General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
there is another way......it can be worthwhile costing up for a diy job, finding an apartment and a flght yourself, cutting out the middlemen altogether; I'm not saying it's always cheaper, but the longer you go away for. the better value it becomes.
Otherwise, no, I'm no fan of travel agents - I think their powerful position as the first choice ( no pun intended...) for holiday purchase is nearly over; they will eventually become an endangered species.
I have always booked a package holiday for the usual 1 or 2 week duration - and haven't been near a travel agent for years. I either book over the phone (teletext etc) or online.

Elaine
I use the net to research our holidays then contact an agent that we have been dealing with give our specification and she usually comes in far cheaper than i can DIY plus of course we get the abta etc grantees

wizard
Wizard,
Would really like contact details for your agent if they can knock money off d.i.y. prices, but will quite understand if you want to keep it to yourself. If I'm ever lucky enough to find one like that, I won't tell a soul !!
Sargers
Its no secret i have built a relationship with a particular TA over the last 2 years, my daughter who lives in Kent has done the same with one particular branch of Thomas cook, If they have targets to meet many will split the commission to get a sale..lets face it 5% profit on a sale is better than 30% on no sale, you just have to think as they do

wizard
I always use teletext but just yeterday I called into our locai branch of Thomas Cook and got a quote for 2 weeks AI in Turkey for next March when the eclipse takes place.Convinced I would get a better price on line I was surprised to see the online price MORE for one week than I had been quoted for 2 weeks.I am still undecided as have been told Side is full of rude Russians!.
We booked "flights" only through a travel agents
We have had nothing but problems because there was a slight mistake made on the on-line booking. (name was booked in Irish name whereas the name on passport was the english version)
The travel agents and the airline are passing us back and forth quicker than a game of tennis.
I hope either one will let us know real soon what the story is.

Carol
Wizard,
From personal experience, my savings by going D I Y are usually about 40% compared to brochure prices on a like-for-like basis ( ie same dates, same accommodation ) and I can't see that a cut of the commission can make that much difference when you're talking about such savings. I think that travel agents must have a lot more leeway in their pricing structures than we could possibly imagine.
Here is an example from last summer mid July peek season (wife nearly caused a riot )

Permera Cyprus self catering in our chosen accommodation
We paid £253.00 each inc flights transfers meals etc. and booked 3 months in advance

another couple arrived the same day AOA Larnaka (expected to be put in AGIA Napa) on a last minute deal flights transfers no meals
they paid £275.00 each

the biggest problem was when yet another couple overheard the conversation they had booked pre Christmas to get a 35% early booking discount when we checked the TO brochure the price was £557.00 each
(after discount they paid £362.00 each)

we have tried several times to DIY and apart from Spain i could buy the package cheaper

wizard
Wizard,
With the advent of a "no-frills " airline ( the key, I think, to saving with D.I.Y.) from our local airport, I began putting together our holidays to the Algarve. I had always travelled with a well-known independent travel firm who, I still believe, give good value for money. I was amazed ( and delighted ) to find that I could put together a comparable package ( b/b on the DIY holiday compared with s/c on the firm's package ) for £5 LESS than 50% of what I would have paid with the holiday firm for a 3 week holiday ( same dates ). This, as I said, was an independent company who sell direct to the public and do not, therefore incur any agents' fees.
well done.. it works for some not others the main thing is no one should be prepared to accept the over inflated prices on offer or as my old mum use to say "if you don't ask then you don't get"

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.