Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Generally speaking, I really think this advice should come from someones GP or GP Nurse.

But to give you a bit of a guide, we had Yellow Fever, Typhoid, Antimalerial drugs and obviously you need to make sure your triple that we have for this country is up todate the - DTP jab.
Think we might have had Hep A as well.

I would urge you to check with your Doctor though as the advice and brand name of drugs changes year on year, for example someone at work went recently and the anitmalerials she took were different from the ones I took some years ago.
I would stress the need to get informed and vaccinated as soon as possible as some of the vaccines need time to work and also Yellow Fever can be harder to get than the others as not all Health Centres and Doctors offer this vaccine which may need to be injected at a centralised health centre.

Please do be aware that antimalarials taken by mouth need to be taken WITHOUT FAIL EVERY DAY and sometimes require you to start and end the course before and after your holiday. Do not say 'oh I'm at the seaside so there are very few mosquitoes' or 'Oh it'll be cheaper there, I'll buy and take what the locals do' ....... as SOME people do!!

Incidentally you will need to discuss with your doctor which type of antimalarials will suit you best, and you should disclose ALL medication, both prescribed and over-the-counter, that you are taking. There are specific interactions between some drugs and the antimalarials.

Just two things ............. if you suffer from depression or take antidepressants you should give LARIAM (Mefloquine) a VERY wide berth. You will be better taking MALARONE, or if you have contraindications to Malarone, investigate DOXYCYCLINE.

I am not a doc, or a nurse, but I have visited Kenya including Mombasa. Anti-malarials there must be specific as the country has a specific type of malarial risk and taking paludine, chloraquine and their friends do NOT treat malarial from this type of mossie. And my niece who is a fully-trained doc, born and raised in Kenya, went home for a short visit from her training in the UK, and returned to the UK with malaria, and had personal experience of being a patient in a hospital, attended and treated by her peers (and thankfully her prof!) as a reward!!!
Hi rab, as has already been stressed, first port of call should be your GP/practise nurse, but here is some info to be getting on with.

http://www.nathnac.org/ds/c_pages/country_page_KE.htm#general
hi there, we had malarone malaria tablets but shop about as the prices vary on the internet, check with your nurse first though, we stayed at the voyager last year and it was fantastic,
rab,

As mentioned above, you'll need to go and speak to your doctor / practice nurse for latest advice on vaccinations and anti-malaria medication (via private prescription). You might want to have a look at the Kenya advice thread (bottom of the page) over on the Africa / Middle East forum. I have 6 holes in my arms from vaccinations and a box of 23 Malarone tablets; I'm off on sunday :cheers

Darren
Thank you all very much,
I have already looked into all of the medication suggested which has helped our family very much (we are all booked in to see the nurse next week).
I would like to pick your travelled brains again if I could , my wife and daughter were wondering if there is any local school or orphanage near by the voyager beach resort that they might supply a few bits and pieces pencils , paper ect ????.
again thanks to all in advance Rob :wave:
hi not sure where near the voyager but there is proberly about 10 different schools in the area.someone will let you know in the hotel i am sure.
also take chalk they seem to find it difficult to get this more than pens. :wave:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.