Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Re transfers with TR I've always found them reasonable. We've just come back from Benidorm & used TR for transfers, we paid £5.50 per person return.
The price they charge for transfers depends on which company they use in which resort. If the transfer company charges a lot, so will TR, and visa versa.
All TR do is book on Ryanair's website, pretending to be a private customer, and then charge the customer a fee for doing it. The problem is TR have breached Ryanair's website terms of use by screen scraping to get the information onto their website in the first place. This is what is strictly forbidden.

I imagine if Ryanair was bothered by this, they would take appropriate action.
The fact that they haven't, and must surely be aware of the situation, leads me to think that they are quite happy with the situaution.
Presumably Ryanairs booking and financial receipts systems are aware of who they are dealing with.
del949 wrote:
All TR do is book on Ryanair's website, pretending to be a private customer, and then charge the customer a fee for doing it. The problem is TR have breached Ryanair's website terms of use by screen scraping to get the information onto their website in the first place. This is what is strictly forbidden.

The fact that they haven't, and must surely be aware of the situation, leads me to think that they are quite happy with the situaution.
Presumably Ryanairs booking and financial receipts systems are aware of who they are dealing with.

TR pay using the customers card details so no they aren't aware of each individual booking. Of course they are aware that OTAs screen scrape, and as long as it doesn't cause them problems they don't proactively go looking for bookings made this way, although I did read a while ago about someone having their booking cancelled because of it.

They have initiated court action against On The Beach for screen scraping, and have already won a couple of cases in Europe against companies that screen scrape. OTB used to book using a fictitious email address which meant customers never got any of the emails RYR sent out, which resulted in over 300 complaints last year (people not checking in online etc) hence the court action.

I can't understand why people book flights through third parties anyway, especially the shonky OTAs who don't do anything you can't do yourself. It's better to book direct with the airline.
del949 wrote:

I don't think he will be happy about this at all as he seems to be a bit of a control freak. It's probably just a matter of time before they get taken to court and they are making hay while they can. As Ryanair have already taken company's in Europe and onthebeach to court, that doesn't indicate they are happy with this practice. They will only have so many lawyers they can devote to these matters at any one time and will have to prioritise.

It doesn't give a huge amount of confidence when you know they are prepared to use practices that are against the terms & conditions of the company they are booking flights with.
No need to assume SMa , I have never used TR , they are only an agent ( think I've heard that enough times now ) so I'm more than capable of arranging my own travel and actually getting what I booked and paid for , and I base my opinion on everything I read , the good , bad and ugly , I have never said TR are a dreadful company , I have commented on how people have felt they have been treated .

In regards to ryanair flights ......
Quote. " ryanair flights , only the shonky OTAs will carry on selling them ..... A decent company wouldn't be selling them anyway "

Quote " probably why I don't book with OTAs ". In regards to their booking processes .

Quote " as much as I would never use TR , their T&Cs are in big print and easy to understand "

These are not quotes from from " one thread ranters " but from from active HT members , one of them who worked in travel retail and appears to have a very in depth knowledge of how operators , agents , suppliers etc etc work , and I also note that they comment that many people's problems stem from not reading or understanding the T&Cs that TR have , but that doesn't excuse that new posters on here feel that they have had a problem .
I don't really mind who books with who , it's their holiday not mine , I'm not affected by what people choose , but I do have sympathy for people who spend their hard earned cash and don't get what they paid for , whether its the agent, supplier , bed bank , transfer company , next doors cat , whoever else's fault , it's the customer who is losing , to me it's like the blame game going round and round .

What sort of company uses customers card details to pay another supplier for a service ? Do customers know that their card details are being given to a third party ? I suppose they must do , because they have ticked the TR T&Cs box and that probably covers it , but I know I wouldn't want to do business with someone like that .

I'm pleased that you think John Lewis are a reputable company , so why make ( ok I going to be fair here ) a tenuous link that "never knowingly undersold " is similar to the price guarantee of TR ? The more I read of the actions and activities of TR it sows seeds of doubt that they are reputable .

