Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
This is clearly very bad customer service and inexcusable and I can understand that the whole experience has been very upsetting for all three of you. I hope that you do get some redress but there are other ways that you could have gone about this that might have stood a better chance of getting a positive response from Thomson.

You don't mention the hotels concerned by name but the Thomson website does seem to indicate that room upgrades for anniversaries are subject to availability and hence are probably at the discretion of the hotel. The hotel, for example, might only be prepared to upgrade a certain number of bookings each week and who gets these is probably decided by them not Thomson staff. The website is also ambiguously worded with regards to the fruit basket and champagne etc and some entries do make it clear that these will only be available on presentation of proof in the form of a marriage certificate. So it will be important to check exactly what is on their confirmation invoice and how it is worded. Sometimes these things have no higher status than being a request so the exact wording on the documentation is crucial.

If you want to take this further I suggest that the best way forward would be to:

1) Send a short, concise letter that details the substance of the complaint 'They were promised a room upgrade and complimentary fruit basket and champagne and did not receive this' rather than having a rant.

2) Make sure that you send it by a 'signed for' service so that they cannot dispute that they have received it.

3) Remember that anybody you speak to in a central customer services dept is not personally responsible for this so don't take it out on them - get them on your side and you stand a much better chance of getting a result.

I hope that despite this your parents have been able to otherwise hav a good time and that you are able to get some satisfaction from Thomson.

SM
To be honest Rebecca, I'm not sure what you expected to get with that letter. You have already carried out your threat without giving time for them to reply so I can't see that writing a more concise letter with a specific request will make much difference. However it might be worth a try. I do agree that the branch did let your parents down with promises of upgrades. Are you absolutely certain this was said and it wasn't a case of sending in a request? What is down in their confirmation?
For any future holidays they have, could i suggest you contact the hotel yourself and arrange for champagne in their room( I did recently - I paid for it of course- and my parents were delighted. In fact the hotel owner then went on to provide a bottle of wine for dinner and made a real fuss of them).
In a hotel at any given time, there could be countless people celebrating something. I don't suppose it is realistic to think that a hotel can reward them all with upgrades.
Having said all that, I hope they enjoyed Madeira and it didn't spoil their holiday too much. Please let us know if they do reply. You could always tell them you will update your posts with how you get on ;)
rebeccar wrote:
Letter I sent to Thomson this week - says it all!!!

It's extraordinary to me that - whilst your online site, your high street stores and your reps work in perfect harmony to allow people to spend money with you - that synchronicity disappears almost immediately when it comes to resolving an issue or providing a
customer experience that's likely to generate positive word of mouth and repeat business.

Yours sincerely

*****[/quote

Hi Rebeccar,
I have every sympathy for you and your parents at the dismal customer service you have received , but hey look on the bright side , they've only got it totally wrong twice !!! Third time lucky if you can really be bothered to part with your hard earned cash to people who have displayed such high levels of incompetence and a lack of interest in trying to put things right . I just find it totally shocking that when you consider that a holiday is quite an expensive purchase that the customer service can be so lacking , it really is so unreasonable to be treated like this , I mean how much does it really cost them to supply a fruit platter and some local fizzy ? I guess around £15 cost price , how difficult is it to upgrade someone to an empty room ? , and on the back of just going that little bit more you could possibly recoup a repeat booking .
I understand you having a "little rant" in your letter, hopefully the person who gets it will actually "get" how you feel , you might be lucky in that it might be someone who has some common sense and feel a cringe of embarrassment , and feel that being given a third chance they might actually provide some customer satisfaction . Good luck !!!
I am really grateful for all your responses. I am very conscious that - in the grand scheme of things - this is pretty small. As Andy66 said though, I had to have my rant because this isn't a 'one off'. I totally understand that these things are generally non-guaranteeable and discretionary (indeed, Thomson HQ have emailed me a 1 line reply to that effect, wishing me luck in getting this resolved' - to have them say that to me as the people I'd be expecting to resolve it, incidentally, seems somewhat odd but at least I got a reply!). I think what has blown this up for me is that that wasn't what was said when they returned from Ibiza. That would have closed this down. That the staff in-store made it a big deal for the 2nd trip rather than simply making that point is what has made this so frustrating - and the on-site rep for that matter. But a line is drawn under this in my mind. I guess I've said my piece to Thomson and I will certainly let this group know if anything else happens. Thank you all again
Whilst I do understand the disappointment this will have caused I do think that there was possibly a misunderstanding and they were emailed requests, which is common practice, rather than guarantees.

Requests for anything special for anniversaries, birthdays etc are down to the individual hotel. It is not something that can be guaranteed, unless it is bookable in advance (when this happens there is often a charge involved) or comes as a standard event which can happen because the hotel is owned by, or is exclusive to that companies guests, and they have some jurisdiction over it.

At any point in time there are often lot's of people celebrating something special, and it isn't feasible to for the hotels to give freebies to all of these all the time. Often events that are entitled to upgrades etc free have to have some sort of paperwork to prove them (which makes sense or everyone could start claiming anniversaries, honeymoons etc.)

With regards to your letter, two points. Firstly, as you weren't on the booking Thomsons may not even respond to you, other than to say they can't discuss it with you because of data protection. They only would normally only deal with the lead passenger, or sometimes a named passenger, after the event.
Secondly, having written what you have in your letter you have given Thomsons no reason to respond, but that's not to say they won't. Standard practice is to respond to every complaint, (within 28 days) even if it's only to say they can't discuss it with you.
They are 'threatened' regularly, as are all tour operators, to be exposed on travel media sites. It is something that most people tack onto the end of a complaint thinking it will worry them into dealing with it quicker, or paying compensation, and it doesn't. Why should it? One persons bad experience wouldn't normally deter anyone else from booking through that travel agent or tour operator, and if it did, for every customer Thomsons lose, the other tour operators gain. It's a natural cycle. I'm sure they will respond to you but please don't think that it will be as a consequence of your 'threat'.

The branches customer service isn't of the best calibre :really and they really should have made more effort to try to sort it out, so I'm presuming the complaint is really about that particular unhelpful member of staff, rather than the company as a whole.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.