Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
travel sickness
13 Posts
My lad used to suffer something chronic.
We tried everything, nothing worked. Apart from when he used to drink only water prior to flight and slept the whole way.
We ended up selecting night flights and he slept the whole way.
good luck
thanks wooltonian,
You can obviously sympathise !
we fly at 7 in the morning, but have to leave our house at 3 (eugh!)
so hopefully she'll be tired enough to sleep on the plane.
there are some very nice flavoured travel sickness tablets available from Lloyds chemist especially for children, called Jelly Legs i think. We gave them to our boy when we went to Egypt as we were going out into the Red Sea to do diving..they also work for adults too as the sea was so rough one day we ended up sharing them around!!!!. :yuck if i remember, they were fruit flavoured and chewable and can be taken at the beginning of travel and last about 8 hours i think.
If they do not work, perhaps some ginger may do the trick. I hope you manage to find a cure for your daughter.
My mother in law suffers from sea sickness and she got an injection. Maybe your doctor can recommend something?
thanks for taking the time to reply guys,you know when you are dreading the flight and will try anything for her !
will give the ginger a go, sounds good !
Our daughter sufferes the same, a good sleep for a couple of nights before helps, though not that easy to get them to go to bed early with all exitement
Hey all

I am a final year pharmacy student, and conveniently enough have only recently had lectures on this very topic!

This is what I would think is probably going to suit you best.
Cinnarazine (Brand name is Stugeron in Ireland)
Children older than 5yrs 1 tabs 2 hours before travelling. This is for journeys greater than 4 hrs but less than 8 hrs. This will prob be a bit sedating so it'll prob help her to sleep too, which would be better all around

They also told us that the acupressure wrist bands were a bit more preferential to ginger though neither is proven.

Hope this helps,
catherine
thankyou catherine, thats very helpfull, do I just ask the pharmasist for these tablets or can you get them on prescription ?
You can get Stugeron at any pharmacy or if you have a good relationship with your pharmacist, just ask for Cinnarazine, the generic name, and they are a lot cheaper.

luci :wave
Thanks so much, all your help has been so much appreciated,
will go to the chemist tomorrow !
My husband suffers terribly from seasickness, but has never been sick since taking Stugeron/cinnarizine.

luci :wave
No problem, hope all goes well and you have a great time. any more info needed let me know

catherine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.