Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
From FC website regarding Visa to Kenya

Visa Information: A single entry visa is required (approx. £30). Visas can also be obtained on arrival with a cash payment of US$50 per person.

Also there's some info :- Click Here
Glynis,

Can you pay with sterling or kenya currency if so how much?
Thanks
Shazzer
Sterling or USD only - can't pay in Kenyan shillings.
Thanks gary and marks mum,
Approx how much in sterling?
Also was thinking of sending off for visa'a before we go but for four of us quite expensive(£30 each plus registered post both ways). We have one and a half hours before the connecting flight to Mombasa.....do you think that's enough time to allow queing up for a visa in Nairobi?
Thanks
Shazzer
Costs the same over there (£30 cash each) but you save by not needing passport photo's (although you can print them off yourself on your PC, they don't have to be good quality, just look like you), recorded delivery postage costs and the charge levied for postal orders.

Apparently some people download the forms from the Kenyan website and take them already completed with them so they can join the queue quicker, you don't need to attach the photo. There are even claims that you can get through immigration faster if you are in the 'need a visa' queue.

I'm in the 'get it in advance' camp myself, I just like the minimum of things to worry/bother about on arrival. I like to stress out on 'me in Kenya, luggage in Paris' scenario!

1 1/2 hours should be enough to get it done there. There was a total panic from people on our flight missing their connection to Mombasa with a similar schedule to yours, but only because the luggage 'belt' broke and some of their cases were delayed by well over an hour (ours too). Initially they were told they'd have to make their onward journey without them and they'd follow the next day, in the end they came out and all was fine. Not checked right through which I thought was strange.

Have a fabulous holiday. :lol:
Just thought I would mention that we sent of for our visa's a week ago and got them back yesterday. After reading several post's about the possible chaos and queing at Nairobi thought we would carry the extra cost of sending off to the Kenyan High Commission. An impressive turnaround time and now can relax a bit. We were worried as only a short time before connecting flight to Mombassa. Only two weeks to go!
Shazzer
Just filling out our visa application forms - can anyone suggest what we need to write in the following sections:

Contact Address in the Country of Residence

Full Names and Addresses of Friends, Firms or Relatives to be Visited

Thanks!
Just put the name and address of the hotel in the contact section ( basic address sufficient ). I left the other section blank ( if normal hotel holiday and not visiting friends/relatives etc.), my visa came back within 4 days.
Hi Beegee

Thanks for the advice. We are going on safari though so will be staying at 6 different hotels - so should we list the first one or all of them?

Thanks

Corinne
Sorry Corinne I gave you duff info before. In the contact address section this is where you put your home address in the UK. You put your hotel details in section 8 which is names & addresses of friends, firms etc.

In answer to your question the simple answer is I don't know !! If it was me, in section 8 I would put the name of each hotel and its location and date of arrival. Eg Southern Palms, Diani Beach - 10/03. Safari Hotel, Tsavo East - 17/03 and so on, there should be enough space in section 8 to do this.
I don't like to put a dampener on things, but I found Mombassa to be a right :swear .
The only thing worth seeing was the 2 big look-alike horns that cross the main road.

This was how I remember it, and I only spent 3 ~ 4 days there working / supervising, and I fully understand this is not long enough to see thge better ? things.

I appreciate there are always good things to see in most places, but I remember the Tiger beer was good.

On my first day there some younge sctote tried to barter me some exchange rate for my UK pounds.,
A co-worker just told me to do it only if I never wanted to see my money again!
I dont think this subject is about the merits of Mombasa. But anyway, hardly any tourists stay in Mombasa itself. The vast majority stay on the coast or go on safari, which is as far removed from Mombasa as you can get.

ps dont you mean Tusker beer ??
Hi there,
You are quite correct.
Hardly anyone would stay in Mombassa.
Unfortunatly I had to work there for a month :((
yes, Tusker beer,
G.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.