General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
well two stick in my mind
firstly the series of Alan Wicker programs mad when many could not afford to travel or at least not far, it introduced so many new places to people of my area

secondly the Floyd on series although mainly a food and drink program it they also gave some social history and travelog, also being as i enjoy food from all nationalities it helped introduce me to my second favorite hobby and also improved my favorite hobby of drink

Brian
Might sound daft...but James Bond movies...all those exotic locations some of which I've been lucky enough to go to. Tourist boards must rub their hands with glee if a Bond film is going to be filmed in their country.

I used to enjoy the BBC Holiday programmes but in the past few years its become unwatchable - too much obsession with style and the celebrity.

That one from Manchester Airport with Simon Calder was quite good for a travel magazine type program.

Douglas Chew cooks Asia as well as Floyd.
I like the programmes that follow people who have bought homes overseas and how they got on.

I'd liked that one with the english guy and the indian guy who bought a run down property in France and renovated it....can't recall what it was called now.
I loved all of Michael Palin's adventures. The series are often shown on digital channels, and I taped them all last xmas when they were all on UKTV Documentary, but I'm thinking of buying the DVD boxset, I enjoy watching them so much.
One thing which stands out on all Micheal Palin's programmes is that people are just people, wherever you go in the world, they all enjoy having visitors, they all like to sit around with a good meal and tell stories, and they all like to play the occasional light-hearted trick on the unsuspecting 'tourist' :lol:
I hope he makes another series, but I can't imagine where he'd go next, and obviously he's not getting any younger and was quite unwell for a while on his Himalaya trip :( Still, a very good collection of programmes and an excellent way to see the world from your armchair!
Yes...I know the one Brian....Nadia from Eastenders some time back. I liked that programme as well.

There was also a programme about celebrities being Holiday Reps....it had that 'nasty' lady from that Talent show 'New Faces'...Nina Miscow or something. That was a good programme. I think it was set in Greece?

Also....my favourite....'Duty Free', set in Spain....does anyone remember that? It was a half hour comedy series from the 1980's I think. Gewn Taylor was one of the main stars if I recall. Very funny.

Then was'nt there a Quiz show called 'The Sky's The Limit' or something with Hughie Green and Monica something or other? I think it was on air in thje early 1970's? (God I'm showing my age now!!)

Two other 'travel-related' TV quiz shows I seem to recall from the 1980's were: 'Busman's Holiday' and 'Bognor or Bust'.....but I can't recall much about them now.
My favourite travel programme was You Call The shots on BBC where the presenters visited a famous city i.e Rome and the public sent in thier own tips and favourite restaurants etc for the presenters to visit.

I loved Paul O' Grady's Orient a few years back as he travelled Asia - my favourite part of the world.
In stark contrast to my preference for Michaels Palin's travels (see above) - I also enjoyed all the "Ibiza/Tenerife Uncovered" series, and the "Club Reps" series in Gran Canaria, Faliraki etc. It's good to watch young people doing what young people do and wishing I was still young enough to do it all!
I remember "Wish You Were Here"... is Judith Chalmers the most well-travelled woman on the planet or what? It was always a good programme and showed "real" holidays, unlike the BBC's "Holiday" programme which seems to focus on things like cycling in the Alps/camping in the Sahara/milking goats in a remote French village etc etc... you know what I mean :wink:
ITV2 are currently showing repeats of "Holiday Showdown", another one of my favourites - does anyone know if they're making another series of this? I think it may have proved too expensive for them, the last series seemed to be quite low-budget. :?
Sorry Briar....slight typo there
Also not a travel programme, but I used to like Bergerac because I liked to get glimpses of the views of Jersey. I know it's not really abroad, but I wasn't as well travelled then and it looked lovely to me.
Well it is lovely. :D
Used to enjoy "Sunburn" with Michelle Collins and George Leighton as it was set in Lagos, Portugal ( they made two series-the first in the Algarve,the second in Greece.),where we holiday regularly and we knew nearly all of the location scenes well.Watching the series was like having a 30 minute holiday every week.
another one I like is the Hairy Bikers.I partricularly enjoyed seeing them in Vietnam- brought back the memories!
Some of you have mentioned programmes that are not travel ones- but then some programmes have boosted tourist ratings greatly. ( and of course some films!)
Yes, Fiona. I agree. My favourite film, I think you could call it "travel related" is Shirley Valentine. I just love that movie and I watch it over and over. I am not sure which Greek Island it was filmed on, but it really gave you a taste of what life on a greek Island is like and I am sure it must have inticed many people to take a holiday to Greece.
B.H.I.C.,
It was filmed on Mykonos (at least the location shots were.)
The holiday programme I liked had a male and female presenter, one of them did the holiday on a budget and the other no expense spared. It aired on BBC 2. I recall she was little and had a slight lisp and she always seemed to get the expensive side of them. They re-made it in the early 2000's with a small rotund baldy guy and a blonde woman.
Can't recall the name of either prgrammes or the presenters, any body out there know what I'm going on about.
a male and female presenter, one of them did the holiday on a budget and the other no expense spared
I remember that one! Can't remember what it was called, but it was good :D They often proved that you could have just as good a holiday on a tight budget, and often actually see more of a place than when you're doing the luxury option.
:D Hi! My favourite one was the one presented by Claire sweeney, two families use to compete against one another, for an apartment abroad,they then had to answer questions for a key to the apartment, they then chose a key, and whoever's key opened the apartment, that familly won it. I've been racking my brains for ages, but cant remember what it was called. It use to be on itv early saturday evening, but sadly wasn't on for very long. Can anyome else remember that one? BBB.
Yes, I remember that show. If my memeory serves me correctley I think it was called 'Here Comes The Sun' :hmmm . Imagine what it must have felt like to insert that key and for the door to open and knowing the apartment was now all yours!!

Another good show, well IMHO, is 'Coach Trip' in which several couples board a tour bus and take a trip around Europe, but this is a 'Coach Trip' with a difference, because the couples that become just too annoying will be voted off by their fellow coach trippers and then they are dropped off at the nearest station and sent packing on their way home.
Benidorm

wasnt that french programme called something like "a place in france". The two guys were Nippy (sorry if spelling is incorrect) and Nigel. Nippy got fed up and Nigel bought his share only for the restaurant to go bust I think, met a girl and then fell out with her and is now living in London somewhere.

Great show.

Gail
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.