Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Dont know about rolling tobacco but when we were in Krakow in May this year it was not possible to buy any Hamlet or any other well known european cigars - I think this also applied to cigarretes as well
Hi, does anyone know if you can get Malboro lights from Krakow, and roughly how much they cost?

Thanks,

T.
not 100% but all the packets seemed to be their own brand
thank s for teh reply, can anyone confirm this for certain?
anyone know fer sure???? :shock:
Hi, Just got back from Krakow yesterday. My friend purchased her malboro lights for 69 zloty per carton
Hi i am going to prague in april and was wondering if anybody could tell me about tobacco price in sterling

espically the brands lambert & butler, mayfair and JP'sBlack
Was in Prague in January and I saw Silk Cut, Benson and Hedges, and one other known brand (can't remember now) there isn't that many British type ciggies there. The cost of a carton of SK were about £18
Did anyone find golden Virginia tobacco?I heading to
Warsaw at the end of September,was there any in
the airports?
Well I smoke rollups and basically you can buy their own eastern block brands from tobacconists but not Golden Virginia, mind you this was two years ago.

If my memory serves me right it was for sale in duty free at the airport. You have to produce your ticket and they will only sell you the legal amount. You could always buy some on the way out to Poland from the UK duty free.
I paid about £12-13 a carton of b&h/malboro gold while in krakow earlier this year.

I did get a pack of 8? or 10? rolling pouches for a girl in the office but I cant remember how much that was sorry. It was a brand that we have over here because I can remember calling her and going through all the names.

If your staying in either the shearton or novatel (they are about 2min walk from each other) and make your way towards the main square the shop I bought them from was opposite the orange shop.
Cigarettes are as cheap as chips in Poland.

Price wise expect to pay like for like with UK prices WITHOUT converting.

In other words a packet of 20 Marlboro Red will cost about 6.75 Polish Zloty (just over £ 1.20 a packet).
Are there any limitations on the amount of cigarettes you can bring back from Poland to the UK?
Hi Drewster! Yes 200 each, but we did manage to bring 1200 between 4 of us. In the airport around £15 a carton.
6 cartons, & thankfully no-one on customs when we returned. Happy days. :hyper
I drove back from Poland July 2006. I didn't know about the restriction and brought back 2000. I thought being EU it would be fine. I got stopped at the German border and they took the lot. 15 months later they have sent me a letter (all in German!!) basicly asking for the unpaid duty on the cigarettes. Do I have to pay the duty on something I haven't got?? What can they do???

Can anybody help or know of where I can get FREE advice???
New to this message board - apologies if its considered bad form to raise a topic that obviously hasnt been posted for nearly a year.
I had a similar expereince travelling into Germany from Poland with about 1200 cigarettes. I did actually know there was a limit but thought it was worth a chance and pleaded ignorance. They took the lot anyway of course - wouldnt even leave me with the 200 I was entitled to bring through. They did say I might get some letter like that described above and they took all my details but I moved house later in the year and obviously didnt bother to let the state of Brandenberg know about it. I've no idea if they tried to chase me for the duty but my view was that if they did they could whistle for it - dont see what they could do to force me to pay and if it meant I couldnt set foot in Germany again that wasnt a problem for me. Wouldnt like to advise beyond that - they may have some arrangements witht he UK government, but i've heard nothing and this was about three or four years ago.

Anyway what led me to this message board was I was trying to find out if there was any plan to lift this limit on the numbers of cigs you can buy in Poland. They've been in the EU quite a while now I thought it was a temporary thing when they joined but eventually it should fall in line with Spain etc so you can bing back 3000 or whatever. With the price of the old Euro going up its going to cost another £5 a carton to buy cigarettes in Spain compared to what it cost three months ago so its time to find some cheaper options. As far as I can tell youre still only allowed 200 from Poland - anyone know different or whether that is likely to change in the near future?
Thanks
Sorry about the way this link may look when opening (bits highlighted, etc., should be a PDF), but it's the only place I could find that seems to confirm what I think is the case (HM Revenue and Customs) i.e. that from 31 December limits re Poland, Hungary and Slovakia limits are no longer imposed. Hope that I'm understanding this correctly??

Page 4 here
http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:XnaRUgq8W0AJ:customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/downloadFile%3FcontentID%3DHMCE_CL_001734+duty+free+allowance+december+2008+poland+to+eu&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&gl=uk

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_009560&propertyType=document
Last week I got back from 3 weeks in poland-been going there for 15 years+ and all this time have been buying my ciggs there.About 6 years ago when short of time heading back to Calais to catch a ferry I crossed over at 02.30 and got stopped on polish/german border with 1200 ciggs and had to pay duty(about £86.00 at the time) and then was let through with the lot.It was possibly because of the time of my crossing that I was checked as I normally crossed over during daytime (when lots of others were doing the same) and put my ciggs out of sight instead of blatantly on view to be seen by anyone who looked into my vehicle.5 years ago I managed to buy 3.0kg of Golden Virginia in Rzeszow south poland but since then there has never been any available for sale.I remember paying the equivalent of £1.50 for each 50 gm pouch as this was so cheap at the time but compared to the local hand rolling tobacco it was expensive and therefore not a popular choice.I have looked for golden virginia each time I've been over since then but never managed to find any for sale.This trip I bought a box of 50 cartons of cigarettes (50 x 200)-I smoke 60 a day-and as there is no longer a check on the border between poland and germany came straight through.At dover I was stopped and straight away declared how many I had-hardly any alchohol brought as I don't drink often-so the ciggs were the only possible problem.After a search was done on my campervan and about an hour of questioning i was allowed through with all my ciggs as customs were satisfied that they were not for re-selling but for my own personal smoking(which is the truth).I have smoked "duty free" from poland for the last 15 years and go over usually twice a year to stock up which saves me around £4,000 a year.Another thing to buy there is washing powder.Here it's 2.5 times the price.I just paid 24.2 pln (£4.80) for a 8kg plastic sack of their equivalent of daz or persil and I buy 3 or 4 sacks which last me the whole year and saves me a nice few quid which helps to pay for my trip.Poland is a beautiful country and if their roads were brought up to UK standards would be a joy to travel round.As their diesel fuel is 3.29pln(66p / litre-Auchan Wroclaw) and no revenue from it goes towards maintaining the roads I'll suffer in silence and just drive a bit slower while enjoying paying much less for my fuel than I do here in london.If anyone wants to know anything else about buying things in poland I'll be happy to tell them having myself been buying from there for the last 15 years i've lots of experience and have bought many things from large screen plasma tv's to digital cameras,computers,bicycles and had quite a few vehicles converted to run on LPG over there as the price is ony 33% of the cost of conversion here!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.