General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Travel sickness.
15 Posts
Do you want something to make her sleep? If so try Night Nurse - the one that you should not drive after taking it. My OH always takes this when he is doing long haul and once slept from Heathrow to Singapore after NN.

Google purple turtle travel sickness and you will find a catalogue of products where you may see something you have not thought about.

Put up the site address put did not show it all - are we now not allowed to put up URLS for companies Fiona?
Cant really help but i do sympathise with you as my daughter is not very good at travelling either
while on a boat trip in turkey she was really poorly had to lie down and cover her with a towel , others were also feeling rather ill , one of the crew members came around and gave those that were not very well a tablet and within minutes everyone was feeling great , and no effects from the tablets whatever they were they certainly done the trick.
My daughter used to suffer really badly with travel sickness,although the wrist bands did work for her. We tried all sorts of tablets, etc, but nothing seemed to work until a friend of mine who is a pharmacist told me to try Phenergan - it's an anti-histamine, but can also be used for travel sickness. It did help her, so might be worth a try.
I know it's not much consolation at the moment, but they do seem to grow out of it - my daughter's almost 18 now and is fine unless she's on a boat.
sunnypop, I do sympathise, my 7yr old daughter is the same and she also loves travelling, I too would welcome any suggestions as we have a 10 hour flight coming up next may.
cheers,
juby
Thanks everyone, i havn't tried phenergan so will give it a shot, fingers crossed might work for us too. x
Years ago, my eldest was prescribed Phenergen by our GP travel sickness, and it worked for him - he used to
suffer terribly with travel sickness when he was little.

A word to the wise though Anna - it has to be taken some time (can't remember how long) before you travel,
and it can cause sleepiness.

It may be worth your while having a chat with your GP.
He/she may be able to prescribe something for your daughter that you can't buy over the counter.

Best of luck Anna, I hope you find a remedy for your little one.
You too Juby. :)
I suffered with travel sickness as a child and then it seemed to disappear when I was in my teens, however as soon as I passed my driving test at 17 and started driving everywhere it came back. I now suffer terribly with travel sickness - cars (if it someone I don't know driving, or someone who throws the car round corners), coaches - every time I go on a coach or bus, even if only for 5 minutes I get the nausea and travel sickness feeling, planes especially and now it appears trains!! I can't understand this one - I used to commute to work everyday by train and tube and never felt unwell, went on a 2 hour train journey this week and threw up as soon as I got off it! I am not sure whether it was because it was in the dark - but I have travelled by rail in the dark loads of times and never been sick!

Now I am travelling long haul in 8 weeks and normally I take Sturgenon travel sickness pills, but these can be a bit hit and miss with me. I tried the travel bands as a child but they did not work for me - though whether they do as an adult I am not sure. I am tempted to try the bands for my flight but am worried that if they don't work, I will have to do the whole way feeling unwell/being sick as you have to take Sturgenon 2 hours before you fly for it to work - and it won't work once you already travelling and feeling ill! Anyone have any ideas? Also the phenergen - have never heard of this - would it be worth seeing my doctor? I don't mind feeling drowsy as its a long haul flight!!
Take the travel sickness pills AND use the travel bands. Belt and braces. That's what my son always does.
Hi Girlingreen, you poor thing. :ghug

Phenergen is (I think) a children's medicine - but I could be wrong.

If I was you, I would have a word with your GP and see if he/she can prescribe you
something to help.

I hope you get fixed up - have a wonderful holiday! :)
I suffer on trains too even if going forward and I look out I feel way dizzy *is puzzled* Not sure why? I can travel fine in cars on normal roads and motorways but not on hilly road and windy roads, or ferries, on trains, or coaches it seems. I know why I tend to stick to cars.
I suffer on trains too even if going forward and I look out I feel way dizzy *is puzzled* Not sure why? I can travel fine in cars on normal roads and motorways but not on hilly road and windy roads, or ferries, on trains, or coaches it seems. I know why I tend to stick to cars.

Tarry
When you look out the window, your eyes are not in sync with your ears or I should say the fluid filled chambers in your ears, which control balance.
To try and make it simple, on winding roads your head/body is being rocked about and this movement of the head sloshes the fluid around more and it gushes through the chambers where the sensory impulses tell the brain you're moving, as opposed to a straight road where the fluid is not being sloshed around as much.

Apart from being the organ of hearing, the fluid-filled inner ear serves as the sense organ for orientation, and every second of your life the inner ear is telling the brain where your head is in space.
Inside the ear there are semi-circular canals and it's the movement of the fluid through these canals, which constantly inform the brain as to the direction and the speed at which your head is moving.

If you're inside the cabin on a boat or inside a plane and not looking outside at the horizon, you get sea sick because your eyes tell your brain that you're not moving, while your inner ear picks up the movement of the boat/plane and says that you are, and therefore conflicting messages are sent to the brain"¦.this becomes more pronounced if the boat is rocking about in the sea or the plane hits some turbulence.

When you're sat travelling backwards on a train....again the senses are disorientated and conflicting messages are being produced....when you look out the window and the eyes see things whizzing by.....the messages being sent to the brain are really screwed up because the eyes tell the brain that you're moving at a fast speed, but the ears say you're not because you're sat still in a seat.
It's the same when you're sat on an aeroplane and then look out the window as the plane banks and the horizon moves...the eyes see moving things, but the inner ear detects that your body/head is not moving because you're sat still in an aeroplane seat.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
And then you grab the paper puke bag :yuck .......A good way to ease off the nausea is to close your eyes.

I've been driving for over 35 years and don't suffer with nausea, but put me in the back of a taxi and I feel terrible/dizzy when it goes around corners and you're being thrown around on the back seat.....once on the motorway, the symptoms ease off.

We used to go in a taxi to Manchester Airport from South Yorkshire and the route cuts across the Pennines/moors"¦it's a winding road and your ears go "pop" because at the peak of the moors you're x amount of feet above sea level, and then when you drop down into Lancashire and outer Manchester, the ears "pop" again, and all the time you're being thrown around on the back seat, consequently I used to feel like :swear by the time I got to the airport.
Going straight down the M1 to East Midlands Airport doesn't affect me, so it's quite obvious that the fluid gushing through the chambers within the inner ear, is being sloshed around more on winding roads.

When you're the one driving, you're focussing ahead and concentrating, this power of concentration sends messages to the brain, so your eyes can see what's coming next into vision and can keep up with the game of "movement messages".
This is why drivers are perfectly ok, but when they become a passenger, they can become sea sick wrecks.

Sanji
yes, I did find shutting my eyes helped but I had the pressing urge to lay on the floor :duh and I'd thought I'd fall off the chair :( Than I had the worse headache ever.
We used to use Phenergan to knock the kids out if we were coming back on a long haul flight. It's also prescribed for nausea and vomiting and so I should think that you can get it on prescription for your daughter.There are contraindications for people who have asthma though.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.