Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi all, I am flying out to Egypt (Sharm) next week. I did book excursions but alas, they have all been cancelled. Howeve, given the current situation, I am not to bothered about cancelling them as I can laze around the pool and beach and take in the sights of Sharm which will still be a lovely break for my family and I. :)
A sky cameraman has been shot and killed.
:think I have got to say that even me 'Mr it will be fine' is starting to get a bit concerned about our holiday in January, so much so I have shortlisted a few others already :que
Tryifucan
I hope you have a good holiday. Hopefully Sharm will be ok - you must be worried
Graham- try Goa :D
Thanks Fiona we will try. Yes it is very worrying indeed as my friend is there now and has witnessed fighting and they had to stay in their hotel 1 night as told by their rep because of the possible outbreak of trouble. What a shame that this lovely place is being subject to such acts of violence. It is hard enough for most Egyptians to maintain a living without something like this effecting tourism and its financial benefits to this country. Have you been to Sharm Fi? I was asking because I suffer terrible with prickly heat and in other countries I have visited i needed to have the Cortisone injection to clear it. I was just wondering if you know if this is possible in Sharm or if anyone else knows? Any replies would be welcomed as I want a pain free hol. :)
Graham- try Goa

:rofl ..When they sort out that visa palaver I might consider it.
We are are the same Graham, although not booked yet, Sam & I are supposed to be going in January for his 50th birthday.
Apparently on Sky news, Egypt has declared a full state of emergeny which will last for a month. This is developing into a worrying situation considering we fly out to Sharm on Tuesday. :really
We are are the same Graham, although not booked yet, Sam & I are supposed to be going in January for his 50th birthday
Like you Michelle we have been going for several years to Sharm and find it a relaxing and very safe resort however there is just something not feeling right about what is going on now, I gon't know what but it just doesn't feel right, call it a gut feeling maybe.

Just been reported 'Egypt declares national emergency' - Egypt's presidency has declared a state of emergency, The state of emergency will begin at 16:00 local time (1400 GMT), and last for a at least month.
Yeh I also have a bad feeling abouit this and I fly to Sharm on Tues coming....worrying tosay the least :(
Kiltman HT Mod wrote:
We are are the same Graham, although not booked yet, Sam & I are supposed to be going in January for his 50th birthday
Like you Michelle we have been going for several years to Sharm and find it a relaxing and very safe resort however there is just something not feeling right about what is going on now, I gon't know what but it just doesn't feel right, call it a gut feeling maybe.

Just been reported 'Egypt declares national emergency' - Egypt's presidency has declared a state of emergency, The state of emergency will begin at 16:00 local time (1400 GMT), and last for a at least month.

Worrying indeed for everyone there or travelling there soon :(
With a State of Emergency I think the FO must change its advisory.
Try- I haven't been but did have friends who have just returned. They didn't see fighting but definitely were told to stay in their hotel one night. They had been a bit worried before they left so I posted here to see what other folk's thoughts were.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt
Trifucan- keep an eye on the FO advice and get on the phone to sort out another destination as soon as you see it change- if it does of course.
If I were you I would also check out the possiblities now so you can hit the ground running if need be.
To be honest here I don't think it is looking good for you Tryifucan, as Fiona mentions surely the FCO MUST change it's advice regarding travel to ALL parts of Egypt now!

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/egypt

If the FCO advises against all travel you are entitled to a full refund or you can choose to go on another holiday however you are responsible for the extra costs if the holiday is more expensive.

If you decide you don't want to go before any updated advice from the FCO you would have to pay the admin fee for changing your holiday in addition to any other price increase on your new chosen holiday.
Fiona, my friends phoned me less that 5 mins ago and said that there were a lot of worried people in Sharm at the moment. The rep was going to hold a meeting apparently so if i hear what was said in the meeting i will post the news on here. I wish I had the option to cancell my hol and transfer to somewhere else. I love Egypt so much but safety must be priority. Why arnt the hol companies offering us a choice to cancel or transfer hol, they are fast enough to take our money from us lol :cry
Thanks Kiltman, I hope I get the option to change. What a real shame for Egypt as a country and for the innocent Egyptian people and their families.
Fiona. Many thanks, I am hoping that they will put this into force. However, until they do, I will look for options and other places to go. What a real shame for innocent Egyptian families who rely on tourism for their living. :(
My daughter and family flew out on Monday, I haven't heard from them as yet but they certainly were not worrying [we on the other hand are a bit nervous for them]
it will be interesting to hear what the rep will be saying.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.