Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Hi.....flew back from Rhodes on the 4.20am flight on the 20th august....it has put me off flying with Thomson airways....

Going out was fine....was in a Thomson airways plane...on schedual....well informed and well orchastrated boarding...plane looked smart...cabin comfortable though felt a little cramped...crew really good , meal nice, good take off and landing...felt really safe and in good hands.

Coming back was on a First Choice plane....the pre boarding and boarding was shambolic.....we were first informed there was an hours delay...then they changed the gates from 8 to 9....though informed of an hours delay the boards still showed the original take off time....then aprox 4.30 we were informed we were boarding....we were told to go back to gate 8.....every one hurried out....just as the last were leaving we were told mistake come back to gate 9....the plane looked old and in need of a bit of TLC....we were told plane was originally delayed 1 hr arriving from Italy to Manchester...that they had made good time....speedy turn round...and a fast boarding for which we were thanked.....and were now only due 15mins late at manchester.... well done to captin and crew.

I have never been worried on board a plain before but I was not happy on this one...the noise from the engines was really loud....the cabin was really cold....a woman opposite us and her children were really cold and bought blankets....my son insists there was a draught coming in his window but as plane pressurised dont think this is possible.

We had the breakfast and it was basically 2 kinds of mash potatoes and a tasteless sausage....it was supposed to be scrambled eggs I think but it was slightly eggy tasting mash....then 2 circular shapes which were also mashed potato...

The captain and crew were brilliant.....there was some kind of medical emergency onboard and they dealt with it so efficiently and with little fuss or disturbance....
Must add smoothest take off and landing Ive ever had...well done captain

I would fly with that crew anytime but not on that plane
Sit together is free if you've booked a Thomson Premier Collection hotel.
TWEETIE PIE,

Thanks for your reviews. Just out of interest, did you fly out on the TOM2332 (767-300/ER) and back on the TOM2388 (757-200 winglets)? Where you sat near the doors behing rows 12 or 32 on your return flight? You do get cold stops at the doors and just behind them as there's less cabin insulation and tends to be a bit of a cold draught. That can also make it a little louder. The 767 is a slightly quieter aircraft being a widebody, but the 757 a proper rocket ship!

geovil wrote:
Must add smoothest take off and landing Ive ever had...well done captain

There's a First Officer onboard too, he/she may have been flying the leg!

Darren
geovil,

TCX is the flight prefix for Thomas Cook Airlines. For more information, refer to our Thomas Cook Airlines topic. MAN-MIR-MAN (TCX582K/L) are operated by an Airbus A320-200. You'll find further aircraft details on our What Aircraft? guide.

Darren
hi i am flying to hurgarder with thomsons from gatwick on the 11th sept can any one tell me what movies they are showing on both the outbound and inbound flight please.
nuttynet,
The inflight movies for September-October have not yet been made available. But if you keep your eyes out they will be posted on the Forums as soon as someone has them.

Z.J.C
hi Darren....your right could have been first officer....so well done to who ever took off and landed my flights...especially the return flight to manchester....they are top of the league when it comes to taking off and landing a plane....it was super smooth....didnt feel a thing.

Flew out on the TOM2388 20.55 on the 12th Aug....and returned on the TOM2389 04.20 on the 20th was in row 14 on return flight...yes a few rows back from the doors....I couldnt just hear the engines I could feel the vibration too....was in row 18 going out and didnt notice anything that bothered me ....I read somewhere ...about recent aircraft failures...I think on here that if a plane dont look good to you dont get on it....I did have my doubts about boarding ...I was already wondering what had caused the initial delay...the noise from the engines added to my concerns....and I really didnt feel comfortable....I am not saying there was any true danger it was just how I felt....I am not usually a nervous flyer....even on my first flight I was completely happy and relaxed. I still have no worries about flying ...just not on that plane again....I have flown Ryanair, Olympic, Thomascook , and went out with Thomson this time , and had no worries....infact enjoy flying....and as said before lovely crew ....they were so laid back ,relaxed and friendly...it made a big difference between being uncomfortable and scared...after all they knew the plane ect better than I did....and they were on it too
Hi
We are flying to Gran Canaria on 19th September - Flight No: TOM2676 - can anyone tell me what aircraft we will be on and if it will have back seat IFE?
Thanks
Debbie
Debbie1965,
Your going to be on a 757-200, it should be an ex-First Choice one. It won't have seat back entertainment unfortunately only the 767's(and select ones at that) have seatback IFE.

There will be a movie shown, time permitting two. If they show one, then they will follow up with various programmes from the BBC etc..
Thanks for the quick reply - not to bothered about the seat back tv's just want to get there! x
Hi im flying on TOM 074 outbound and TOM 075 inbound to cancun from gatwick airport on 17/11/09 return 01/12/09 could some body please tell me if it will be a ex thomson or ex first choice plane please?many thanks.Also can you still select your own seat on the aircraft if your in premium? many thanks
The route is operated by an ex First Choice aircraft at the moment during the summer months but is subject to change as you are going in the winter season. I am 95% sure it will be an ex-First Choice aircraft as there is very little in the way of "extra" adhoc work on the days you are flying.

Yes you can select your seat in premium
Thank you for the quick reply,how far in advance can you select your own seat?
cymrulad1106,

You can select your seats 6 weeks in advance currently. It's expected to become available online from November. You'll find further aircraft details on our What Aircraft? guide.

