Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
I cannot believe that Thomson would choose to replace one very old bird, the Emerald, with another very old bird, the Escape. Certainly from what the press release does say, one could draw that conclusion! The Star is a much better ship than the Escape, by a long way, so cannot understand the apparent thinking.
Much as I suspect Thomson would love to replace the Emerald with the Island Star (Thomson Star, Thomson Horizon??), as I understand it, RCI retain ownership of the ship even though they are selling their stake in the company.

The joint release posted by Thomson on the Thomson and Island website (linked above) just says we are losing the Island Star...... Thomson Destiny and Island Escape are offering similar itineraries. The Cruise Critic story speculates that Thomson will just subsume Island's operation into its own brand.

This could be good news for Ocean Village. Given the similarity in dining options etc., I suspect Island was a closer competitor than Thomson, and many people who had considered Island Star for 2009 would be more likely to choose OV1 as an alternative in the Med rather than Thomson Destiny.

I can't help wondering if Carnival will seek to capitalise on that by moving on an Ocean Village Three
for the Med?
The latest statement seems to confirm that Island Escape will be transferred to Thomson.

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=2866
Thomson plots casual cruise concept with Island ship

TUI is to create a new "casual cruise" offering from next summer after buying out its half share of Island Cruises.

And there is the prospect of existing Thomas Cruises tonnage joining the ship Island Escape within the new set-up.

This would provide Thomson with its existing contemporary offering and a new casual cruise alterative based on the Island Escape.

Full details are due to emerge with the publication of the next Thomson Cruises brochure for summer 2009 and winter 2010 in December.

The move will allow Thomson Cruises to attract more third party agency sales and bring in the business Island attracts through in-house First Choice agencies.

In the meantime, first time cruisiers' favourite Island Cruises is working to re-accommodate between 7,000 to 10,000 passengers booked on its second ship Island Star which is to move to former half shareholder Royal Caribbean's Spanish Pullmantur arm next April.

A range of options are being outlined to agents by Island Cruises including transferring passengers to a like-for-like Thomson cruise at a protected price in the Mediterranean or Black Sea. Discounts of between £75 and £150 are being offered depending on cruise duration for passengers opting to switch to Thomson Spirit ex-UK departures to the Norwegian fjords and Baltic.

Full refunds will be available for those not wishing to switch cruises.

The Island Cruises brand remains under review as part of the integration process by TUI director of cruising David Selby. Island employs 27 staff at its head office in Brighton and 35 at a dedicated Manchester call centre.

Island Cruises sales director Leslie Peden said the new Thomson Cruises casual product would run alongside the current Thomson fleet and there was the possibility of ships moving across.

Thomson Cruises ship Emerald was already leaving the fleet, so the addition of Island Escape will maintain the size at five ships.

Peden said that overall response from the trade to the changes had been positive.

"The uncertainty has gone away and the business can now move forward," he said at the ABTA Travel Convention in Gran Canaria.

With permission from TravelMole
cruise1st(Sunshine Cruise Holidays Ltd ) are part of the Island set up

Is Salford considered Manchester? could be that 35.

SHame if they go they have been puttingtogehter some good deals lately.
I have just had to cancel my cruise which was supposed to be on the island star next year! Got full refund of my deposit though so I can now look elsewhere. :tup
MMMMMMMMMm interesting as RCI have jsut cancelled our cruise with them for April 2010. They have redeployed their ship Brilliance Of The Seas to Dubai!!!
I think Carnival through Costa have the Dubai area to themselves at the moment

Loads of competition elsewhere, the med over the winter is not filling ships(Brill. and Jade) so prehaps moving it is the only option.
I have booked a latin caribbean cruise on island star 26th feb 09, all i could get at the time was an L shape cabim on golden deck with restricted view, can anyone tell me what these cabins are like ie size and storage space, and would i be better trying to book my cabin number or just take pot luck i am just a bit worried i will be stuck in a horrible cabin for 2 weeks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.