Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
Am I ever going to get to Tenerife?

As some of you already know I am in the process of selling my house in the UK to make a permanent move to Tenerife.

I say in the process of selling my house; change that to I was in the process of selling my house. :bawl

Why do people make an offer, have it accepted and then a couple of weeks down the line inform you that they can't get the funding. A bit of advice to anyone who makes an appointment to view my house, DON'T make and offer unless you know you can afford it. This is the second time this has happened to me in the last few months. One minute your on a high because you think things are moving and the next your as low as you can go because of people who think it is OK to mess with peoples lives. Especially when I stand to lose the 10% deposit I have paid on the property in Tenerife as well as the property.

I could strangle someone right now :rage

Sellers beware, especially if your whole future depends on it. There are some :swear people out there.

Sorry for the rant but I had to get it off my chest.

Regards Jackie
Oh dear Jackie

Sorry to hear your woes. We are going to be in your position in about 18 months time but the apartment in Tenerife is already bought and paid for so it should be less stressfull .....I hope.

Best wishes on the sale... ask to see an offer from their bank/building society saying they have already been accepted and their mortgage finance is agreed in principle.

These are available now and could save you loads of grief as you then dont accept on offer unless they can prove the have the finances available.

Peter
Peter

Thanks for your support. Regarding checking wether they have finances in place, believe it or not this is what I am paying the Estate Agents thousands of pounds to do. It's a no win situation; well it will be for me eventually because the Estate Agents will not be getting their full fee on eventual completion as they have not kept to the contract we agreed.
They state that due to the amount of :swear people trying to buy houses in the UK, prior to an offer being put forward they check that they have funding in place to save people going through what we have twice.

Think I'll take your advice and deal with it myself in future, you never know the Estate Agent might pay me for doing their job :lol:

Regards Jackie
OH! Jackie
What can I say :cry: Really sorry to hear that news. What a pain in the ####! Especially when there's all that money involved! Can only say that I'll carry on keeping everything crossed and hopefully another buyer will come along tout de suite!! Only this time they DO NOT pull out and leave you in the lurch. :evil: Good Luck.

P.S.nice to see you can still laugh..keep your chin up,it'll all turn out good in the end.
OMG Jackie l am so sorry you are in this situation AGAIN.
I have been following the saga of your move to Tenerife through your posts,hope things soon sort themselves out and you can be on your way.Hopefully third time lucky!!.
Angie
Oh Jackie, this is so unfair for you. I know you have been trying to move for a while now. Things WILL change and you WILL end up fulfilling your dream. It might just take a bit longer.
Think that as our winter approaches, that you might sell your place in the next few months, and be off in the HOT sun, whilst we are all here is the freezing cold.
Jackie you have my sympathies.

We put our house up for sale last year and a couple let us down badly by just withdrawing their offer (out of the blue) when we had agreed on virtually everything.
I had even thrown in all the contents of the house because it actually saved me from trying to flog them and apart from a few personal ornaments and pictures, we were going to walk out with just our clothes, CDs, DVDs, small electrical items and some bedding.
We had even arranged for a guy to drive to Spain with all our possessions.

We had found an apartment on the Costa Blanca and we were going to rent it long term until we sorted ourselves out with the area and then look at buying a place.

This couple made me sooo angry cos I had been giving stuff away and they kept coming back, measuring and re-measuring with their kids running about the place. :roll:
They had big ideas at what they were gonna do to this house I have lived in for 26 years.

They were so enthusiastic and really the truth is, that they couldnt afford it.
All mouth and no trousers as my mam used to say. :roll:
We lost the apartment in Spain and started all over again, but time wasters and people who come looking around other peoples houses as a Sunday hobby just caused more and more arguments between me and the hubby.....in the end he said :swear it and took the house off the market.

I live in hope, but deep down I know it aint gonna happen for me, my hubby just wont entertain the idea anymore....and we should have done it years ago....now he is getting old and set in his ways.

Oh and the estate agent we used was someone not to get too excited about.

Good Luck.
SanJi x
Sanji

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you had when trying to sell your place. Some people are an absolute nightmare. What I love is when two people are coming to look at the house but have to bring the brother and his wife and their kids and the mum and mum in law and distant cousins with them; it's no good having 15 people in my bathroom viewing, it makes it look small :lol: . But as far as i'm concerned these people ( I would prefer to call them something else but i'm sure admin will tell me off) will not discourage me or my hubby. We are determined to make this move and come hell or high water we will eventually. We are staying positive about the whole thing at the moment because we are still in with a shout of keeping the property in Tenerife and not losing our deposit, but hey if that happens then so be it; we were obviously not meant to have that house ( or our deposit :bawl ). We will continue the way we are at the moment and if a sale does not emerge in time to save the property we will wait until such time as we have sold ours and go out there as cash buyers to look for something else, hopefully it will give us a bit more pulling power.

