Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Firstly, Nicosia Airport closed in 1974, so I presume you mean Ercan.

There will probably be busses to Nicosia from the airport.
She will have to make her own way from the north to the south of the city, or get a cab.
As far as I'm aware there is not a direct service, she may well have to change at Larnaca or Limassol.

There is also the Intercity Taxi Service, but I think they also do not have a direct service.

The best route is motorway all the way.

Not very helpful. Sorry.

Mark
thank you so much guys

i will make sure to post here once i have found a route, so may be i can help other people.
i had a look and the taxi can cost up to 200 euro one way,
sounds very expensive to do that.
My only worry is that i am learning to drive and i am not sure if is safe for me to drive from paphos to nicosia and back.
These are quoting Paphos to Nicosia €99.
Might be worth asking about the opposite way round?

I can recommend them as a company.
http://www.grabthatcab.com/pricespfo.htm

If you are still learning,please don't do the drive yourself :-o
Service taxi's are the answer, I have never heard of buses from Pafos to Nicosia personally, service taxi would be a fraction of the cost of a normal taxi, only problem they do wonder, and you may end up with an old lady with a goat on her lap, don't laugh it happens..not sure where you go to pick one up but I will ask around, a normal taxi would cost over £50 sterling..
I found on the website cyprus .com the following info

Nicosia to Paphos (at 6.30am Monday-Friday via Limassol and at 7am on Saturday on Nea Amoroza bus; 2hr; on ALEPA bus at 3.45pm Monday-Friday except Wednesday and at 12.45pm on Wednesday and Saturday, 2hr; on Solis Minibus at noon Monday-Saturday, CY£ 5, all departures from Plateia Solomou)

I am learning to drive in London, and at the end of may i have my test?
How is the driving in Cyprys, is it worse than London?
Driving in Cyprus.
Not for the faint hearted, or someone only recently passed their test.
Jim, being a resident will, no doubt, give his opinion of day-to-day driving there.
Myself being a 'holiday driver' in Cyprus for 20 years, 2006 was the first time I had a (very!) near miss.

Something I always say in situations like this:
Always expect the unexpected!

Mark
I doubt that you will be allowed to drive in Cyprus - either the regulations or insurance on a hire car might not allow it (given your potential pass date).

Not really like driving abroad anyway - right side of the road and familiar road signs !

John
  • Edited by john123 2008-04-15 11:02:49
We hired a car in Cyprus and travelled all over without any problems. They drive on the left the same as us which of course makes things easier.
i have albanian driving licence, but i am learning to drive in UK on the other side
that is what i thought , i am going in a little village where there is not a lot of movement

But i am learning to drive on the same side of the road.

I found that there is a bus from a company called alepa ltd and they have buses from monday to friday from Nicosia to Paphos.

It is once a day though
Cyprus has the third worst driving death/accident rate in the EU, this is a fact, it may look innocuous and familiar to the UK because we drive on the same side of the road (mostly) but a warning to all Cypriot driving standards are dire!! it always amazes me how we seem to get home in one piece, and how do they steer there cars on mobiles, lighting cigarettes and plucking there eyebrows at the same time..it really is scary.
now i am finding a different problem,
I emailed the cyprus consulate in greece and i was told that if my sister comes in cyprus through Ercan airport she will not be able to enter the greek side of the island?

Is that true? i am so worried that this holiday seems is going to be a lot of struggle.
This maybe true but why don't you email the British Consulate in Nicosia for a definitive answer..

CONTACT DETAILS

Address: British High Commission
Alexander Pallis Street (PO Box 21978)
1587 Nicosia or
BFPO 567

Telephone: +357 22 861100

Facsimile: (357) (22) 861125 Information
(357) (22) 861175 Management
(357) (22) 861200 Consular
(357) (22) 861150 Commercial
(357) (22) 861315 Chancery

Email: infobhc@cylink.com.cy

Office Hours: Mon-Fri: 0530-1230 GMT
Mon-Fri: 0730-1430 Local Time

Here's some information taken from the consular website.

British and other foreign nationals who have entered Cyprus through the north are considered by the Government of the Republic of Cyprus to have entered Cyprus through an illegal port of entry. The Government of the Republic of Cyprus reserves the right to fine EU (including British) citizens for illegal entry if they cross into the south. In practice, their current policy is not to do so.

John
I called the Cyprus consulate in London and they confirmed that.

:yikes
What nationality is your sister ? (it's just that you mention an Albanian driving license above)

That may complicate things further :(

John
I will get her the ticket via Athens, but I was told that still doesn't guarantee visa :wave: :que
Flying in from Athens will make things easier I guess - and you should be able to get flights to Paphos - saving you the travel problems :)

Not sure if this site is any help to you......

http://cyprus.visahq.com/requirements/Albania/

John
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.