Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Firstly, when you got your booking confirmation through what did it say you'd booked e.g. double with cot etc? Also, did you book with the travel agent or on-line. Normally when there are extra charges there will be an asterix next to the item in the brochure or on the webpage. A prime example of this is for air conditioning, fridge etc. Then next to the asterix at the bottom it will say local charges may occur.

!7 euros per day seems a heck of a lot extra to pay for a cot.
Thanks for the quick reply Shirley.

€17 euros to me seems a ridiculous amount, i have already found a shop where i can buy one locally for less than the rental cost.
I woud jsut take the travel cot but with the wedding stuff plus the tonne of stuff needed when travelling with a child for the first time i am not sure if i will be able too.

On our paperwork it just states the room type and the 2 x adults 1 x infant. We booked through the travel agents in store and were told that there cots. There is no asterix or note anywhere in their brochure saying there may be additional costs for cots. As i said they have admitted to this themselves, their argument has now changed, they now argue it doesnt say they are free anywhere in the brochure.

I am happy to pay the money to try to take them to arbitration but dont want to just waste money if they will exploit a known loophole. The thing that angers me is that they jsut add this on without any assistance or understanding. We are fortunate that i can if necessary afford the extra money but it is the princiapl of the thing that has upset me. I can actually feel my blood pressure rise whenever i talk about it!
Sorry, I can't offer you advice on how to proceed. Just for the record, what's the name of the hotel?
Grand Hotel Capodimonte in sorrento. It was booked through First Choice for a thomson package.
I have just read my posts, i apologise for my poor spelling.
I really need to learn i cant type quickly! :duh
Hacket, I notice that FC website states that cots are available for hire. Are you saying that it definitely didn't say that on your brochure or was it that you hadn't noticed it?

Also, when you booked with the agent, I'm assuming you asked how the sleeping arrangements with the little one would work? what did she tell you with regards to the cot?

I suppose we're going round in circles here because regardless of who said what unfortunately, it's written evidence that's needed.
Thanks Shirley,

We booked from the thomson brochure in the store in February and nowhere in the brochure does it state that there is a cost at any hotel not jsut ours.
As i said, Thomson have changed their 2012 brochure to say "costs for hire" so it may well be that FC have done the same now.

Thomson have admitted in writing that they dont tell you there is a charge in their current brochure but basically say it doesnt matter that they didnt state it as they also dont say it was free.
I have had the same argument with them several times, the fact the rep sold us this as a room with a cot means nothing as it isnt written down. THis is our first holiday since Grace was born and i will make sure with the next one that i get all informaiton in writing.

It just seems wrong to me that they cna do this to people, no indication that there is even the possibility of a charge and then to add over £200 to the hotel cost jsut seems unreasonable. I work in business environment i know in my industry we wouldnt get away with it but it seems travel agents can act in anyway they like so long as they have a good legal team to twist small print to suit them.

Sorry, i am rambling again :cry
I cant post images or links becasue i am new but the thomson summer collection brochure can be viewed online and it doesnt mention anything about cot costs at all. Only in the 2012 version does it change.

Thanks
Does anyone have any advice?

Should i just write to ABTA asking if they feel there has been any wrong doing? :que
Thomson have admitted in writing that they dont tell you there is a charge in their current brochure but basically say it doesnt matter that they didnt state it as they also dont say it was free.

That's just a ridiculous statement to make. It also doesn't say in the brochure that your beds are free either but you'd be shocked if they added a charge for them after booking!!

I certainly think there's something that should be done but I'm sorry I haven't got a clue who you should complain to. In my opinion if you booked a room which includes a cot and you've been given the total price of the holiday which you've already paid a deposit on, it's very bad business (and underhand) to add on another £200 to that holiday. Surely that's not on :que
Hi :wave:

I hope you manage to get this sorted and don't have to pay that ridiculous price, but just incase you are forced to spend the extra money is it possible that you could take a travel cot with you?

I had a quick look and Argos have travel cots from £29.99 and ASDA have them from £25 if you don't get your cot situation sorted it might be worth looking at them as an option which would work out cheaper.

