General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Daughter and hubby took granddaughter to Morocco when she was about 5 months old no real problems as she slept most of the way out and back, just remember you will not get a seat or any baggage allowance for the baby on the flight, if you choose a resort/country that has a lot of English visitors [or residents] you will be able to buy most things you would at home, Myah was experimenting with solid food at that age, and apparently enjoyed the Taggean and couscous [sp?]

if you use the search facility there are several topics on traveling with baby

yasus
wizard
Personally I think it's easier to take a baby away at 5/6 months than it is once they are trawling /toddling . I did it several times when they were young . They are all teenagers now and it's much worse believe me .

At 5/6 months your baby won't be doing a lot . maybe sitting up and still having at least one good nap during the day . You can lay him /sit him up on a blanket on the beach , covered by a brolly and keep him occupied with a bag of odds and sods and a paddle or two . Then maybe he can have a nap in his pushchair ,again under a brolly then of an evening you can get him ready for bed as you go out to eat , bottle and a stroll around and if you are really lucky by the time you get to a restaurant he will be asleep leaving you to enjoy a nice meal.

Once they start crawling it's a different story completely . you will be chasing him through the sand which he will be eating as well amongst anything else he gets his hands on ,chasing him around a pool . you need eyes in the back of your head :yikes

you can take everything you need with you and most resorts around europe you could buy what you need if you run out . somewhere like the balerics or portugal would be a good choice . Menorca, Ibiza are all great for young familes and there are lots of pretty resorts to choose from . Fly time will be short too and september would be an ideal time .

No problem ,piece of cake :cheers .Ok never a completely stress free experience and it won't be a s relaxing as it once was but you will enjoy it enormously for very different reasons.

lyn
thanks for the replys, i quite like the sound of salou or if not then spain somewhere as like you say the short fly times, i supose itl be different when hes 5 months as to how he is now at 3 months (well obviously lol) hes still hit and miss really with feeding/sleeping, genrally i know hel have about 3 40-50 mins naps a day and be sleep for about 9.30 at night, i think hes having a growth spurt at the minuet though as hes feeding little and often and has gone from waking once at night about 4-4.30 to waking twice this past 2 weeks, i hope it settles soon!
We've been taking my granddaughter abroad on holiday since she was 10 weeks old and never had a problem (and always gone to Turkey which is a four-hour flight). As has been said, she was easier when she was younger than she is now - nearly two and into everything!!

In fact, I reckon it's easier abroad than in the UK - babies are welcomed everywhere (unlike some places in the UK where I have actually seen signs saying no buggies are allowed or children have to leave the premises by 8 o'clock).

Jak xx
Babies of 5 months or so, when they're relatively immobile, usually travel well. However, please make sure that if they are due routine injections they're up to date, bring some Calpol and other baby meds with you, and also accept that any routine they've got into, might just go out of the window.

However you're on holiday so you can nap along with them in the heat of the day. Don't forget suncream and a hat for them and their favourite cuddly/dummy/teddy etc!

You may find that giving them a drink/bottle/dummy on landing and take off helps equalise the pressure in their ears, and if they want to cry or grizzle, don't let other nearby passengers behaviour put you off ... sometimes it's the only way that babies can do this pressure equalisation themselves!!
My youngest daughter when we took her away ay five months, i was breastfeeding and bottle, so i took formula and brought sterilising bags from boots {we went to eygpt.} She slept fine in the cot, i took her blanket from home she was pretty shattered after busy day of napping, a little mixing on the sand and a dip in the pool.
We took a travel kettle aswell, i also just took the powder baby food as she was only having an evening meal and a couple spoonfuls at breakfast.
I let her nap in her pushchair if we where by the pool, i brought a shadeababe which was good, and on the beach let her lay under her parasol.
Id bath her first feed her then get myself n other two children ready for tea by time we went for her evening meal she was sound asleep, if she was awake she got plenty entertainment from waiters.

Your be fine try not to stress. Also just take enough nappies for first day or to to save on you luggage allowance there widely available, and you will find jars, dummies, wipes etc just different brands. Only thing i specifically took to last the week was formula.
:wave:
We went to Cala Bona with 7 month old twins and I lived to tell the tale :)

Seriously, it's easier going when they are babies in some aspects (they can't move around) but harder in others (sterlising bottles, baby food/milk etc).

I think I wrote a post about my experience.....will have a hunt and see if I can find it and post a link, you may find it useful.
If travelling with a baby under 1 year and still on formula:

Take Steri bottles and pre-mix formula in cartons for outward and return flights - taking enough to cover a delay. You can then ditch the bottles when they've been used rather than carrying dirty bottles around. Pack return flight steri-bottles and formula in suitcase. This is great if you're arriving late at night with no shops open as well.

You can get various formula milks and jar baby food in resorts

Steriliser bags are good but if you know you have a microwave I'd take a microwave steriliser for bottles - far easier!

Take your own travel cot - cots abroad generally don't have the same safety standards as we have in UK and from personal experience I would always recommend taking your own travel cot.

A babysling (we used a Baby Bjorn) is great for getting on and off a flight with a little one and leaves your hands free for bags etc - we used backpacks.

If you have a baby on your knee you will NOT be able to eat your inflight meal as the tray comes down where baby will be sitting so if you are paying for inflight meals be prepared not to eat them.

Use a buggy bag to carry buggy in - you can stash a few beach towels in there as 'protection' (and saves valuable space and weight allowance in your case) and helps to ensure your buggy is in one piece when you land

Advise staff at check-in that you wish to take your buggy to the gate and that you want to collect it at the end of the flight (not always possible but always worthwhile asking).

Take enough nappies to see you thru' flight and first day - in Spain the Spanish version of Pampers have the name DODOT.

We took Galt Playnests for our little ones to sit/lay in - so they had something else other than pushciar to sit in, when in apartment.
We took our youngest when he was 3 months to Ibiza (he is nearly 21 now)! We took a beaten up old pushchair that we got from a charity shop so it didn't matter how much abuse we gave it as we left it behind. We took an old golf umbrella with us (not sure if you could take one on a plane now) which we bungee'd to the pushchair to keep the sun off and then used it on the beach as his own personal sunshade. Again we left that behind but someone took it away to use (on the golf course)! As for travelling we took a supply of disposable nappies for the planes and airports and packed a supply of terry nappies for use as normal once we arrived. As we were self catering we could wash these as we went along and they dried really quickly. Junior was breast fed so no problems with food for him! In those days car seats were not compulsory so when we hired a car my wife could sit in the back holding him. The accomodation we stayed in provided a cot for us and also got us a pushchair in even though we hadn't asked for one! It was a brilliant holiday. We checked with our doctor before we booked and his only advice was to pack some re-hydrate sachets (which he gave us) just in case junior got an upset tum and wouldn't suckle!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.