Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi amy. Im glad you have asked this because i want to know too! Really dont fancy the jeep trip there, a train ride would be far more interesting. Staying n Baga next March. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Lisa. :D
You still have to get to the falls via jeeps, not a short journey and very bumpy :!: Another thing, don't wear posh gear, by the time you return from the falls everything will be red :shock: Dust gets everywhere :wink:
Don't be cissies :lol: The jeep ride is the best bit, brilliant fun. A great bit of off roading - I enjoyed every minute :!:
Agree with you fizzy, just a warning to anyone with a bad back etc about it being bumpy :wink: Tony.
Wish you'd told me before - probably why I have a bad back :lol:
A few years ago Indian Railways attached a special coach to the morning train which stopped at the small station at the top of the falls. and you were picked up at the end of the day. Because of lack of advertising it never took off but I was told last season that they were thinking of trying it again. Certainly I've friends that have done it themselves, getting the early train out and one back later, it just took a bit of planning, and I'm sure if youl looked into it it would be possible, and avoid the jeep journey that's not everyones cup of tea Alan
You'll never believe this, but I actually fell asleep on that jeep journey!! ha ha
If you read my post on this above it'll tell you indeed there is, and its a good alternative to the bumpy ride. Alan
Local train leaves Margao at 7-20 am , I think it's a two hour journey, check return times at Margao station. At Colem there are locally controlled 4WD's at Rs 1800 per jeep, for 45 min journey. Or you could walk it's around 10 km's. The train no longer stops at the falls to the best of my knowledge. Maybe it's easier to book a GTDC trip.
Many thanks for that lassigirl, I could cope with 45 minutes of it ok. :wink :)

Maybe it's easier to book a GTDC trip

Sorry lassigirl whats one of those :oops: :D
Sorry lassigirl whats one of those

GTDC is the Goa Tourism Development Corporation

http://goagovt.nic.in/gag/platou.htm

Hope this helps Lise :wink:
I checked out and took the train to Colem (Kulem) a couple of days ago.

The local service runs three times a day between Vasco and Colem, stopping at most stations including Dabolim, Cansaulim, Majorda, Margao, Chandor and Sanvordem/Churchorem.

Colem is the Konkani name for the village, the railways know it as Kulem.
Just like Margao is Madgaon.

07:10 Vasco, 07:48 Margao (arrive Colem 08:50) train 372SW
13:10 Vasco, 13:42 Margao (arrive Colem 15:05) train 374SW
17:30 Vasco, 18:12 Margao (arrive Colem 19:15) train 376SW

06:30 Colem (Margao 07:24, Vasco 08:20) train 371SW
12:20 Colem (Margao 13:08, Vasco 14:00) train 373SW
17:15 Colem (Margao 18:10, Vasco 19:00) train 375SW

Fare was 7 rupees each way between Margao and Colem. Return tickets not available. Pay just before departure at ticket windows at stations at each end.

Geoff
The falls is not very exciting! I was expecting something spectacular but i was so surprised how bad it was. Is a day out i suppose and the jeep ride is probably best bit about it. Very rocky for the "auld yins" -hard to walk! Feeding monkeys is good and a visit to the zoo was even better mind you!
Anybody got any good ideas of days out in the South? Done bettys cruise!- superb Any other good days out?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.