General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Absolutely ;)

I also think there are a lot of misconceptions about Turkey.
Kedi Yavrusu wrote:
I also think there are a lot of misconceptions about Turkey.

Indeed - and I hold my hands up and admit to being guilty of that myself before my first visit. I thought Turkey would be a very dry and somewhat barren country and my first impression on landing at Dalaman was how green and lush everything was. On our transfer to the resort, I couldn't believe how beautiful the scenery was - but that was nothing to the warmth and hospitality of the people, it was that which really made our holiday special, and why we've been going back year after year, something I never thought I'd do on holiday. Turkey really does have a special charm all its own and it's a pity if people let any preconceived notions put them off visiting.
I had no idea that it would be so green and beautiful either. Luckily I first went about 20 years ago so not so many people had been then and I had no-one telling me I would be hassled, "pawed", not left alone etc. In fact I didn't know anyone who had been to turkey before.

When I got there I found a beautiful country with friendly people and such warm welcome that I fell in love with the place.
Hiya All

I think Gumbet Jakki is right when she says "It is one of those Marmite countries" you do either love it or hate it.

For us, we LOVE it...................

We have flown into all the man touristy airports and stayed at lots of the resorts and ventured into the locale' to see what we will see.

Some resorts do have a bad reputation for sending out the hassle brigade, and they can drive you a bit loopy with the never ending cry of "Cheaper than Asda" or "Cheaper than Primark" and one or two can get a little personal, but for the best part it is harmless banter, and you have to consider that the majority of the workers are seasonal, they have to make their money while the sun shines, when at the end of the season they return to their towns or villages, or go off into further education. They will get a poor basic wage, and will make more money by enticing you into the shop to buy the genuine fake watches or tee shirts. We are very good at avoiding the hassle now, and we listen to the stories from the newbies who are either shell shocked or have enjoyed every second, it is horses for courses.

We have never experienced "Slimy Turkish men" only absolute courtesy at almost every turn, and there are what I would determine "Gits" in most countries who push the limit a bit too far.............but, I am sure we can all think of a good enough reply, I know I can!!!!

I can understand people being disappointed with certain resorts, someone commented about the never ending rows of AI hotels, and although we have always gone AI, there are certain regions where there is very little to do once outside the hotel, but, these hotels are resorts within themselves, and cater specif :sun2 ically for the guests who want their holiday on total chill time, and the most excercise they get is lifting another cocktail while lying on a sun bed.....................this is a personal choice, and Thank the Lord we all look for different things.

We have always tried to combine, luxury hotels, within walking distance of a lovely town or village, a good Dolmus service that can take you further afield, and plenty to see once outside the grounds, it can be done, and we are proof positive.

Turkey is a wonderful diverse country, that offers everything to all people, from the basis sc apartment, to the high end luxury hotels, its prices have increased over the years, but surely that is in line with everything else that has increased price wise. Some of the Hotels that have rocketed in price are, no longer value for money, and some have increased dramatically from last year, but, we have a choice, we can always say "NO"

We have visited, Spain, Greece, Portugal, Tangier, Gibraltar, America and Turkey, and pound for pound, although the prices have gone up, Turkey offers the best value for money of any of them, the locals are wonderful, kind and spend time talking with you, they meet and greet you as long lost friends and the extra effort they put into looking after you goes a very long way.

We all know what suits us, we all know what we desire from a holiday, and we all work very hard to get the holiday we want, let us be happy with our choices, and let all us Turkey geeks just get on with it..

I LOVE TURKEY, THE PERFECT DESTINATION............... :sun2
My first holiday to Turkey was a late deal in October 1990 to Kusadasi,
It cost £249 for 1 week HB to the hotel Pigale which was in the Kuster area.
We flew on the last Dan Air flight out of our local airport!
In those days it was very rural and the hotel food was so bad we ate out every night.
I remember buying lovely chicken sandwiches(kebaps)on the beach for 60,000TL which was £1 then.
Exactly 19 years later(last October) we went to Icmeler to the Hotel Devamli for 2 weeks.It cost £265 with Thomas Cook.
We still paid £1 (2.50TL) for a chicken sandwich at one of the beach front cafes so prices have hardy gone up apart from alcohol.
We have stayed in 5 star AI hotels but now we prefer family owned small hotels.
There is so much variety in Turkey and something to suit everyone and after our 1st visit to an awful hotel it didnt put us off and we returned 10months later.
We have been going 2-3 times for the last few years and I am always hesitant to try another destination.
We have made many friends over the years,both locals and other holidaymakers. :sun2
Our first time to Turkey last year after years of Cyprus,sorry to say that Olu Deniz did not impress us the whole place looked like a shanty town, the beach was ok but the sea another thing I learned to swim many moons ago in an old stone quarry that was easier to get into the water than the sea at Olu Deniz.Back to Cyprus this year for us even if the Euro is low.
i still think turkey is cheaper than spain for a family......but then it depends on where you eat ect

turkey prices have gone up, and we noticed this more a couple of years ago, but last year they didnt seem to go up at all....

we have done bodrum and icmeler, and loved every holiday, and made some special friends.

but i have to agree with sanja, we once went to marmaris, to the under cover bazaa, and i felt very intimidated, being watched by the stall holders and shop keepers, and they even started to walk along side us, we couldnt get out of there fast enough......

cant say as we have ever had a problem with hassle in icmeler, as we just cheerfully say, no thanks.....and give them a nice smile......they just tell us to have a nice evening.....i like that, its better than being ignored....

as we are doing turkey and spain this year, i shall see if my opinions change......
We went to Spain,Cyprus and Turkey last year and I would say that Cyprus was the most expensive,we're going to Turkey for our main holiday but will spend a week in Spain too.We stay in a small village about an hour from the airport so prices are ,in my opinion more on a par wih Turkey although we have only eaten out a few times so I could be wrong.T.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.