jackie
what annoys me is that i agreed to drop £10k in the 1st place as the guy buying mine had agreed to drop 10K..and i agreed to wait for them to sort their house out and turned down a cash offer from a property developer/tycoon that wanted to house to fill it full of polish immigrants...now i am regretting being so honourable... i should have just took the money and run...

as for the estate agents.. they will be lucky if they get anything out of me. They never even had the courtesy to return my call yesterday.. and they are the ones that say they make sure that people have the finances to buy a house before they agree anything. what a load of :swear

i do think it is a good idea about the deposit though Jackie. If people had to do that, it would soon sort out all the time wasters that just want to come and have a nosey around for something to do or those people who are totally unrealistic with their expectations and think they can get something way beyond their price range.

when i bought my house many moons ago, i was a 1st time buyer but sorted out a maximum amount of mortgage 1st so i knew how much i had got to play with... then i went and found a house within that range.. why don't people do that any more?

Mr and Mrs I will pull out 3 days before completion have left all of us with a fat bill and nowt to show for it. :bhead

there ought to be a change in the law....
Hindsight is a wonderful thing Val. If we had taken the first offer that we received which was from the first people to view our house I would have been living in Tenerife by now. The only reason I didn't accept the offer was because the agents kept telling me I could get at least 10 - 15K more and to hold out. We took notice of them as they are supposed to be the experts, unlike us who don't buy and sell houses everyday.

Let's hope that things are resolved soon otherwise it is going to cost hubby more money - I've just found flights to Tenerife for 4 of us from 1/12/06 - 28/12/06 ( 28 days of :sun) for £98.00 each including all taxes etc, checked with our timeshare resort and they have appartments available which they keep for owners like us who book at the last minute rather than let people who don't own there exchange. I WILL be in Tenerife for christmas one way or another :lol:
Regards Jackie
we would all be rich if we had hindsight...well Jackie, good luck with your house and yes.. make sure you are in Tenerife for Christmas. I know we will be home this year as we will have just come back from Egypt ( never been before, i am quite excited) and we will probably be in Tenerife round about Feb/March time.. so i will come looking for you for my voddy and coke as i am sure you will be sorted by then and have your own little corner of Tenerife to vall your own.
Poor you Jax!! We are planning our Silver Wedding holiday to Tenerife/Gran Canaria January 2111 so you or Val better be settled by then!!!

Best of luck x
Well it has happened.

Got the dreaded phone call yesterday to say that we have lost the house in Tenerife and the money (well maybe not all). When we paid the deposit about 40% was given to the owner and the rest was kept as security by our agent. Our solicitor has said we may get that portion of it back as she is going to fight for it stating that we did not pull out of the contract.

We have decided to take the house of the market for a while as we have had too much stress over the last few months with buyers pulling out, trying to run a business and organise the family at the same time. Also we want to wait and see what the outcome of the deposit is. We are going to have a holiday about Oct/Nov time but probably not to Tenerife as things are too raw at the moment. I would only spend the whole time sitting outside MY house.

We will put our house back on the market after Christmas and will hang on until we get what we want for it as opposed to accepting an offer because we needed to sell in order to keep the place in Tenerife. I don't know how long it will take but we are going to go to Tenerife with the cash next time. Although we are gutted about what has happened it is really weird because it feels like a weight has been lifted now that there are no deadlines to meet.

Thank you all for your support during my dilema, and Joolz I will definately be settled in Tenerife by 2011, hopefully next year sometime now.

Kind Regards Jackie
So Sorry to here that bad news Jackie you must be absolutly devistated
I do hope that it does not put you of eventualy moving to Tenerife :cry:
That's terrible news,Jackie.Hope you get what you want really early on next year.
Hi Jackie,
I'm so sorry to hear your news,l must admit tears came in my eyes as l was reading it,l can't imagine what you and your family must be feeling.
I hope everything works out for you.
Angie
Jackie, really sorry you lost the house you wanted, but we have moved house ourselves many times over the years and one thing I have learned is that something else always comes along, you will sell it when you least expect to, the ones who view it and jump up and down saying they want to buy are usually the ones who back out after the initial high.
I bet it will be the quiet ones who look around, weigh everything up and dont say much at all who will eventually buy your house.
Secondly you are right saying the pressure is now off - there is nothing worse than trying to sell your house within a deadline that will cost you money if it is not met. You are now in a far better position (although you will obviously want to get as much of your deposit back as you can)
When you do sell, as you say, you will have the cash to take to Tenerife to buy. That is your negotiating tool, you are then in the drivers seat instead of getting stressed by events over which you have no control.
You can always go over and rent for a short period of time whilst you weigh up what is for sale.
You will get there and next time it will be under your terms. Lots of luck x
Oh no Jackie! I can't believe it! Sorry to hear it.

You will get there, and might even find something nicer.

Good luckxx
Thanks to you all for your words of support

I suppose these things are sent to try us to see if we crumble or bounce back. I will definately be doing the latter. I have bounced back from far worse things than losing a house and some money in my time and I am now looking at this as a small hurdle that I need to get over.

It's nice to know that people you have never met can give reassurance with a few kind words (unlike the words I have been using lately :lol: ).As well as kind words I have had a pm from an HT member offering help if I need to find somewhere to stay in Tenerife whilst we are looking for another property. How nice is that?

Like I said, we are going to chill out for a while, have a holiday in a few weeks time and maybe spend christmas and new year in Tenerife, then we will start again at our pace.

Speak soon

Kind Regards
Jackie
Good to see your fighting spirit,Jackie. :D I agree, It's the only way to be. :tup Hope you have a much more relaxed time in the near future.
Just catching up... Jackie, so sorry to hear you lost out on the house in Tenerife...hopefully you will be sorted soon. It is strange how things work out really and they say everything happens for a reason and probably when you least expect it you will sell your house. Little consolation now to you i know.

As for us, well the house is back on the market, we have got a fat bill to pay and we are well fed up and well stressed. I need a holiday.....
Ok, I now have a ridiculous obsession to this wonderful delicacy........

sure I'm not pregnant though............but yesterday I went on a mission to buy them so I can cook them

Only to be told they are out of season.............SO IF THERE IS any tenerifians on here who have seen any recently......please tell me

Must be able to buy somewhere cos the tapas bars have them!!!!!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.