America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi Gill

Many thanks for posting your trip report :tup

You certainly had plenty of exercise! :wink:

Pippy :D
Hello again!

I'd be really grateful if you'd post a review for your hotel HERE when you have the time to do so.

Thanks.

Pippy :D
Great Report!!

can you tell me more about the food tour in Greenwich Village?

Thanks
Jaime C :wave
Jill - me and Jaime obviously love our food for I too want to know more about the food tour please....
It sounds quite interesting and possibly something we could so next year when we go.
puddleduck..... :oops: yep I love my food :rofl I think I need to be like this... :zip

:glynis
When We flew out of JFK we had to wait 1 1/2 hour wait as well it seems the norm but not good with a three year old son.
Jaime - my tummy is still rumbling....... anyway, I found this http://www.foodsofny.com/greenwichvillage.php
Looks like this could be what Jill did.....
Thanks Puddleduck, making me more hungry looking at that site :lol:

Have marked it in favourites, think it will definately be on the cards for October.

Thanks again!
Sorry guys for not getting back to you! Yes, we booked the food tour through the website you found. There are 2 different tours on offer but we wanted the Greenwich Village one.

Basically, there are no more than 16 on the tour and you meet up at a designated area in GV. From there you are given a brief history of the area along with a brief itinerary of where you will be going and then off you go! Our first stop was a pizza shop - I have never seen such huge pizzas!!! We each had a slice, freshly baked, and it was divine. Next stop was a confectioners - we met up here initally - and you get to have some very nice kind of pastry (can't remember what it was, but it was nice!). Onwards then to taste some kind of meat balls - boy, were they nice! The first three stops are not far from each other, but then we went on a longer walk (about 10 mins!) after that. We also went into restaurants and shops to see what the guide was talking about and you could also sample bits too.

We also went into a cookie shop and had fresh-baked cookies - fantastic! We went into what looked like a little passageway which then took you to a bar called a "speakeasy" - this was hidden during prohibition and apparently some famous people went there during prohibition. You wouldn't know it was there unless you had been shown. It was really interesting. The guide showed us the apartment block that was used for the outside filming of "Friends" and we were also shown all other sorts of styles of houses which was great as some were as old as the village itself. It was good to see the different architecture. The guide went and got a loaf from a bakery and took us to a cheese shop which had it's own "training room", so we all sat down and ate bread with different types of cheese and olives!!! A well-earned rest.

After this we had another walk-round and ended up at our final destination which was - a kebab shop!!! I had to laugh becuase a lot of the Americans had never had a kebab in pitta bread before, so that was one up to us!

It was really enjoyable and very interesting to learn about the area, the people and the shops. You are also provided with a bottle of water each so you don't go thirsty. It's also good to go back into the shops later to buy things because you do get to see so many wonderful foods!

I hope this has helped a bit. Let me know if you need further info.

Gill
great report! One day I'll get there!
Thanks Gill! That tour sounds great, think we will definately do that.

n
Hi everyone.

Well, booked up for 3 nights feb 2008, seems ages away!!
What i would like to ask is how much money would you take on a 3 day NY trip including food.
Never been before so i'm a newie
:lol:
Hi Charley
I too would like to go to N/Y in Feb2008 and was wandering how much it would cost, do you have any advise please on where to stay etc?
Hiya

I have booked a 3 day trip for £500 roughly.
The good thing about this site is that you can look at loads of hotel reviews to help you decide were to go.
I am now counting down the months, days and seconds :D
Hi Liz, here's a link the NYC city break thread. There are loads of hints and tip on there - http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=16727

Hope that helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.