Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Not 5 star, but I think the Hilton Sharks Bay in Sharm offers excellent value for money on AI at 4 star, and right on the beach with an excellent reef for snorkelling. I loved it in November 08 and am looking to go back this year.
Looks like I'll be staying there as well then! Would you recommend booking through Hilton direct or via a different website? :tup
I would certainly look around and although a lot of hotels are by the sea, they can be miles away and in the middle of nowhere. You would need cabs to get you around if you want to venture out.
So, what do you require from your holiday and hotel?
For example ......
a) Do you want to be in the centre of Resort?
b) Do you want to travel via cab into the centre should you wish to venture out.
c) Would you like nightlife?
4) Do you want a kids club?
5) Do you require diving?
6) What kind of budget do you have approx.
7) What airport do you wish to travel from?

Here are some questions in which other members on HT could help you with, when we receive your choices.

Whatever members mention, please do your own research on that hotel, just to make sure it is what you want from your holiday ;)

Michelle x
sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Just a further item to add to Michelle's list of considerations is that of mobility and accessibility. Many hotels outside of the Naama Bay area are on steep inclines and have steep steps to the beach (Hilton Sharks Bay included). Hard work for the less agile or those with asthma etc especially during the heat of the summer! Also many hotels do not have lifts (including Conrad and HIlton Sharks Bay).
I would agree with Michelle's very valid points. What suits one might not suit another, so it is important to do a good amount of research to see if a particular hotel offers what you need. I looked at many before I booked HSB - reading reviews on lots of sites, checking prices with lots of companies and looking at the facilities/terms of AI etc and it did suit us down to the ground, but it is not in resort, and you would need taxis if you want to get out and about. Booking direct with Hilton would not have offered us the best deal at the time when I booked, but they do have deals on their website, and as with any booking, it is worth looking around to compare prices - both package and DIY.

I had a slight concern before I went about the incline to the beach/steps etc but this did not prove a problem for us. However, we were there in November and not in intense heat so it was perfectly manageable. May not be quite so for the less mobile. The beach is tiny there - the sea is great for snorkelling/diving but here's not a lot of sand space!

Decide exactly what you want from the hotel/resort and then make your selection on the basis of what is most important to you. There are lots of people on the forum with loads of experience of Egypt/hotels who can give you excellent advice (thanks Lyn!).

It may be that your requirements mean that HSB is not right for you, but if you post again with more details of what you are looking for/expecting from your holiday, I am sure you will get plenty advice on a suitable choice. Don't rush in and book somewhere until you are sure it's what you want.
Thanks for the replies... Derwentrocker could you recommend anywhere going by my answers?

a) Do you want to be in the centre of Resort? Not too fussed
b) Do you want to travel via cab into the centre should you wish to venture out. Would prefer to stay near the resort
c) Would you like nightlife? Not too fussed about night life
4) Do you want a kids club? No
5) Do you require diving? No
6) What kind of budget do you have approx. Hmmmm roughly £2000, but would prefer not to spend as much as that
7) What airport do you wish to travel from? The flight is from Gatwick to Sharm (SSH)

:tup
I can only recommend hotels in the Naama Bay area which is in the centre /or a short walk away. Here you will have as much nightlife or as little as you want. great sea for snorkling etc. The centre is for nightclubs and nice restaurants, and little cafe bars where you can sit until your hearts content watching the world go by. Shops and malls are present in the centre.
Naama bay hotel is in the centre itself, but can get noisey, the karamara hotel is in the centre(Dont think thats the right spelling), Briarskeg the moderator has been in there.

Where i go is the Sonesta beach Resort, its the kind of hotel that if you do not want to venture out, there is plenty to do. Along the promenade going towards the centre are some nice hotels we pass on route.

1) Sofital which is high up shares the SBR beach (havent actually been into)
2) Marriott (mountain wing (b+b)
3) Marriott (beach wing) - B &B
4) Jolieville, which is on the corner of the resort and is very nice.

They are hotels that look like any hotel in the med. I chose ours because it looks colonial and had an egytpian feel to it.

The sea in all the above hotels can go off the jetty or walk into as its very shallow, also a large beach bar and an array of water sports and trips. Plus a beach restaurant that isn't on the A1 package.

The Sonesta club is more 3* and it is on the main peace road, you will have to go thru the back of my hotel to get to the beach. As for many of the hotels on the peace road.

There are also some nice hotels out of resort, some have huge beaches that take 5 mins to get into sea, and most have entertainment on the complex due to being out of the main area of Naama bay, so you will need a transport bus or cab to get you into the centre. Some hotels are 6-8 miles away, so if you choose a hotel out of Naama bay, check how far out it is for your own comfort.

We choose where we are because it didnt take long to walk anywhere in Naama Bay.

HTH

Michelle
Sonesta beach resort queen :sun2
Jack,Before you book, read all the reviews on here and Trip Advisor.Also look at the photos.
My cousin rang me yesterday asking if I could recommend a reasonable hotel for February.
I have only been to the Conrad and the Holiday village and both are out of her budget as she wants something for under £400 for 1 week.Both of these hotels are great by the way but the HV is in Nabq bay,a great new area and the Conrad is in Ras Nostrani a quiet area but on a fabulous beach with great snorkelling.
She mentioned the St George 3 corners, but when I read the latest reviews they were not good.
If you are going in April as long as its not Easter it may pay you to wait until about 3 weeks before you plan to go.
There seems to be plenty of availability but the prices seem to have gone up quite a bit.
It seems that we all think that because of the recession that prices for holidays are going to go down ! But this isnt true, hubby was reading some material off the internet stating that travel operators are going to buy less hotels this year and charging nearly double :yikes Basically they are not going to loose out by having less rooms. Same with washing machines, they are going up and the cheapest one will be around £500 :offtop sorry about OT just putting a view forward.

Last year i paid a price for my holiday 6 weeks before we went as a holiday of the moment. I got £300+ off, i dont want to buy yet and are waiting nearer the time for a deal, but dont think there will be any :think
I agree Michelle,I have booked my May holiday to Turkey already.I normally wait until 1 month before I go on any holiday and start looking.
The prices for 1 week holidays to the Holiday Village this winter are the same as what we paid for 2 weeks last year.
The deals may still be there but with hotels that are not very good.
Our holiday has also gone up by over £200 per couple, since we booked last year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.