Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i can answer the first one,, the ten pound is an entry visa, been the same cost for years?
and you all have to pay it,

now talking to people who have just come back from various resorts, some say, take only english, some say half turk half english, some say marmaris wanted euro,,,,,,, on our visits we took a mixture but the ext time we took english,, if you bought somehting, they worked out the value, and gave you change in lira....... but it might not be the case in all places now,??
as for the drink one,,, i dont know sorry,,,,,,,
The £10 is for your tourist visa, everyone has to pay, including children. I even had to pay £10 for my 8 week old daughter! You get the visa before you go through passport control.

It is best to take a little lira with you, enough fo the first day and change the rest when you get out there.

The legal drinking age in Turkey is 18 but most places will serve a 17 year old with alcohol, I don't know about your hotel though as I have neer been there.
Thanks, what about insect repellant. Will I need it?
:que
Possibly, the best one I found was Johnson's Off, you can buy it in the supermarket's there. lemon cologne is good too and can help if you do get bitten as well.
Hi, 17 year olds won't be served alcohol at the Titanic, they are really strict about that!! Although I don't suppose there is any reason why you couldn't order a drink on their behalf!!
They provide beach towels but you will need a refundable deposit of 10 Lira for each one - you get a towel card and exchange it for a towel at the hut each day.
There is an ATM just outside the hotel, at the shopping centre. And a couple of exchange kiosks further along the 'strip'. Even Dollars are widely accepted in Antalya, due to the amount of Russians going there.
It's a wonderful hotel - one of the best on Lara beach and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.!! If you need to know anything else, just ask.
Denny
Hi mt daughter is going to Titanic hotel in october.
Does anyone no the dress code for men in the resturant, is it long trousers ,or will smart three quater lenghs be ok. and what about shoes or is sandals ok.Also is there any mossies about thanks.
Hi Gerty, I believe 3/4 qtr length will be okay :tup
Trousers, smart shorts (not swimming shorts) or 3/4 pants are all OK. Shoes/sandals/flipflops all ok.
Not too many mossies, as they spray (smoke) the hotel regularly, and there will be less of them in October anyway!!
It's a great hotel.!!! Fab food and great kids facilities.
Have a fantastic holiday. !!!
Denny
We went To the Titanic April 2007 so don't know if much has changed. As most of your questions have been dealt with i will mention a few other things. First your mini bar in room it is repenished on a daily basis but only with what you have used. So if you intend to go out and take drinks with you build up a stock by putting what is left in your wardrobe. You have to visit Antalya and the Bazzar as well as the harbour. Go into Antalya by a Dolmus far cheaper than a taxi, cost us 1.5 lira approx 70p each and takes about 20 mins. As for other trips are you with a holiday company? Last year found their trips fairly exspensive, that was with Thomas Cook we did two The Green lakes wasd the best value for money. You must do Manavgat waterfalls and Side. Last year they did not have an excursion to Side so my wife and i palled up with another english couple and their two children and did by taxi. Does not look far but it's an hour away. Haggle a price with the manager of the taxi compant which is outside the hotel we eventually got him down to 45 euros. For that price we hasd to do two shopping stops. You dont have to buy just show some interest as the driver gets a petrol voucher from the store which helps bring your fare down to 45 euros. They are actually worth doing as our driver took ust to a jewelry store where we spent some time and also money as their gold is terrfic value and they have some wonderful designs. On the way back from Side we called into a leather warehouse but that did not interset us so much. By the way your taxi driver is with you all day for that price. Finally as regards to your daughter and drinks at the hotel, in the evening there is waiter service we used to give the waiter 5 lira for the night and he would look after us very well all evening that was for a group of 12 so a drink could be got for your daughter and no one is any the wiser. Hope this is some help to you have a good holiday as i am sure you will
Hi Jonesy, Thanks for all the info!!

