Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
tobacco prices
19 Posts
to give you an idea as I don't smoke but my other does and she was paying about €3 for a packet of 20 that back home are about £5

Steve
Last year I paid 45 euros for 10 Golden Virginias and I think Samson was around 35 euros for 10
My friends want me to bring back ciggies for them back from Cyprus, my questions are.

a) 3200 i can get legally from the airport as duty free, how much are they likely to cost for that amount

and is it cheaper to bring that amount in a case in cyprus or to get them from the airport in the UK .

Thank you

Michelle x
you can't "legally" get cigarettes for someone else ! ;)
You can Steve - see the second bullet here
Full text here

Tax and duty on goods brought to the UK from the European Union

For excise goods such as alcohol and tobacco, there are no restrictions. However you must meet the conditions below:

- you transport the goods yourself
- the goods are for your own use or as a gift - if the person you give the goods to pays you in any way (including reimbursing you for any expenses or payment in kind), then it's not a gift and the goods may be seized
- the goods are duty and tax paid in the EU country where they were acquired
To answer Michelles question

At Cyprus prices
Work on €3 a pack and you won't be far out whatever you get
3 x 10 = €30 a carton
x16 = 3200 = €480

Don't buy in the UK as they are stupid expensive as they have to be (as my post above) "duty paid in the EU country in which they are acquired".

Same sums for UK
£5 each (conservative)
x10 = £50
x16 = £800
Pubdog - your own post shows why you can't get them legally for someone else

If you are travelling to the UK from the European Union (EU), you can bring in an unlimited amount of most goods for your own use.

the goods are for your own use or as a gift - if the person you give the goods to pays you in any way (including reimbursing you for any expenses or payment in kind), then it's not a gift and the goods may be seized

if someone wants you to get them some tabaccy/cigarellos etc then unless you are willing to buy them 3200 and not expect a penny (which I doubt is the case) then you can't legally do it...

:cheers
AskCy,
As I posted, as long as no money changes hands, you can, and legally. That was the point I was making.
Michelle did not mention money - if she wants to buy someone 3200 cigs... ;)
You can only bring back 200 cigs per adult.

Sorry Guys :(
After stating only 200 cig are allowed, i decided to check through HMRC info.

It states that cyprus is part of the EU but has a '*' next to it.

*Though the whole of Cyprus is part of the EU,
goods from any area of Cyprus not under effective
control of the Government of the Republic of
Cyprus are treated as non-EU imports.

Southeren Cyprus IS under effective control of the government of the republic.. Is it?

The reason i ask is we had cigs took off us a few years back and was told it was only 200!

we go in 2 weeks so would like to know what we can bring back. ;)
Southeren Cyprus IS under effective control of the government of the republic.. Is it?
It is, yes.

any area of Cyprus not under effective control of the Government of the Republic of Cyprus
For this, read "the north".

we had cigs took off us a few years back and was told it was only 200
Cyprus only joined the EU in 2004 - was it before this?

Quantities are unlimited (see provisos in my earlier post), but expect to be questioned if you have over the "guideline limit" of 3200

Hope this helps
It must have been 2003, we paid in Cy£ so that would make sense! Ha Ha.

So we can definatly bring back up to 3200?, its just with us getting stopped before and getting a 'warning' we dont want to end up in big trouble.
From the south of Cyprus, yes :) Just to add that although Cyprus joined the EU 1st May 2004, they didn't adopt the Euro until 1st Jan 2008

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingeu.htm
Although there are no limits on the amount of alcohol and tobacco you can bring in from EU countries, customs officials are more likely to ask you questions if you have more than:

3,200 cigarettes
200 cigars
400 cigarillos
3kg of tobacco
110 litres of beer
90 litres of wine
10 litres of spirits
20 litres of fortified wine (for example port or sherry)
3,200 cigarettes
200 cigars
400 cigarillos
3kg of tobacco
110 litres of beer
90 litres of wine
10 litres of spirits
20 litres of fortified wine (for example port or sherry)

Always strikes me that it would be cheaper to buy the above at home if you tried to bring it all back. Imagine the excess baggage charges :yikes

fwh
I would think if you are trying to bring 3200 cigarettes back claiming they are for you own personal use and aren't wheezing like broken air duct and haven't got half a dozen nicotine patches stuck to your forehead then they might ask you about them !.. :D
I agree AskCy, 3200 is an awful lot. And no, I have never come close to bringing that many through the airport...but definitely more than 200 ;)
I agree AskCy, 3200 is an awful lot

It's 160 packets of 20. I smoke 1 pack a day, as does my wife, and for years we buy a years supply each when on holiday, which is 360 packets, or 7200 each.

Customs may have the right to question you upon your return to the UK, but they have no right to seize them if you explain that they are a years supply. Not that we've ever been stopped.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.