Graham
If I were you I'd go back in and ask them for written confimation that YOUR beds are free, your Bed sheets, if there is a charge for turning on the lights in the room, if they charge for opening a window in your room, maybe theres a charge if you turn the taps on cos I can assure you it won't say in the brosure that these things ARE included!!!
Does it say in the brosure that your room key is included? No? Well maybe theres a charge for that too! Does it say that you are allowed to walk on the floor of your aparment without a small chage per step? No? You'd better be carefull then!

You get my point!

This is a stupid thing for them to be arguing about that It didn't says the cots were free!!! and I'd say all of the above to them and when they tell you that you are being stupid you can tell them that it was them who started it!!!

17 euros x 14 is £238 euros, about £220! I'd buy one when there !
On our paperwork it just states the room type and the 2 x adults 1 x infant

By stating the room type and occupancy, this is to make sure that the room allocated to you will have the space for either a cot or a temporary bed because some hotel rooms have two single beds and no other space to swing a cat around in them.
I think this is a case for Trading Standards to take a look at because it seems to me this is misrepresentation, because like the OP I can't see any asterix or note anywhere in their brochure saying there may be additional costs for cots. ...so they must think the baby can sleep in a drawer or wardrobe.?
I know some hotels do charge for cots and in most cases it's because they don't actually have any or very few, especially if the hotel is not geared for families and so sometimes they hire them in, and whilst you're paying the hotel, it's the hire company who end up with the money.

http://www.thomson.co.uk/brochures/italy.html

If you go to the link above ( Italy-&-Croatia-Apr2011...Oct2011-(August-Edition) then click 'Discovering Italy' and finally in the search box put in Grand Hotel Capodimonte"¦you come to this page.
http://brochureshelf.co.uk/images/bb/5809/005809-000095-990w.jpg

It says what the hotel is offerring including cots and nothing about incurring local extra charges.
Then if you go to the A to Z section page 158....still nothing about any charges, except to tell you that if you bring your own and go over the luggage allowance you'll be charged....click image to enlarge.

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9206/cotse.th.jpg

BTW, It looks a fab hotel and far too classy to be charging for cots. :tup Take a trip down to your local trading standards office with screenshots from the links above ...oops I just did that too. :D
Sanji
Thank you to everyeon for your replies :tup

I am so glad to see that other people see this as unfair, You do worry that maybe it is just you over reacting!

I have tried talking to thomsons until i am blue in the face so i think the next step will be trading standards and see what they say.

I will update here when/if i hear anything back. Other people must have been charged this too so if something can be done thena ll the better for it. I am willing to argue it even f it means they cannot do it again in future becasue it jsut isnt fair on customers!!

Thanks again.
Don't let them get away with it hackett. I hope you get time to go to the trading standards with it.

The Thomson's page (Sanji's screenshot) would have been the ideal place for them to state that certain hotels may charge for cots. There is no way I'd interprate 'check there are cots available at the property' as meaning check how much they charge? :que

good luck!
Hi Hackett is there just you three going,if so I can appreciate a travel cot might be too much to take but if there are other people going with you couldn't somebody take yours for you.It might mean that you have to pay extra to your airline but it would be worth it to get one over on the tour company.
Thanks Shirley, I have submitted my complaint to Consumer direct, i will contact my local trading standards and i am also writing to ABTA to see what their advice is.

I willmake sure i keep this updated, the least i can do for anyone wishing to help me!!

As for taking the travel cot, it is only the 3 of us travelling so likely to be a lot of luggage but i am willing od whatever necessary to keep that money out of the hands of Thomson. Wost case is i will buy one out there and then maybe i can find some way of levaing it there to save someone else the cost too.

We will see, thanks again guys!
You could buy loads of travel cots for this price.

Could you not buy one over there and just leave it, it would still work out cheaper ;)
Hi there, Abta will only accept complaints after you have complained twice to the tour operator and have received two responses in writing. Unfortunately the travel company are normally covered in ts n cs for this kind of thing, especially when the hotelier is charging, not Thomson themselves, Thomson are not collecting payment, and dont normally have to honor prices not charged by them, but do have a duty to inform you before you depart. However there is no harm in trying Abta, they are the governing body for travel agents, and will determine whether Thomson indeed are responsible. On the bright side, they do allow infants 10kg luggage free plus a pushchair, but i know they take up a lot of room! Enjoy your holiday and congratulations on your wedding! x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.