To be clear , I do believe you when you say that you are satisfied with the service you have received from TR , I have no doubt that you are being truthful , that is the whole point of being here to truthfully say what we know .
Having always been satisfied with TR, I decided to compare their prices versus booking direct.
I used flights and hotels that I am familiar with and the results are travel republic £1014, direct £995.
A saving of £29 by DIY.
Strangely enough the flight was £2 cheaper with TR than the airline (jet2), although the hotel and transfers were dearer.
So appartently the cheapest option is to book flights with TR and the hotels transfers direct with the same agents TR use, or nearest eqiuvalent i.e. resort hoppa and alpha rooms, which would have made the saving £31
Possibly cheaper still to book direct with hotel but in the past I have usually found this to be dearer, of course if you are a repeat visitor it is easy to get a better deal.
By booking with TR you are doing a DIY holiday anyway, in as much as it's not a package and doesn't have package regs protection. You still need the same insurance as you would for a holiday where you book the separate elements yourself. By putting a middleman between yourself and a supplier, you are just putting one more link in the chain, and one more opportunity for someone to make a mistake IMO.
Don't ask me why, Del, even Steve the TR employee who used to come on here, couldn't tell me why but I have always found it cheaper to book Jet2 flights to Tenerife through TR rather than direct via the Jet2 website. The savings have usually been far greater than just £2 pp in that the TR price always included a checked in case for each passenger whereas you have to pay extra when booking direct with Jet2. Now that this is £22.50 per bag, travelling as a family of 6, that was a worthwhile saving. The first time we did it, even though it said on the e-ticket that it included checked in bags, I was prepared for a bit of a tussle at check-in but not all.

SM
TR don't include luggage on the Jet2 flights, or any other charter or lcc, I've looked at, unless you add it at extra cost. They've all worked out £1 pp more expensive, which is their transaction fee. Strangely they have the luggage £2 cheaper, and the online check in fee £2 dearer :que

They haven't actually got the Jet2 flights that I've booked for next year on their website.

I do use them to compare prices when requested, but I wouldn't book a straight flight for myself through them, or any other third party.
I guess they've changed it since we last booked to go to Tenerife then but thinking about it it is nearly two years since we last went.

SM
I recently booked a hotel through Travel Republic where it mentioned that the booking was refundable and i had up until the 6th August to confirm the booking for a hotel booked for the 27th August. All they charged was €1 deposit. I then unfortunately had to change my plans - as i feared I might (hence why i booked this particular booking as it gave me the time i needed to confirm). I then tried to cancel two days ago (still in July) and they tried to charge me €50.98 cancellation fee. Upon questioning this they were very unhelpful, told me they never would have advertised that i had until the 6th to confirm (basically telling me i was a liar) and kept referring me to their terms and conditions and not paying attention to my question. Very unhappy with the customer service. They obviously make it very confusing to lull people into a sense of security then implement charges which were not outlined upon booking. I advise you to stay away from Travel Republic.
I'd be very surprised if they allowed you to 'hold' a booking, I've never come across that before.

It maybe that the hotel concerned charged you the cancellation fee. What hotel was it?
eoineo wrote:
I recently booked a hotel through Travel Republic where it mentioned that the booking was refundable and i had up until the 6th August to confirm the booking for a hotel booked for the 27th August.

Was this all done over the phone or online?
is it possible that the hotel itself allowed a cancellation free of charge, and that the charge you have received is from travel republic for their own admin charges and are nothing to do with the hotel..

Surely if TR were offering free cancellation it would apply to all hotels.
The €1 isn't to hold the hotel. It's a low deposit on an actual booking. You had until 6th August to pay the balance of the booking. Standard cancellation terms apply to a low deposit booking, no matter who you book through.

" **Super low €1 hotel deposit unavailable on non refundable rooms, due to the exceptional value of these rooms. Under the €1 low deposit scheme, the balance of the accommodation cost is due 21 days prior to departure. Please note that standard cancellation terms apply."

I'm guessing you didn't actually read this information before you agreed to you?
Edit - sorry should have said 'before you agreed to it'.
As said there is no such thing as a 'holding fee' of £1.

I was on their site yesterday and it's quite clear it's a low deposit it clearly gives a date that you must pay the balance of the deposit by and the T&C's state that you have to pay the balance of the deposit if you decide not proceed with the final booking.
we had this. spent hours deliberating over accommodation and finally booked a holiday, only to have Travel Republic contact us the next day saying the room was no longer available. Super lame. Spent an hour and a half on the phone with Travel Republic trying to figure out an alternative, which we finally decided on. When we arrived there, there was massive construction work right next door, waking us up at 7am on the first morning of our holiday. I'd specifically asked the Travel republic agent on the phone about construction, as it had been mentioned in some trip advisor reviews. He said there was nothing noted so the construction work was finished.

We then had to spend a half day+ on our well earned holiday dealing with moving hotels. We've raised a complaint to get back the cancellation fee the hotel imposed. We'll see how they deal with it but if I don't get that back, I'll never be booking anything again through Travel Republic.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.