For the record we are going with First Choice, so no doubt that all excursions will be expensive. 13 more sleeps! :cheers
Yes, the trips are expensive with First Choice. If you walk down the 'strip', - turn right outside your hotel, and then passed the shopping centre, there are some kiosks selling trips, these are much cheaper.
The hotel does a boat trip to Durden waterfalls (info about it on the jetty on beach), includes lunch,followed by a shopping trip to Antalya. Can't remember how much it was, but seemed reasonable.
The hotel had a coach going to Antalya, don't know if it does it in high season. Easy to get a dolmus though. It's a good day out, plenty to do. You can also get boat trips (1-3 hrs duration) at the harbour there.
Like Jonesy says a trip to Side is great, very different place from Lara! Don't know what the reps charge for it though.
You will have a great time.
Denny
Thanks for all your help and advice its been very helpful,just waiting to go now.
just got back from the best hotel I have ever been in. I had never been to Turkey before, but if this is the standard then it is miles better than Spain/balearics/Canneries etc. I will post o hotel report alittle later, but Titanic is so much better than anywhere else I have stayed :tup
We are thinking of booking the Titanic for next oct.09. It looks absolutely brill :hyper Could anyone advise me if it is possible to hire wheelchairs there?, and is the Hotel and resort suitable for wheelchairs and gentle walking.

I hope so, because my sons are jumping around now with excitement with 13 long months to go :yikes
Yes, you can hire a wheelchair from the hotel but they cost 10 euro per day! The hotel is very modern and suitable for the disabled, you can get an adapted room if necessary. E-mail them first. The resort of lara beach is very flat also.

Phil1972, glad you had a great time, super hotel isn't it? Just imagine what it would cost to stay in a hotel of that standard in this country??

Denny
Thanks denny.53,

my mum probably wouldnt want one every day, just for trips out etc, as she could manage to walk around the hotel, so that would be perfect :)
hope you dont mind me asking you a few questions about the titanic and lara beach..
What sort of trips do first choice offer, is their one to Side? or would be possible to catch a dolmus their.
Is their a kids club suitable for a 3 year old?
Is lara beach really quiet, ie is there many shops, bars etc?
What sort of entertainment do you get on a night? are there any belly dancers, turkish music,dancing etc
I know I sound fussy, its just that we are use to self catering in a central location, and eating out somewhere different every night, but we thought we would try a.i for a change,as having 3 hungry kids to feed, water and entertain for a week costs a bomb.

Thanks

jackie
Yes, there is a trip to Side, offered by the reps. It is possible on a dolmus but it is around an hour away in a taxi, so going by dolmus will take a a lot longer, due to all the stops they have to make!! There is a taxi rank just outside the hotel and they were offering trips to Side and to Antalya, beware though, that they also stop off at a jewellers and carpet shop (thats how they keep the costs down). There are also some kiosks that offer day trips at reasonable prices. There is also a boat trips from the jetty at the hotel to Durden waterfalls and then shopping in Antalya and back by coach. Can't remember the price but it seemed reasonable.
The kids club is located in a pirate ship at the kids pool, inside it has ball pool and tables and chairs for activities etc. It seemed very safe to me, and adults can go in to supervise their kiddies. The kids pool is lovely, with little slides etc for tiny kids, very shallow so very safe. The beds around the kids pool were in great demand though, so you may need to get up early to reserve a bed.! There is also a covered play area with swings, slides and trampolines. Bigger water slides are at a separate pool.
Lara beach is fairly quiet and there is no resort centre as such, there are, however loads and loads of shopping bazaars nearby.
The hotel entertainment at night, I thought was very good, mini-club disco first and then the shows, which included chinese acrobats, childrens circus - trapese acts etc. Afterwards there was dancing at the outside bar.
The food and drinks are excellent, loads of choice, excellent kids facilities, filled mini bar daily, limited hours room service, even a great midnight snack service.
You will have a great time!
Denny
Thanks again denny,

We just want fab accomodation with the turkish feel about it and the Titanic seems to tick all the boxes :hols

Hopefully will be booking very soon,while the prices are quite reasonable (£2881) for 6 of us. Daughter is doing A level travel & tourism and has been told that prices are going to double next year :cry

So as fred pontin used to say, Book early! :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.