Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
We've always found it very cheap. We stay in the montemar area of torremolinos (the riu nautilus or the amaragua) and pay between 1 euro and 1.80 euros for a pint. lunch including a couple of drinks about 15-20 euro's and a 1 course dinner with wine and beer about 30-40 euro's.

Can't wait - we're going for 5 days on Sept 26th.
Just a thought - In my experience, I have found, along with other family members that changing money over in Spain as opposed to in UK generally works out more favourably. However, make sure you use an exchange place that does not charge commission. Worth taking a stroll around to find a competitive rate.

Most banks will only change travellers cheques if you have an account with them.
Most banks will only change travellers cheques if you have an account with them

We have been made aware of such problems in the past, but this should not be happening now, especially with American Express Travellers Cheques.

We took this matter up some time ago with American Express following complaints by members who were experiencing problems at certain banks. American Express contacted the banks concerned to make them aware of their obligations under the American Express 'Watch & Compare' policy. This guarantees payment to a bank, as long as bank representatives watch the customer countersigning the cheque and then compare this signature to the original signature on the cheques. As long as the signatures are a reasonable match then payment is guaranteed by American Express. This applies irrespective of whether an account is held at the bank concerned.

The banks previously involved were Banco Popular Espanol, BBVA and Banesto, all of which have since confirmed to American Express their understanding of their obligations under the 'Watch & Compare' policy.

A full list of banks providing free encashment of cheques under the 'Watch and Compare' policy can be found on the American Express website at http://www.americanexpress.co.uk/travellerscheques

Anyone experiencing problems at any bank should ask the bank concerned to contact American Express via the 24 hour freephone number which has been made available to them as part of their agreement with the company.

David :wave
Hi David,

Interesting reading but my friend visited several banks whilst on holiday in Fuengirola in May only to be told that he could not cash these unless he had an account at that bank.

Of course in situations like these, most bank clerks prefer not to understand English therefore making the situation very difficult for the customer to argue his/her rights.
Hi sunnysenorita ... it's very disappointing to hear that this problem is still going on. American Express felt that the situation had been resolved on the part of their customers, however Thomas Cook did not respond to our concerns.

If any American Express customers do experience such problems, please contact AMEX on freephone 0800 521313, or via the freephone number supplied along with the Travellers Cheques.

David :wave
:offtop
Cynical is my middle name
See you there :wink:

besos xxx
SanJi
I go to Torremolinos and know of quite a few places there that charge no commission with Stirling travelers cheques. They tend to be the small, independant travel agents (where you book your day excursions) that do this. For years now I haven't paid a penny in commission when I change my money over. This ISN'T the case with Euro travelers cheques though. Hope this helps.
Hi Sanji,

See you there too !!

We're staying at the Amaragua from 26-30th. Where are you staying?? Flying with Easyjet from Stansted. Got what I thought was a great deal. Booked flight and hotel seperately and got the lot for £400 total. It's the money we got back from airtours after we were bumped out out the premier gold cabin when we went to the maldives - waste not , want not !!

Have a great time.

Tracy
we just got back from there, go through sanmiguel st ,there,s a set of traffic lights cross over,walk up narrow st for 50yrds,there is a belguin bar,ex beers, coctails,and goulash oh it is fab,the coctails are lethal,and the bus is 5 mins away to get back.they will even direct you ,they are really friendly people,where ever we stay we always have to go there .
Hi Stace 1983 There is a travel agency not far from the Griego Mar that also offeres the best exchange rates.Come out of the hotel take the short down hill walk to the main road turn right, walk till you come to a set of traffic lights cross over road, take a left between bar and photographic shop,walk straight ahead till you pass Galloping Major and Baileys bars and its on your left. Oh and I can reccomend the Bar Playa in C/Bulto 23 Carihuela.
Yep that's one of the ones I use. It's brilliant and 100% recommended!
The one between the Galloping Major and Bailey's that is. And if you want a blooming good meal, try the Cacerola which is virtually opposite. This street is paved and pedestrianised too by the way. The food at the Cacerola is superb and the staff are EXTREMELY friendly. The owner, Tim is English and his wife is Spanish. They have had the place 'for ever and a day' and they know what they're doing there. You will get one of the best fillet steaks ever here!
thanks for all the advice am really looking forward to it now. another thing i was wondering was if there were any cashpoints in gibralter. i know its english money and dont want to have to decide how much to take before we go. cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.