Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
There are a number of trips to go on and you can book them at local Travel Agents once you're there, it'll work out cheaper than using your hotel rep. For local sightseeing etc you can use one of the local taxi's, everybody uses these as they're cheep and quite knowledgeable, just find a driver that you like and use him all the time but always ask the price of where you want to go before you get in the taxi and try and haggle with him. Candolim is a good choice as there's plenty of bars and restaurants but you might struggle to find a beach party (yes they usually are for the younger person and found in other areas).
Hello and welcome to the madness of the Goa forum. Im sure you are going to enjoy Goa and love it as much as we all do.

There are a lot of things you can do it all depends on how busy you want to be. Trying out the beach shacks and eating the great food is just the start. The night markets are always fun checking out the bands and the food. A nice experience is going to stay in a beach hut for a few days. You can either just venture slightly further north or try down south. Its a great feeling waking up on the beach.

http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/Bjornagain2008/DSCF0008.jpg
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr232/Bjornagain2008/DSCF0003.jpg

Here is a link to one of the many tour operators. This will give you an idea of some trips and a lot of them you can do yourself with a good taxi driver. However the tour operators also provide a good service and can provide a lot of info about your destination.

http://www.daytrippergoa.com/
Thank you so much for the information so far, i have it all in my favourites xx
If you have time, I would highly recommend the three day trip to Hampi, by train. You will meet the locals on the train, and be overwhelmed with the beauty and culture at Hampi. There are details on the Daytripper site .

xx lassi
I agree Hampi is a great trip about eight hours each way by train for about £55 but might be for next time as there is a lot to do with out loosing three days on an out of state trip the first time you go.

Most people need at least 24 hours to get over the flight and acclimatise to the way of life, so plan to stay local for a few days to unwinded, Anjuna market is on a Wednesday (by boat or taxi) and the night markets are on Saturdays or the waterfall and spice plantation will to keep you busy (taxi) if you want and Wednesday evening is the HT meet where you can get a lot of tips on things to do
we will be going to the HT meets of course, looking forward to meeting everyone.

look forward to meeting you Michelle you can add you name on the meet thread if you want to...bet you love Goa ... i know how much you love Sharm so really hope so!!

and Wednesday evening is the HT meet where you can get a lot of tips on things to do

and enjoy a coffee :rofl and meet lots of lovely people :really

Chilly
hi derwent, was a first timer myself till april and cant wait to go back in jan. my fav trips and stuff to do

terokol fort (must)
mandrem beach (paradise and you can stay there too!)
ponda temples
old goa
anjuna night market (saturdays)
anjuna day market (wednesday and go by boat from candolim, calangute or baga)
any bus ride
the 'public bar' in calangute ( real indian pub, v.cheap and a favourite for an evening drink but beware the loo!)
beach shack nightlife (and i'm 44)!

all of these are local to candolim. i visited for 3 weeks and there is so much to explore...it's best to pace yourself.

have a great holiday
:cheers This makes me want to go NOW ! Thank you for so much information, i can tell by everyones replies that all you Goans have a true passion for the place.

As Chilly correctly says having gone to Egypt 9 times since 2005 i feel a change is on the cards and what a better place to explore than Goa :D
Lot's of good advice here. Personally, I wouldn't do any lengthy trips on my first visit - you need to absorb the Indian ways and you'll have a great time just doing the beaches, restaurants and markets. Just do some research and ask the folks at the Carvery meets. Lots of excellent free advise there. Just don't do too many coffees and forget it!

We are in our middle 40s so are the beach parties a good idea or are they for the youngsters ?

Age is in your head in Goa! If it feels right - do it!
I often do 'meet' with people from HT, so a few more will be welcoming especially with all the advice so far. I feel this is a good place to go as we love meeting the locals and trying to learn some simple words as well as seeing there culture. I love the banter and bartering, thats part of the fun.

By the time we go i should have some variable ideas on what and where to go, and searching on the net as well,. Thank you x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.