Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Toll on A22?
7 Posts
We read about it when we were there in July. Seems the locals weren't too happy so we were unsure whether it would go ahead.

Here's the post where we discussed this :- http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146927&hilit=Toll
Still being hotly debated! The Spanish people coming to work in the Algarve (there are hundreds if not thousands of daily commuters) have vowed not to pay it, no-one has figured out how the thousands of car hire users and Spanish visitors will pay it and the locals are up in arms and forming committees to try to get government to back down.

Due to be introduced April 2011.

Electronic tolls are being rolled out across many Portuguese motorways.
The 125 will be busy then!!.

Must admit without wishing to get political I've always wondered when I travel abroad how we pay punitive tolls in France and more and more in Northern Spain lately, we have to buy vignettes in Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic etc but the UK government, who if you listen to all and sundry are strapped for cash, let every visitor and his brother use and help to damage our roads for free, why don't we impose a vignette system on foreign traffic.

Always baffled me!
Local rumour is that the charge is likely to be 8 cents per kilometre and, judging by the traffic density yesterday morning on our return to Faro from Lagos, this should boost the government's coffers by around €8:50 per day during the quiet season. :D
Probably less, as the tolls are being collected by a private company who will take their cut first.

There was a rolling road block type demo along the A22 before Christmas.

The Comissão de Utentes da Via Infante is presenting a petition to Parliament tomorrow and a further demo is planned. Meanwhile it is reported that work is already in progress on the installation of the necessary equipment.

But it will easy to avoid the tolls - just use the N125 instead.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.