Darren
TOM 804 BHX to Sanford 14/08/09
TOM 805 San to BHX 28/08/09

Just flew in from Sanford today so thought I'd do a quick review of the flight as others have been very helpful to me on this site. We booked flights only last September at the height of the fuel price increases so they definitely weren't a bargain - swings and roundabouts I guess as the early booking tactic last year saved us nearly £1000.

We flew from BHX in premium cabin. I was able to 'select a seat' 8 weeks beforehand for which I paid £10 pp return. I selected 2A,B and 3A,B for our party of two adults and two kiddies. We din't want the bulkhead but wanted to be quite near the loo at the front A,B side

We arrived at BHX 3 and a half hours before our flight. There were two Premium check in desks and plenty of economy desks too. There weren't too many queues at all. Everyone had to go through API as the flight was to the USA so the queue was before you even got to check in.

When we got to check in I glanced at our boarding passes - 3A,B,C and D i.e. across the aisle. When I queried this I was told there had been a change of plane and 2 A,B didn't exist anymore. I asked check in if they could find something else as my kids loved looking out of the window. We were given 2 F,G and 3 F,G. The flight today was showing as full.

Boarding began 45 mins before take off. When we got on the plane we discovered Row 2 was bulkhead. There was no Row 1 A,B or 1 F,G but there was 1 C,D,E. There were also 2 Premium loos at the front on the A,B side of the plane. The A,B row went from 2 A,B to 9 A,B with 2 A,B also being bulkhead. 9 A, B did have a window but behind it was the economy loo so it didn't appear to have a full .recline. 10 C,D,E had the loo immediately to the left hand side of them but a privacy curtain was provided so you didn't have to look at it. These seats were also immediately in front of a wall (the wall divided Premium with the economy cabin) but had full recline. 10 F,G was the last Premium row on the F,G side but didn't have a window but did have full recline and you could see out of 9 F,G window (I know, these are the seats we got on the way back).

Back to the outward journey! Bulkhead was okay but you don't have as much room to stretch out your legs, due to the wall. You also couldn't store bags under the seat in front, as there wasn't one, which is something I always do. Plus side was you didn't get reclined on and the seats do seem to recline quite far back. Bulkhead rows had the tv's attached to the chair itself. Amenity kits were very nice - L'Occitane products. Hello, OK and Daily Mail were provided as reading material.

It was bizarre that check in said our seats didn't exist when they clearly did and, having spoken to the people sitting in them, they's bought Premium last minute. Not sure what happened there. The seats were fine though. Cabin crew had no problem with you crossing the galley to use the loos on the A,B side either The only thing you weren't allowed to do was use 1 C, D, E to access them which was fair enough.

Flight was ok. Crew were attentive and too your food and drink orders and brought them to the table rather then wheeling the trolley. There were 4 cabin crew for the Premium cabin. Food was okay at best. The kids were pleased enough with their meals and the aftenoon tea of ice cream, scones and sandwich was fine. Didn't really notice the mood lighting - it didn't affect my mood anyway! We were about 45 mins late to Sanford due to strong winds and setting off a bit late. Watched the films and played the games but the flight did seem to drag a wee bit. For the flight Premium get noise reducing headphones. These were gresat for the kids, instead of the fiddly little ones you often get.

On landing at Sanford Premium are the first to depart as exiting is at the front of the plane but our bags were last off the belt, as usual.

On the return we checked in early as I guessed we would end up with 3 A,B, C and D again. And we did. Asked the check in agent to find us something together so we got 9 F,G and 10 F,G. (Premium had two check in desks too). Baggage weight was being strictly enforced and several passengers were being charged for overweight luggage. T'fly/FC Premium passengers get free use of the Royal Palm Lounge at Sanford which was very pleasatn. Flight only passengers aren't told about this perk - we only discovered this by accident when we'd booked and paid for it last year. The Royal Palm refunded the charge.

Premium boarded first when the flight was called. Our seats were absolutely fine. It was nice to recline without worrying about the passenger behind. They were also quiet as noone came past your seat, being the last row in Premium. I'm not sure what plane we were on - it was an ex FCA plane 767. I did notice on a card reference to G-00An, but not sure if this meant anything.

In conclusion our flight was fine but I might be in the minority here as we flew with the T'fly Premium cabin last year and I preferred that as it was smaller, you could lift the seat rests and the tables were in the seat in front so it was easy to maneouvre in and out of your seat even with the tray table down. However the FC arrangement was also good. Apologies for spelling errors - still jetlagged.
Hi - we are going to Punta Cana on 25 November and booked Premier package plus Premium seats. According to website this should include reserved seating and day before check in???

Thanks

Eirian
:wave: hi anyone know if the flight we're on(tom1552 glasgow-reus)11th september, has tv's on the back of the seats and if this is quite a new plane?also the same question for flight tom1553.return.any news of what movies yet? thanks in advance.
Hi. could anyone advise if thomson flights are still allowing extra luggage allowance for padi registered divers?
psumo,

Welcome onboard :tup
You are entitled to an extra 5kg of luggage allowance on production of you certification card at check-in. I normally call them a few weeks before I'm travelling to ensure it's on my booking. The details on are on Thomsons website.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.