Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Well Turkey isn't as bad as Tunisia but you will get people asking you to go into shops and restaurants. I always find that a polite "no thank you" or "I would just like to look" works very well though and they don't usually persist. Turkish people are very friendly and will often just chat to you while you wander and shop.

There are so many resorts to choose from and everyone will tell you thre favourites on here. I have spent most of my time on the Bodrum Peninsular as I used to live there so I can tell you a liitle about the places there. Bodrum is a lively town with lots of shops, bars and restaurants but not much of a beach so most people stay in one of the resorts nearby: Gumbet is a very busy resort, especially in the height of summer, lots of bars ans restaurants and a few clubs, Bitez is very nice, there are lots of nice hotels and apartments with restaurants all along the beach and a couple of bars. Turgutreis has a nice beach, plenty of bars and restaurants and good accomodation, Yalikavak is smaller, based along a small beach and around a pretty harbour, there are also other smaller resorts, which are less visited by vritish tourists such as Ortakent, Gumusluk and Torba.

All the resorts are with an hours transfer form the airport and I find the Bodrum peninsular very beautiful. It is vey easy to get around and visit places as there is a great bus service, little minibuses called dolmus run from Bodrum to all the resorts and it is a very cheap and easy way to get around.

Some people say there are cheaper resorts to visit but we always eat in nice places, particulary traditional Turkish restauranst and we find it very reasonable.

Anyway have a look at some resort reports and if you want to know anything else just ask.

Kedi
as Kedi says a polite no thank you should work ok we have never come across this problem, my biggest problem is i look turkish it works sometimes as long as i can remember to speak turkish or the little i know anyway
you should'nt have any problems if you do just tell them you will report them to the jandarma
:sun2
It definately isn't as bad as Tunisia. We were there last May and it was fine. First 2 days were the worst, but once you've got a bit of a tan they know you know how they operate so they don't bother you. Don't let it put you off, you'd love Turkey i'm sure. Make sure you bargain at the restaurants though. Shirleyh gave me a tip before I went, and it worked. If someone's trying to get you into their restaurant, say no your going to the one down the road, as they're giving you free starters or garlic bread or a bottle of wine e.t.c. They fall for it all the time, soon you'll be eating in their place with something for free :)
I go to both Tunisia and Turkey every year,and they are both very different!Turkey is not as bad for the hassle,also Turkish people are so genuine and friendlier.
i would try icmeler it has become less hassle in recent years as the mayor brought laws to stop people hassling and if they do they could get closed down for a few days or even good, so i think you will not find it bad :tup
They have the same rules in the Bodrum peninsular.
thanks for the replies
i think i,ve been convinced to go just got to convince hubby now ;)
i'm going to do some research. properly won't go till next year as where going the canaries this summer.
When anyone invites me into their shop I just tell them that I only have 15kgs luggage allowance and that Dalaman airport is really strict and charge £8 a kilo for any excess. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.