I WILL BE MOVING TO TENERIFE ( just don't know when now)

Regards Jackie
Jackie and Sanjii, you both have my utmost sympathy. We put the other house on the market with the intention of flogging it and using the money towards buying a property in Salobrena. This one woman came round umpteen times, often at short notice and she explained money was no trouble as her and hubby had split, they had sold their house, she wanted to get back to the village she grew up in etc and my house was ideal blah blah blah.. she came with the mother, the mother in law, the new boyfriend, the child and even fetched the animals on one visit.. said daughter was duly enrolled at the village school and then it went quiet.. so i got the estate agent to actaully do something to deserve this fat fee they are charging and ring her up and chase abit....and guess what, she pulled out. The animals couldn't settle. :shock: and then i found out that she didn't have the money, mother in law was stumping up cash as son was away in RAF and she was a university student....so no house sale and me out of pocket...

luckily, fairly recently, i have hopefully sold the house myself ( estate agents were useless) and the money should be through in a couple of weeks hopefully. :) Unfortunately, Salobrena has gone up in smoke and we will have to wait a couple of years now i guess.. but my dream will come true one day and i will have my place in the sun.. and instead of watching the kids messing about, me and rob will probably be watching the grand kids playing...

Jackie, i really hope you get it sorted out soon. There are people that time waste for something to do on a wet sunday afternoon and it is so maddening that you have had the misfortune to come across this not once but twice.. :evil: .. keep dreaming of your little corner of tenerife.. you know it will happen soon...
Jackie
So sorry to hear about your further bad news I am sure it will turn out good in the end I will keep my fingers crossed for you
Thank you all for your kind words

Dare I say it - we accepted an offer from a couple last night who phoned the agent yesterday to ask if our house was still on the market. They originally came to look at it about six weeks ago. The agent has assured me that they have a mortgage in place and they have also confirmed that their property is being bought by first time buyers who have their mortgage throught the police force. We told them that a condition of the sale was that we complete in six weeks and they said that would be fine as the couple that are buying theirs asked if they could complete as near to 28 days as possible.

I have one little request for you all out there - Please Please keep everything you have that is crossable crossed for me for the next few weeks and there is a possibility that I will be living in Tenerife in the very near future. :thanks

Regards Jackie
Jackie
Good news...I feel it in my bones..reckon you'll be lucky this time :gluck
OK Jackie will keep as you say everything crossed that is crossable on the condition that we all get an invite to the house warming party in Tenerife whenever it happens :)
Best of luck.
You are all more than welcome. It would be nice to put some faces to names.

Rgds Jackie
Hola Jackie,

Just back from our first real holiday in the new apartment. You were so supportive when we were going through our trials and tribs. of the buying process. Now hopefully your turn has come and you'll soon be in the thick of procedures. It all seems to come out all right eventually and often for the best.

I've lived in a country where a handshake binds the sale and the buyers felt so confident that they could store some furniture and other items in the cellar the very next day whilst they went on holiday. By the time they returned the previous owner had kept his promise and moved. No complications: the handshake is the law. Why on earth don't we have restrictions and time-limited conditions in the UK? Then people would not suffer what is a truly traumatic disappointment and inconvenience. I wonder how sales are conducted in Tenerife without the internet?

Break a leg this time, Jackie; wish upon the Tenerife stars.......
Margaretta

PS had an afternoon gathering of some HT people two weeks ago by our pool; we didn't stop chatting and then we had a lovely meal together a few days later in Adeje. It was like meeting old friends! Easy to arrange too. Soon.......keep yer pecker up! (cockney slang?)
Great news Jackie,hope everything goes ahead this time.
Sat here keeping everything crossed,bit uncomfortable to type though but if it brings you luck it's worth it.LOL
Hope things get sorted quickly for you.
Good Luck.
Angie
jackie can i bring my dog ????
:wink:
Thanks all for keeping everything crossed

Hairyhamster - I don't know that I should invite you - weren't we all supposed to be having a party at yours but you wouldn't give us your address :?: :lol:

Rgds Jackie
OK - Who wasn't keeping everything crossed :?:

Hairyhamster - did your dog have it's legs crossed :?:

Does anyone else have as much bad luck as us.

The 'nice' people who came back to look at our house on Friday and stood face to face with us in our living room when they made the offer, and then had the nerve to shake our hands has been in touch with the agent.
I got a phone call Saturday afternoon from the agent which I thought was to get our solicitors details; she stated that the 'nice' people now wanted to offer us 5K less than they did the previous evening. Why you may ask; are you ready for this because I certainly wasn't. Since they first viewed the property about six weeks ago we have started to decorate one of the bedrooms, ( I know people are going to say why decorate anywhere if you are moving, but at the end of the day I have still got to live here in the meantime). Anyway, the walls are stripped of old wallpaper but all the paintwork has been done it is just a case of hanging the new wallpaper that we have already bought, the 'nice' man said he would do the work if we accepted the 5K less than he had already offered. Yeah right!

Anyone know any bedroom in their house that cost 5K to decorate with paper already bought by someone else. Excluding you Your Majesty, I know Buck Palace has large rooms :lol:

I am afraid I lost it a bit with the agent and told her to tell him to shove his second offer where the :sun doesn't shine and not to insult me anymore as we had already accepted his first offer which was 5K under the asking price as it was.

Excuse me now while I do a Bonnie Langford - I am going to scream and scream and scream, then i'm going to :bhead then :rage then scream a bit more. After that little session I may not feel so much like punching someones head in :rage

Thanks for listening to my rant - bck to square one AGAIN.

Regards Jackie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.