Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Mallorca (Majorca)

We have visited Mallorca for 3 land based holidays and 1 cruise visit in 2013. This is based on our last 2 week visit in 2008, so much will have changed. All the places listed below we have visited during our holidays here.

In 2008 we stayed in Cala D’Or, this has a couple of resort trains that are worth doing to see the different areas, there are some fantastic beaches/coves and I know someone will disagree here, but centred on the resort I feel the best one is Cala Gran. There are a wide range of good restaurants and bars, some nice shops and glass bottom boats that will take you to the more far flung coves and villages.

However, if you want to see the real Mallorca you either need to book trips or hire a car. For those contemplating hiring a car, the roads are excellent. There have been a lot of new ones built and also many of the roads have been resurfaced.

The scenic coast road between Palma, Port D’Andratrix, Valdemossa, Deia then onto Soller is fantastic for its views. Along the way there are many stopping places to admire the many views over the coast and then onto Valdemossa and Deia. Valdemossa is one of the favourite destinations of tourists who are more into tranquillity and quiet relaxation and because of this it is very touristy, from their past you have Chopin, the French romantic novelist George Sands and of course up to date Michael Douglas & Catherine Zeta-Jones have a home here as well. Deia is the burial place of Robert Graves, a famous writer and poet.

When in Soller have a relaxing lunch in the main square. If you have the time the trolley train to Port Soller is a must.

Between Palma and Soller is Jardin de Alfabia. These gardens are well worth the visit and are situated just before the southern end of the Palma – Soller tunnel.

The Soller train ride, either Palma to Soller or the reverse is great. Wooden coaches with fantastic views. Not to be confused with the Soller – Porta Soller train.

Another place to visit depending on time is Port De Pollenca, again stopping on the way to admire the views. A quick stop at the viewing point north of Port De Pollenca then onto the Lighthouse at Cap De Formentor, with views across the water towards Menorca, worth the drive, but it is not for the faint hearted. Be warned, a small bottle of water in the café costs €2.50.

Felantix is a small town towards the north but more famous for a visit to Sant Salvador Monastery, a very twisty drive up but the views across Mallorca and towards the coast, especially Porto Colom is breath taking.

Everyone goes on about the Coves of Drac. Very large lots to see, a guided tour and a chance at the end to take a boat across the lake towards the exit, but no photography allowed. So, having visited the caves of Drac on our last visit and was disappointed, this time we tried the Caves of Arta. We were hoping for something different and these caves do not disappoint. Beautiful caves, excellent lighting, very good English speaking guide, along with German, Dutch and Spanish, and you could take photographs. The exit out was towards the sea. These caves may be out of the way but are worth the visit.

On our very first holiday here we booked a trip with Mallorca Balloons. Then we paid ESP 100pp, that was 2006 and it was worth every penny, or even peseta. Picked up from your hotel, taken to their home and then you have a safety brief and if you want can help get the balloons ready for the flight. We had about a 2 hour flight, could have been longer, magical. After the flight we were presented with our certificates and we still have the DVD.

Festival Park, we had heard so much about this place so planned it in on one of our outings with the car. When we visited it was rubbish, not sure what it is like now or even if it is open. This is Majorca’s equivalent to our Outlet Villages, Without too much detail and in my opinion what a waste of time, in some shops prices more expensive than in Palma and the whole area was very quiet.

Palma
Well a visit to Mallorca cannot pass without a visit to Palma.

If you do not have a map then there are a number of tourist centres within 10 mins walk of Cathedral.

It is worth knowing that the streets behind the Cathedral are a rabbit warren and it is easy to lose track of time and direction. Take care and have your street map handy, if in doubt there is always a sign somewhere pointing to the Cathedral.

Start with a visit to the Royal Palace, entrance just opposite the Cathedral, next must be the Cathedral, then onto the Museum that displays a superb collection of prehistoric artefacts. You can purchase a joint ticket for the Palace and the museum.

After the culture, a walk around town and a little shopping. If you are looking for exclusive shops try Passeig Des Bonn and Avinguida Jaume III. For those who want to know, Palma has two Corte de Ingles. In the streets there are plenty of shops, restaurants and tapas bars.

There is HOHO bus stop just to the west of the Cathedral, on Avinguda D'Antoni Maura and it completes a fairly extensive tour of Palma, including Bellver Castle, worth a visit with an excellent photo opportunity of Palma and the bay. In 2013 the hop-off bus cost €15 for adults for 24 hours. It's half-price for over-65s, but you need to show your passport.
The caves of Drach are worth a visit but don't take a bus tour. They arrive later and the place is crowded. Hire a car (or if close take a bus) and get there early. You get to see them virtually alone. In fact when we did this we went in with the musicians and we had the boat ride across the underground lake with just mine and one other family whilst the orchestra played just for us. 2 hours later and there could be 500 people down there!

Soller is pretty and you can take a tram ride.
Peter
I have no idea what happened but I did think I had posted a reply yesterday. Fantastic information :D
Hi de Hi- I agree with your advice. We were there years and years ago with a coach tour and the Caves were packed for the orchestra.
At Cala Bona/Cala Millor look at the sea and turn right, keep walking to the end of the sea front and across the beach to the nature reserve, if feeling a little bit fit walk to the castle and have a drink at the rustic cafe and then walk on to Sa Coma and enjoy the bay. you can either walk back or catch the bus. Lovely walk if you have any interest in nature or just a pleasant walk.

Walk the Pine walk at Puorto Pollensa and just take your time to enjoy the views, if you have a car carry on to the view point on Formentor and if feeling brave carry on to the light house at the end. If on a Thomson holiday they do a 3/4 day trip to the north of the island and you do the pine walk and viewpoint and other places, worth going

If we do the caves of Drach we hang back on the guided tour and not get pushed on by the other nation that likes Majorca
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.